Which VoIP client is the most appropriate for League of Legends?

Ventrilo 17 50.00%
Skype 10 29.41%
TeamSpeak 2 5.88%
Mumble 2 5.88%
Other 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Ventrilo VS Skype

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TaGaDvAnCe

04-23-2011

So for the longest time me and some friends (acquaintances?) have been using Vent[rilo] to communicate. If you want to play competitively on the internet in a real-time game, you pretty much need some form of VoIP. Lately though a few of them started using Skype. Skype is great, where there are only 2 or 3 people in a call. Here are my problems with Skype in regard to gaming:

• one must be invited to a call, which could mean waiting for upwards of an hour for everyone to finish their game
  • it isn't group friendly: there is no PushToTalk which means you hear [I]everything[I] happening in the background for each person
  • relatively cumbersome and difficult to use (the Skype interface sucks IMO)
My friend thinks the following are advantages of Skype:
  • he claims that more people use Skype (this is true, but not for gaming IMO)
  • no need to ban anyone; just don't invite them
  • more responsive (no Vent lag)
Since we were deadlocked on the issue, I decided to ask a third party, i.e. you. Which VoIP client is the most appropriate for LoL?

Blizzaja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-23-2011

I personally believe Ventrilo basically goes with all computer games. I also think it's been around the longest and is probably better versed by the majority of gamers.

facepalmextreme

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-23-2011

Ventrilo has generally lower pings than skype actually, considering ventrilo is user -> server -> user, and skype is peer -> peer. However, that's completely based off of the server host, but since it's not peer to peer it generally is less taxing on your internet connection.

I personally have a raidcall server set up if you guys want to give it a shot :P. It's like vent/mumble, but pings can be quite lower.

Here's the link if you want to try it. If not I won't post the server info.

http://www.raidcall.com/signup.php?u...200&sid=485529

IS1281a2aa64f651d96c2ca

04-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaGaDvAnCe View Post
no need to ban anyone; just don't invite them
more responsive (no Vent lag)
These aren't necessarily concrete advantages.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5165321_host...lo-server.html

Hosting your own ventrilo server definitely takes care of the first one. In my experience it has also taken care of the second one, but I never knew the cause of ventrilo lag, so the improvement may have been incidental. So long as you aren't running 20-man vents, hosting your own server is a very workable solution.

Coedeed

04-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by facepalmextreme View Post
Ventrilo has generally lower pings than skype actually, considering ventrilo is user -> server -> user, and skype is peer -> peer. However, that's completely based off of the server host, but since it's not peer to peer it generally is less taxing on your internet connection.

I personally have a raidcall server set up if you guys want to give it a shot :P. It's like vent/mumble, but pings can be quite lower.

Here's the link if you want to try it. If not I won't post the server info.

http://www.raidcall.com/signup.php?u...200&sid=485529
I WAS WAlTING FOR YOU

Wrenchman Golin

Senior Wrenchmen

04-23-2011

I prefer Ventrilo; Steam chat was alright, but the quality was horrid. Skype is good, but I prefer push to talk.

The only thing is finding a Ventrilo server with good ping and not getting booted out or overpopulated.

sciyth

04-23-2011

I think vent is the best overall but skype is better for more casual gamers

ChoppazAndDakka

04-23-2011

I really don't like using Skype. I don't need people hearing my family talking in the background, or my constant sniffles thanks to allergies. I really prefer push to talk.

VerKnight

04-23-2011

I'm a Vent person. I find that Vent and TS both serve the gaming community better than Skype ever has or will. This is especially true for anyone who has ever been in or will be in a gaming clan of some kind.

The ability to come and go as you please and utilize multiple channels for various purposes allows for more flexibility than Skype.

The push to talk is also enjoyable so you don't have to hear everything going on on the other end of people's mics (things like heavy mouth breathing during intense gaming moments, conversations with random people, and other stuff).

Skype, imo, is better for making personal calls to friends than it is for playing games.

LemuresXL

04-24-2011

The New Steam voice chat is awesome, and good quality. I know the old one sucked. Xfire is good also.

Vent quality blows ass, Skype is awful. *shrug*