Malzahar's Ult

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RM Bash

04-24-2011

Ok... this is going to be a bit of a QQ thread... But does anyone think his ult is OP as all he-ll?

For one, it's a SUPPRESSION, so cleanse won't do anything against it...

Yes, I know you can buy a qss and use it's active to escape it, but qss though not one of the upper tier item in terms of cost, it's still a nice chunk of gold that 95% of champs would rather be spending on other items. BV is a soft counter at best as well, since it's easily poked off before nether grasp is launched.

Secondly, it has an INSANE 1.5 ap ratio for a caster... the damage this causes in a one on one fight is just ridiculous... even in team fights, it still ridiculous (though it can be interrupted with cc; this point is usually moot if the malzahar is any good with positioning and timing), it's often not before it's done its job and either killed that person, or done so much damage that person is forced to retreat from the team fight.

Third, it's cooldown is stupid short for such a good ultimate... 90 seconds? really? imo, it should have a cooldown similar to amumu's....

But patch after patch, malzahar remains unchanged... There must be something im missing here, because he consistently dominates my games, (13xx elo). So im asking for tips against malzahar. How do you counter his ult? Or is it as broken as it appears in the hands of a skilled malzahar who doesn't just use it indiscriminately (i.e. situations where he can be cc'd, killed, or otherwise interrrupted?

A noob needs help.

Odie el perro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-24-2011

Get QSS, if playing ranked: get cleanse.

iCaughtEmAll

04-24-2011

He is squishy as hell, and his ult can be canceled by stun, snare, silence, and fear

Beddlam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-24-2011

merc treads help as well, but the real key is have a teammate nearby that can CC him and interrupt his channel. No channeled skill in the game now is OP

RM Bash

04-24-2011

Thanks for the reply guys...

Cleanse won't help though, its a suppression not a stun.

QSS takes some time to build, can't be rushed as first item (for most champs) unless you want to be useless.

Snares do not cancel channeling if i remember correctly, and pretend that this malzahar isn't stupid, and waits until the hard cc's are thrown out... if he positions himself well, you just can't get to him, short of suiciding (and even then you'll likely be killed while he pops his zhonya's hourglass active and lives... His ap ratios are soo good that he can basically one shot a tank if he's a little fed. MR doesn't do very much because of his insane ap ratios.

Merc treads do help a little bit. Didn't think of that for some reason, so in theory it should cut about 35% of suppression time, and around 15- 20% of the damage... Good tip! keep em coming guys

EDIT: not saying that he's so game breaking it's impossible to win these games... I just think the amount of attention you have to give him is kind of like pre nerf heimer, where you have to rape him all game or he'll rape you.

Kreinas

04-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidog889 View Post
Ok... this is going to be a bit of a QQ thread... But does anyone think his ult is OP as all he-ll?

For one, it's a SUPPRESSION, so cleanse won't do anything against it...

Yes, I know you can buy a qss and use it's active to escape it, but qss though not one of the upper tier item in terms of cost, it's still a nice chunk of gold that 95% of champs would rather be spending on other items. BV is a soft counter at best as well, since it's easily poked off before nether grasp is launched.

Secondly, it has an INSANE 1.5 ap ratio for a caster... the damage this causes in a one on one fight is just ridiculous... even in team fights, it still ridiculous (though it can be interrupted with cc; this point is usually moot if the malzahar is any good with positioning and timing), it's often not before it's done its job and either killed that person, or done so much damage that person is forced to retreat from the team fight.

Third, it's cooldown is stupid short for such a good ultimate... 90 seconds? really? imo, it should have a cooldown similar to amumu's....

But patch after patch, malzahar remains unchanged... There must be something im missing here, because he consistently dominates my games, (13xx elo). So im asking for tips against malzahar. How do you counter his ult? Or is it as broken as it appears in the hands of a skilled malzahar who doesn't just use it indiscriminately (i.e. situations where he can be cc'd, killed, or otherwise interrrupted?

A noob needs help.
Morgana + Black shield = spell immune

RM Bash

04-24-2011

yeap that black shield is soooo awesome.

Do you think she's a counter pick to malz in ranked? Should i learn to play her?

Eredas

04-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidog889 View Post
yeap that black shield is soooo awesome.

Do you think she's a counter pick to malz in ranked? Should i learn to play her?
To counter Malz, I'd say yes. She has great laning power with the spell vamp and decent enough push. Black Shield is fantastic as counter, too. Her spell kit is great in so many team comps, and can range from support to a pretty powerful AP carry if you get good with the roots and ganking or can arrange team fights instead.

Another good counter to Malz is Gangplank. He doesn't have the laning power that Malz does, but Remove Scurvy is a HUGE pain the the butt. More than Black Shield. RS drops ALL the debuffs (silence, visions, and grasp). I hate laning vs GP when I play Malz.

Kalshazzak

04-24-2011

It's not OP because it's single target and locks malz into place via channel. The suppression part while strong (it is not affected by merc treads btw) is easily countered by QSS. Now in response to your 95% of champs would rather spend the money else-where remark; if malz via his ult is killing you, WTF are you doing not buying it. If you spend the money else-where, great you have more damage, but you still are getting lit-up by Nether Grasp. The only thing I agree with you on is his ult having slightly too good of an AP ratio.

The best way to counter is to just dedicate a team-mate with a hard CC to wait for his ult. Morg can be an okay counter, but if malz can land Q on morg or to break Black Shield before using the ult then the lack of immediate hard CC becomes a hinder to countering imo. I'm pretty sure Eredas is wrong about GP. Scurvy to my knowledge only removes movement impairing CC, so blinds and silences are unaffected. I've never had a GP remove Nether after landing CotV, but that could just be great timing+luck. Soraka is the biggest pain the the ass imo. MR aura, a heal to negate your burst, and an instant long range silence to stop the ult cold if used on the carries.

ironblades

04-24-2011

merc treads don't effect suppression