[GUIDE] - Mundo - How did u kill me so fast!??!??!!

12345678 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EchoRex

03-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarklordJoseph View Post
Mundo Cannot CC as well as other tanks, but with his clever doing a ton of damage
every 3 seconds, they are forced to cast all there abilities on you.

Im not saying DPS mundo is bad, because im not. Although he doesnt CC as
well as other tanks, Mundo can take alot more damage and deal alot more
damage then other tanks. And still have the movement speed, and regen to
escape better then other tanks.

He is a very unique character, 3 of his abilities work better when he has higher
Hit points, and 1 ability makes his a good DPS hero.
Mundo doesn't CC very well, exactly my point. Why target a big ball of HP that will reduce CC and heal himself while dealing low anything but last?

Cleaver does not do a ton of damage. It is reduced by resist and is only effective against HP only stackers before they drop lower than 50%, at which point due to Cleaver not scaling in damage with AD or even AP, it is much less effective than even slow Masochism attacks that an HP centered build uses, much less what an AS/Crit or AS/APen build would be doing.

Burning Agony reduces CC duration and increases DPS in its own right, the first a feature any other melee Carry cannot perform, and is at a distinct disadvantage to Mundo from the lack.
Sadism increases effective health and movespeed allowing Mundo to stay engaged longer without running, making jousting through bushes and reappearing an effective strategy, a key strength and advantage Mundo has over other melee Carries.
Cleaver allows Mundo to stay close to targets and remove chunks of HP stackers, something other melee Carries cannot due effectively.
And Masochism, huge spammable damage boost, what more is there to say.

That would look more like four abilities in favor of Carry with three in favor of surviving if you include the Passive for a third for survival enhancing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballcoozy View Post
If I play a straight dps Mundo, I end up having a lot of problems staying alive in team fights. I really like the phantom dancer on him. Even when tanking with him you cannot ignore dps, because you have no other way to make enemies target you.

What health/survivability items would you recommend? I know you were hating on warmogs, but it is so good with his ult and passive. I usually find banshee's a bit excessive with burning agony, spirit visage and merc treads.
Warmog's is the best pure health stack item in the game, but only gives Sadism 25hp/s more than a Spirit Visage gives Sadism, for almost three times the cost. And that isn't including the effects of magic resist reducing damage to increase the effective HP gain.

Before the SV change, Banshee's was generally better due to costing less; providing a full cancel to damage/CC instead of waiting for a reduced duration to expire on the CC, which allows you to close faster to apply damage, to not require you to always drain your health pool before full engagement to negate CC, and blocks knockbacks, pulls and throws; while having a more effective low cost build progression.

It is still better for the same reasons, but isn't rushed anymore, taken late game most often, due to how well Spirit Visage fits into a build being rushed while allowing time and gold to be spent on damage potential and mitigation, which gives Mundo the threat he needs to be a legitimate pick.

Also remember, reducing incoming damage is better than increasing heal amounts for effective HP. Grabbing a Negatron Cloak early/mid will increase your effective staying power much more than grabbing a Giant's Belt. This can make every difference in getting a kill, staying in lane, or dying against any ability reliant champion.

Stope

03-05-2010

Not to break any love bubbles, but you HP lovers REALLY need to consider the fact that there are TRADE-OFFS when you buy items.

YES A WARMOGS WTFOWNS, especially on mundo. But that is money you could have spent on other items! This is so obvious, yet a couple of the previous posts talk about how good it is because of his ult/other implications.

An item doesn't just need to be kickass, it needs to be more kickass than what you could have bought with the money. Your arguments for that particular item need to reflect that. Solely saying, "It's cool because it works with his passive and ult bro" is lousy salesmanship.

You also need to consider that HP isn't always the best thing to stack when you're trying to get beefed out. Improving your armor and/or magic resist may give you more effective HP's for less money!

As far as cleavers:
Use them as much as you can. When they hit, even a lower health person they do vastly more damage to your target than they take from your life to use.
Best times to use them:
When your team is focusing fire on a high priority, target. For example twitch that is ulting your faces!
Also keep in mind they do more damage the higher percantage health your target is. If you are fairly certain that low health person next to you is already going to die, go ahead and hit the next person up with a cleaver as it will do more damage, aswell as slow (preventing him from moving out of proximity of you and your allies attacks).

I would not suggest (in most cases) saving it for chasing someone being as its on such a short cooldown, that even if you do begin to chase them, it usually repops while they are still in range. It is also generally easier to hit someone once they are a second or two into fleeing than immediately as their movement is more predictable after their initial evasive maneuvers are complete.

Late game:
I've never considered mundo to be a late game hero. This is for a few reasons. Looking at his cleavers as a prime example:
1) The peroid of harassing is not as elongated as it is in the early to mid laning phases where you can usually widdle down your adversary with a number of skillful cleavers to the face.
2) The damage on cleavers maxes out mid game. Late game, they are doing the exact same amount of damage as they were mid game, despite your opponents having higher resists and more hp. This makes them comparatively weaker.

-This is quite different from most other champions' abilities that continually get better.

I wouldn't say he is terrible late game, but there are some heroes that really start to stand out late game (cough:kassadin), and mundo definitely doesn't make the list.

AutoSponge

03-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObjectiveTruth View Post
Also, please fof the love of god don't buy warmog's armor. Honestly its a waste of money in MOST games. You need about 120 minion kills to fill it. Check your history, you'll see that after a 45 minute game most people don't even get 120 minion kills. Imagine, you get it at the 18 minute mark, there's no way you'll filling it and if you don't it becomes a big waste of money. An unfilled Warmogs is one of the most inefficient items in the game for health. You could buy 3 giants belts for the same price and it would equal, 1350 life, almost doulbe what a fresh warmogs gives you.
Even a 1/2-stacked Warmog's is one of the top 10 value buys in the game (right behind a full stacked Rod of Ages). You get over 11 stacks for a champion kill (no stack loss on death), so if you combo between champions and minions, that's only 3 champion kills and 30 minions to make a 1/2 stacked Warmog's. You can get that in 5-10 minutes of any game easy--unless your build sucks--or you suck.

Chonk

03-05-2010

dude your guide rocks, i've just won 5 games in a row with mundo.

I also found warmogs isnt that good for dps mundo because you sacrifice to much gold, which you need for boots and the start of your pb.

nekitamo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

03-05-2010

I just tried out this guide. Surprisingly, it works very well. My only recommendation is to get exhaust instead of cleanse, and to get 1 or 2 Heart of Golds in the first 10 minutes of the game, if you are lucky enough to land a kill. The extra HP and armor makes this build all the more effective, and they pay back for themselves quite nicely!

coalabear

03-06-2010

Read through this thread a few times, but can't seem to find the masteries. Are they posted? If so, excuse my blindness.

EmperorCookie

03-06-2010

First of all I wanted to say, according to the [Directory] Complete List of Guides, this is the only Mundo guide that does it well. Pretty awesome.

I would change the item build a bit but you have the spirit of Mundo!

Many people asked for masteries. Here's what I use.

My summoner spells are (Teleport OR Exhaust) and Heal.

Teleport to lane faster/backdoor because Mundo drops towers SO fast.
Exhaust for early game kills.
Heal for everything! Someone comes to gank you because you're half health... Let's say Ryze... So you're half health, he throws his nukes at you. You use heal, preventing your death because your items are attack speed and crit. Then you pop your ult for sustenance. Then, exhaust if you have it or cleaver if you don't... Well, cleaver even if you have it... Then, Ryze who tried to gank you becomes a free kill.

Whatever, heal is a good surprise effect and helps laning at the start of the game.

So with that, my masteries are 8/1/21 because I'm a big fan of utility, especially with a character without mana. But a good build could be 21/1/8 to get some bonus XP.

So here's the 8/1/21 with teleport:

3 Deadliness
1 Archmage's Savvy
4 Alacrity

1 Mender's Faith (Becomes 270)

1 Spacial Accuracy
3 Good Hands
3 Perseverance
4 Awareness
1 Greed
2 Utility Mastery
3 Quickness
3 Intelligence (6% means more cleavers and more masochisme)
1 Presence of the Master (Heal becomes 230)

And here's the 21/1/8 build (with exhaust):

3 Deadliness
1 Cripple
4 Sorcery (More cleavers)
1 Archaic Knowledge (Cleavers hurt more)
4 Alacrity
3 Sunder
1 Brute Force
3 Lethality (Crit Mundo FTW)
1 Havoc

1 Mender's Faith (270s Heal)

3 Perseverance
1 Good Hands
4 Awareness

Hope that helps with the masteries and summoner spells!

One question though... My personnal item build is Malady + Zerker Greaves + 2x Phantom... Should I rush on my first Phantom and Zerker and only after that get Malady or simply start off with malady? Because the 15% life leech is barely noticeable at game start...

Oh and BTW, after i got 2x Phantom, if there is still money to win, I get infinity edge but it nevers gets this far...

ObjectiveTruth

03-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFred View Post
First of all I wanted to say, according to the [Directory] Complete List of Guides, this is the only Mundo guide that does it well. Pretty awesome.

I would change the item build a bit but you have the spirit of Mundo!

Many people asked for masteries. Here's what I use.

My summoner spells are (Teleport OR Exhaust) and Heal.

Teleport to lane faster/backdoor because Mundo drops towers SO fast.
Exhaust for early game kills.
Heal for everything! Someone comes to gank you because you're half health... Let's say Ryze... So you're half health, he throws his nukes at you. You use heal, preventing your death because your items are attack speed and crit. Then you pop your ult for sustenance. Then, exhaust if you have it or cleaver if you don't... Well, cleaver even if you have it... Then, Ryze who tried to gank you becomes a free kill.

Whatever, heal is a good surprise effect and helps laning at the start of the game.

So with that, my masteries are 8/1/21 because I'm a big fan of utility, especially with a character without mana. But a good build could be 21/1/8 to get some bonus XP.

So here's the 8/1/21 with teleport:

3 Deadliness
1 Archmage's Savvy
4 Alacrity

1 Mender's Faith (Becomes 270)

1 Spacial Accuracy
3 Good Hands
3 Perseverance
4 Awareness
1 Greed
2 Utility Mastery
3 Quickness
3 Intelligence (6% means more cleavers and more masochisme)
1 Presence of the Master (Heal becomes 230)

And here's the 21/1/8 build (with exhaust):

3 Deadliness
1 Cripple
4 Sorcery (More cleavers)
1 Archaic Knowledge (Cleavers hurt more)
4 Alacrity
3 Sunder
1 Brute Force
3 Lethality (Crit Mundo FTW)
1 Havoc

1 Mender's Faith (270s Heal)

3 Perseverance
1 Good Hands
4 Awareness

Hope that helps with the masteries and summoner spells!

One question though... My personnal item build is Malady + Zerker Greaves + 2x Phantom... Should I rush on my first Phantom and Zerker and only after that get Malady or simply start off with malady? Because the 15% life leech is barely noticeable at game start...

Oh and BTW, after i got 2x Phantom, if there is still money to win, I get infinity edge but it nevers gets this far...
I've been trying out my build more and more and it seems to be too slow at times. I like the idea of completely taking out spirit visgae from the equation and focusing on phantom dancers. I'm going to try it out tonight to see whether malady would be best to start with or if rushing phantoms is best.

You're right about the 15% life steal being not alot but combined with life regen, might push and give you the survivability in the early game.

And i'll add a comment where you can choose either to go zerker greaves or cc reduction boots based on enemy composition.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll do a big update on the masteries too. I definatley agree with going offence abovre all. You want dmg in this build.

EmperorCookie

03-07-2010

So finally I tried rushing Phantom instead of malady.

1st game: Went directly for Phantom. Total fail, no survivability, always have to fall back for health.

2nd game: Beads + 3 pots... Then rushed Phantom... BAM! It works! Even more, with the move speed of that phantom, i only get Vampiric Staff and then normal boots... Then get 2nd Phantom... Then zerks/mercury... And then Malady. Worked like a ****ing charm!

Those games were with the 21/1/8 build. The move speed of the 8/1/21 build might even discourage me from getting boots at all...

Edit: I got flamed by a guy in my 1st game... He told me I didn't know how to use Mundo... He said he had 150 games with Mundo... I asked if he went TANK and he said "right..." so I thought he was sarcastic BUT HE WASN'T!! Then he tower dived and died... True story.

ObjectiveTruth

03-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFred View Post
So finally I tried rushing Phantom instead of malady.

1st game: Went directly for Phantom. Total fail, no survivability, always have to fall back for health.

2nd game: Beads + 3 pots... Then rushed Phantom... BAM! It works! Even more, with the move speed of that phantom, i only get Vampiric Staff and then normal boots... Then get 2nd Phantom... Then zerks/mercury... And then Malady. Worked like a ****ing charm!

Those games were with the 21/1/8 build. The move speed of the 8/1/21 build might even discourage me from getting boots at all...
Nice! I didn't get a chance to try it last night but i love the idea.

I'm gonna update the guide with a shout out.

I think those phantoms are definately the way to go!

12345678 ... 11