Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Udyr's Guide to Mordekaiser

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NJ Fury S

04-30-2010

why wardens instead? doesnt SV make a big diff late game with HP and your ULT?

ICanHasBurger

04-30-2010

http://forum.leaguecraft.com/showthread.php?tid=1209&page=1

best build for mordekaiser, hands off

also hello Rancid, i played few games with you

OmniOblivion

04-30-2010

Quote:
Udyr:
I see a lot of of posts saying that Mordekaiser is underpowered and he isn't viable because he doesn't have a slow, stun or any form of crowd control. I figured I would share my tips since I personally believe that he is extremely powerful when used properly. Below you will find a general guideline to how to play, build, and win with Mordekaiser.

Spells: Ignite and your choice of anything other than Clarity for obvious reasons.

Masteries: Defensive with a little Offensive to get the improved Ignite. Just make sure you get the top level defensive mastery.

Runes: I usually go defensive, Health Regen/5/lvl and Armor.

Phase 1: Initial Laning

Grab a Doran's Shield to start and a Health pot. Either call solo mid if you want, or head to a lane with a bursty caster or someone with a stun. Ryze is your friend.

Grab E at Level 1, and strategically position yourself to hit as many targets as possible with it, prioritizing Champions over minions.

Alternate Q and E and grab one rank of W so at Level 6 your spells are 2/1/2/1.

General laning strategy is to force the other Champions out of the lane and to zone control so that they don't get gold or exp. Max your shield as often as possible and don't be afraid to fight 2v1 at low levels against the right Champions, but be careful.

You will want to save up enough gold for Merc Treads and after buying, head back to the lane.

If you are solo mid, focus more on pushing the other Champion back, even using your ult when you know you won't get a kill just to force them away. If you are with Ryze, wait for a good opportunity to unload everything on them, drop your Ult and Ignite, and you probably have your first kill.

At this point, there are two choices in what I will refer to the Hammer build or the Anchor build.

The Hammer build would focus mostly on kills, grabbing a Rylais, a Bloodthirster, a Frozen Mallet, etc and moving around the map to gank. Use your Ult to get kills and abuse the Lizard rune as much as possible. This build is most effective against non-bursty, more dps based teams (Teemo, Tristana, Pantheon, etc). Your general survivability and constant slow will keep enemies snared enough for kills, and you won't really have to worry about being bursted down. Usual scores are around 9-3.

The Anchor build focuses on supporting your team, which is arguably the more powerful one. After the Merc Treads, going for Aegis, Starks, GA, Abysmall Scepter, or Sunfire Cape would be good choices, with Aegis and Starks being a must. You want to basically be in the middle of the fight with your W aura up, acting as the "Anchor" of the team and engaging the fight. You will be able to take a lot of damage due to your shield and high levels or Amor and MR, while providing good damage buffs to your teammates. Throw your ult on the carry and have your team focus them down to get the pet. You now have a 6v4 with the pet gaining the aura benefits, which will let you push towers over like paper. Your score will probably be about even, until a pivotal moment where you can wipe an entire lane from the first tower to the inhibitor.

Thats about it. There are a few other builds if people are interested.

Mordekaiser, like any champion, is good if you know how to play him. I play aggressive with him (I also lose a lot of HP early game b/c of this). This is how I build with Mord:

Ignite; i don't see how you can play without it... I usually like Ghost on him for hit-and-runs.

Masteries are 0/22/8, hitting all the crucial defenses for Mord (HP, Damage Reduction, ...). Mord harasses like a boss, the extra exp will give him quicker levels.

Runes....don't really bother with them. I spend IP on champs. >.< I'd probably get flat HP stuff and HP Regen.

I like to get Regen Bead first, then pick a higher tier depending on what I need (the beauty of this as first item is: one, the HP regen will prevent his abilities from draining his HP start of the game. And two: the Regen Bead is flexible, you can get either MR or Armor with it).

I don't take mid lane because I think there are better carries than Mord. If I have to, then I would, but meh...IDK I might try it out?

I like to range with either a harasser or a support with Mord. Both fit his needs very well as far as I see it.

Siphon is always first. You can check bushes with this. I grab one of everything and get Siphon maxed out first. Then I switch back and forth between Spades and Death depending on what I need (and of course, get the Ult whenever you can).

Mord denies exp very well if the other team is trying to last hit more than killing you. It's important to position Siphon to hit both minions and champs.

His shields is how you will lane. Always keep this up.

For Boots, I like to get Swiftness just because I hate runners. But Boots is generally whatever you need.

I build Mord HP/AP Tank:

-Omen/Spirit Visage
-Boots of Swiftness
-Leviathan
-Rylai/Warmog

Still rough on the build because of trying to flex out my choices, but don't really have a solid build I can give.

Feel free to praise or trash my thoughts.

NJ Fury S

04-30-2010

i like to build Randuins first simply because the items you take first with him are in that item tree.....also i dont think he needs much dmg early game because he just tanks.....mid game i go for Sun capes and mallet and fervors

OR spirit visage first....but i have not even tried SV on mord yet (still nub)

Mapekz

05-04-2010

I was getting roflstomped as Mordekaiser my first day playing him, so I got fed up and went to bed, determined to own with him the next day. My wish was granted.

I spent half the day at work the next morning learning how to play this guy and a few tips from the guide "Codex Metallicus" spoke out to me:

1) You are nothing without your shield, so make it last as long as possible via resists
Maxing Siphon and Creeping Death early, magic penetration, and cooldown reduction all help you recharge your shield faster (in that order of importance; do not stack only CD reduction as that will get you killed, trust me). Magic resist, armor, and HP/5 help keep you alive more than HP and lifesteal; Haunting Guise may be an exception.

Regardless, you are dead without a shield, especially if running away from a fight that you most likely won't be able to escape from anyway. Good thing about HG is that you can go smack up neutral creeps to heal without every having to recall outside of buying gear.

2) During early game, everyone else sucks compared to you but you still aren't a God
Your shield is too low and you can't recharge it or maintain it too easily at the start of the game. You need SoD 3 at the very least, which won't happen before level 5. You also want to make sure you have every ability at your disposal so you can keep spamming abilities endlessly. Just SoD to gain gold/XP and to deny your enemy XP/gold via harassment, but don't charge in for a kill until you can CotG or if the enemy gets way too close and you can MoS + SoD + Ignite him without taking a single tower hit. Play aggressively and harass, but don't tower dive until level 6 earliest when you know the lifesteal of CotG will keep you from dying to the tower after killing your foe.

3) Never have the same build order for every game
Syeblaze (the author of Codex Metallicus) mentioned that it is stupid to have the same BO for every match up. I agree. More often than not, you will encounter a mixed physical/magic damage team so Spirit Visage + Warden's Mail are items you will want to get (order depending on if there's a majority of magic users or physical damage dealers). If your team is almost all magic, including physical damage who use many magic attacks (i.e. Gargas, Nasus, Mordekaiser) then it is best to rush a Force of Nature. Make sure to analyze your enemy match up and buy the appropriate pieces of gear to keep your shield going longer so as to transform yourself into a hard counter to their damage.

4) "Never hesitate to use Children of the Grave"
I tend to be conservative with my ultimate; I guess it's a mindset from DotA. However, I find that it is actually worth it to throw away the ultimate while laning without even intending on a kill, especially if low on HP and being denied access to creeps for a shield (screw you Chrono Keeper!). The enemy is denied gold/XP while I lifesteal from him, meaning I keep farming and leveling and destroy him and his friends later.

5) Don't run; go down swinging
Normally it is best to run, especially when playing any other hero and when you are alone against the whole enemy team. However, a lot of the time you simply won't be able to escape and/or teammates cannot be reached so you can't bait the enemy to them. Good thing is that you simply don't die (assuming you keep your shield up), meaning you can deliver quite the beating. Even when solo against four enemies and a ton of creeps, you can decimate one or two champions and cause a third to flee before you fall, assuming you were farming and have decent gear.

For instance, I've had three enemies charge and slow me, pushing my **** inwards because I had no shield. Promptly I noticed an incoming creep wave, so I turned around and SoDed everyone. Spamming my abilities as much as I could, I took out one guy with CotG + AOE, so 1v3 became 2v2. Next I beat the second guy into a bloody pulp with focus fire from myself and my spirit slave, and finally I chased down the third hero, who soon after died to an Ignite. I was maybe five to ten seconds late on getting a triple kill, but I definitely got a double.

The above scenario is VERY common; I've had it happen to me about six times in one day. Do not be afraid; the enemy should be afraid of you. After all, you should be blasting Motorhead and Meshuggah while playing this champion, so use that to your advantage.

CoffeeVision

08-27-2010

Teehee~

I love this build. Works well in ganking and killing as well. Plus, I'm starting to get a pretty good win streak

locke03

08-27-2010

Here's a question for Morde players and those who play with Morde players, but first some background:

I tend to build my morde with: Regrowth pendant (start), then build towards (as needed) Sorcerers Shoes, 2 x sunfire capes, Force of Nature/Thornmail (depending on the damage I'm taking), Randuin's Omen, and Frozen Mallet. 9/0/21 masteries, MR, MP, and dodge runes.
I rarely take mid, as other have pointed out there are better characters for it, and would prefer to push a side lane with a good ranged character or someone with some CC (I love laneing with Ryze or TF).

I do well early game, usually getting the second minion wave on the opposing tower largely intact and preventing melee characters from really being able to attack them.

I also do well during late game team fights as enemy minions simply don't exist around me, and my survivability and AOE damage really takes a toll on anyone who didn't stack MR and decided to let me stand near them (I'm talking to you Kat and Shen).

Midgame however, before I can really afford to finish up a second sunfire cape or Wardens Mail, with ganking and the first team fights starting, I tend to die more that I would like to unless I'm very careful.

So here is the question: Is it a good idea to sacrifice Morde (as I find myself being focused and CC'ed a lot) to occupy the opposing team while they kill me, letting the rest of the team take down a tower or opposing carry(ok fight) or escape (bad fight), or better to play more carefully and stick close to friendly turrets and the team carry?

CoffeeVision

08-29-2010

Quote:
locke03:

So here is the question: Is it a good idea to sacrifice Morde (as I find myself being focused and CC'ed a lot) to occupy the opposing team while they kill me, letting the rest of the team take down a tower or opposing carry(ok fight) or escape (bad fight), or better to play more carefully and stick close to friendly turrets and the team carry?

Yes. Mordekaiser is a great tank, and he can't really be ignored. Lol, I actually do that all the time. It's your role as a tank. Take as much damage as you can, mess up the enemy team (especially by targeting the carry first) and let your team mates do the rest.To protect and serve.

Holepuncher

08-29-2010

Morde's Q is not very good. Max W and E instead. At rank 5, W does the damage of two sunfire capes, plus 30 armor and 30 mres. With this, you will farm better than any champion in the game.

I like to go:
-Regrowth pendant
-2nd Regrowth and boots (now Morde can farm/spam/harass like a beast)
-Merc treads
-Sunfire cape
At this point I pick items based on what we're up against. Finish FoN for more MR and speed. Get thornmail to counter AD carries. More sunfires is always a decent choice.

ItsTheFark

08-29-2010

I generally play my mord as the following:

Regrowth -> boots -> 2nd regrowth -> FoN -> Rylais -> Merc Treads -> Now you can branch out and do whatever you want.... either go tanky, more offensive, or whatever, but I find that merc treads, FoN, and Rylais are the core.