Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[GUIDE] - Mundo - How did u kill me so fast!??!??!!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EmperorCookie

03-07-2010

I just tried something else.

To go without the cost of the Beads, I tried starting with a vamp scepter. No chance, you don't get enough kills at start with this one, the leech isn't appearent enough at the start of the game. I really think beads are the way to go, just upgrade them to spirit visage later when you have your 2 phantoms.

Krofek

03-07-2010

If you leave out spirit, then maybe you should start with a doran's shield instead. 120 health + 8 armor +8hp/5 is quiet nice imo.

ADCisMyReligion

03-07-2010

Wish you didn't make this guide, I've always used this kind of item build and raped the fools who start with Pendent and then build a tank Mundo. Now everyone will be using this build on their Mundo, that's not cool

PoderOdunk

03-07-2010

Just wanted to chime in a bit with how I start off Mundo.

I use a full page of crit chance - 20%
I max out the offensive mastery tree
I get exhaust/rally

When the game starts, I note which champs don't have flash, especially squishier ones.

When the game starts, the first thing I buy is the brawlers gloves (which eventually build into phantom dancer, so no waste of money) for the additional crit chance and a couple health pots.

I don't know excactly what my crit chance is, but is over 33% I think at this point.

I do NOT get cleaver first - instead I get masochism for the 40 bonus damage (which is HUGE at level 1)

I've already noted who doesn't have a flash - when the laning starts, as soon as it is possible, I exhaust the squishiest, non flash, enemy hero in my lane - pop masochism and just start pounding away.

I reserve rally for if it's needed or not. Most of the time, I don't have to use rally to get first blood - but I will drop it if needed. Many times, if the other champ hasn't retreated far enough at this point, dropping rally and turning on the second champ will result in two kills at level 1.

I would say I get first blood 80% of the games where I play Mundo. I've had several times where I was able to 2 shot the opposing champ - followed by an all chat of 'WTF!'

40 bonus damage, critting, at level 1 does more damage than anything else that early on to my knowledge (maybe with the exception of shaco deceive w/ elixir and full crit dmg page). The only way I could imagine doing more dmg would be if you started with a red elixir, but it's just not needed.

Once you do this in lane, trust me, the opposing champs play much more defensively and laning becomes much easier overall.

Level 2 comes very quick, so then of course it's cleavers for 2 and 3, a point in agony at lvl 4, cleaver at 5, then ult... etc, etc...

This is by no means the 'best' way to play him, but it fits my style and works out quite well for me - and since I hadn't seen anyone post this strat specifically, I felt like someone might find it useful/interesting :P

Have fun!

TheMountainGoat

03-07-2010

could someone record a video of them playing a game with this playstyle? i used to play tank mundo, and he's pretty fun.. that was several months ago. I tried this build the other day in a practice game, and i did absolutely terrible. it seemed like everything just didn't work as well as everyone is saying it does. i don't understand how you guys do it.

EchoRex

03-08-2010

Well the biggest difference that you're going to have to get used to, is that playing Mundo requires you to understand how your health is going to drop from your own abilities and incoming damage combined, and how much damage you're going to be able to apply to a target or targets. This is a constant thought process going on in the background.

Early/Mid game isn't played the same way Late game is going to be played.

Early game you're fairly fragile to burst damage, but able to recover exceptionally quickly if toting a Rejuv Bead and x6 heal pots. Your damage output is very consistent after level three, before that it is rather streaky or ineffectual compared to other champions due to low innate attack speed and low Cleaver percentage/minimum damage.

Mid game you're going to start to feel sturdy, but don't be fooled completely, you will have a few levels of near immortality if you play aggressive and also watch potential incoming damage levels, but that will end around level fourteen or fifteen. That is when the mages and carries tend to finish their initial build, and will have high burst or DPS. If you haven't gotten enough damage/life steal yet to compete, you're going to hurt badly.

Late game. Mundo hits critical mass around level 17, or around 30minutes into the game. At this point you should be in either the 75%+ crit chance ballpark with over 100 armor/resist or in the -60 APen and 30-40 crit chance ballpark with about the same armor/resist. You fear no single champion, and most duos give you only so much pause as to decide who is getting mauled first. Depending on if you took Merc, Ninja or Zerker boots, based upon what you saw on the other teams roster, you can fairly safely ignore most CC or Auto attack champions long enough to savage the focus fire targets.

Empyron

03-08-2010

Every game I've played with mundo as dps mundo (and done fairly well in) I take so much **** for not building him like a tank. Teammates just don't understand. They feed and try and blame me saying "Why aren't you going tank noob?" ... I guess some people just don't understand dps mundo.

ObjectiveTruth

03-08-2010

Quote:
PoderOdunk:
Just wanted to chime in a bit with how I start off Mundo.

I use a full page of crit chance - 20%
I max out the offensive mastery tree
I get exhaust/rally

When the game starts, I note which champs don't have flash, especially squishier ones.

When the game starts, the first thing I buy is the brawlers gloves (which eventually build into phantom dancer, so no waste of money) for the additional crit chance and a couple health pots.

I don't know excactly what my crit chance is, but is over 33% I think at this point.

I do NOT get cleaver first - instead I get masochism for the 40 bonus damage (which is HUGE at level 1)

I've already noted who doesn't have a flash - when the laning starts, as soon as it is possible, I exhaust the squishiest, non flash, enemy hero in my lane - pop masochism and just start pounding away.

I reserve rally for if it's needed or not. Most of the time, I don't have to use rally to get first blood - but I will drop it if needed. Many times, if the other champ hasn't retreated far enough at this point, dropping rally and turning on the second champ will result in two kills at level 1.

I would say I get first blood 80% of the games where I play Mundo. I've had several times where I was able to 2 shot the opposing champ - followed by an all chat of 'WTF!'

40 bonus damage, critting, at level 1 does more damage than anything else that early on to my knowledge (maybe with the exception of shaco deceive w/ elixir and full crit dmg page). The only way I could imagine doing more dmg would be if you started with a red elixir, but it's just not needed.

Once you do this in lane, trust me, the opposing champs play much more defensively and laning becomes much easier overall.

Level 2 comes very quick, so then of course it's cleavers for 2 and 3, a point in agony at lvl 4, cleaver at 5, then ult... etc, etc...

This is by no means the 'best' way to play him, but it fits my style and works out quite well for me - and since I hadn't seen anyone post this strat specifically, I felt like someone might find it useful/interesting :P

Have fun!

I always thought this would be a good idea but never tried it. It works amazingly well i found.
Like you said, you need to make sure you target a non-flash squishy hero and bam they're dead lvl 1.

I'm gonna add this to the guide, so at lvl 1 you have options. I was thinking, grab the rejuv beads just to be safe, then don't choose your skill until you see who you're laning against then go cleaver or masochism.

Didn't realize there were so many Mundo fans out there!

Denambren

03-08-2010

So.. I hate to be the party pooper at this newbie celebration of Mundo's greatness, but you should know that Mercury's Treads does not stack with Mundo's Burning Agony for CC reduction.

This opens up a new choice for boots for your builds - Mercury's Treads is a waste with Mundo unless you're looking to build MR-stacked tank, but personally I go with boots 3 when playing Mundo.

Rueian

Recruiter

03-08-2010

All I have to say is.... Fort Pot + 2 Health Pots (or Ward if alot of Invis) for starter items
(Hello extra HP and damage)

I personally Build Mundo like a tank but i throw atma's on him My late game build hits for around 300 or so (with E skill buff [209 natural ussually since i dont get to get all my items often])

I'm not a high level player (25 at the moment) but i'm working on my crit chance book. I run Exhaust + Ghost for better chase and am slowly moving to Ignite + Ghost for those ones who seem to 'almost' die and for some extra DPS

When I get a chance maybe i'll post my Leaguecraft build so you can see it if you are interested. Mundo players should band together and show everyone else that he is just a sleeping giant.