Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tristana Vs. Caitlyn

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rallinious

04-23-2011

Hi there,

I'm here to ask again about another Champion I may Try, Caitlyn. I was wondering in a side-by-side comparison to Tristana (who is the Champ I currently "main" since I'm only level 6) how does she stack compared to Tristana as a Ranged Carry?

I've played a few games with her on my team and must say played right she seems very powerful (same I'm sure may be the case with Tristana I'm just getting the hang of things) and I'm curious, who would you prefer on your team and why?

Wrenchman Golin

Senior Wrenchmen

04-23-2011

I prefer Caitlyn to kill champions and Tristana to kill towers, inhibitors, and the nexus.

Caitlyn has a really strong harassing skill, but Tristana can farm like mad. If Tristana is able to outfarm the rest of the players she'll be very deadly, but that's not always the case.

Caitlyn's Yordle Traps--when properly placed--can really help initiate ambushes. Tristana can jump on people, but either: A. She'll jump into a group and get obliterated. B. She'll use it to kill a single deserter out of position. C. She saves it as her escape tool.

As to their ultimates, I just prefer Caitlyn's Ace in the Hole over Tristana's Buster Shot. A good Buster Shot with Rocket Jump is nice, but I don't see this occur very often.

Ubermensche

04-23-2011

Caitlyn has a slightly stronger early game with her absurd attack range, her Piltover Peacemaker doing massive damage from safe distance, and her Traps to protect from ganks.

Tristana has a much better late game. While Caitlyn drops off in scaling later on, Tristana has Rapid Fire, one of the best steroid skills in the game. This helps her dish out massive DPS while pushing towers and teamfighting mid-late game.

As for ultimates, I like Buster shot more than Ace in the Hole. The knockback provides really nice utility for when you need it (someone flashed into Baron pit to grab the last hit? just shoot them back over the wall, no problem). It's a more reliabe single target nuke and can't be blocked like Caitlyn's ultimate can. That being said, it requires a lot more skill to use effectively and oftentimes, you'll find Ace in the Hole to be more reliable.

joshiez

04-23-2011

I've been playing a ton of caitlyn lately because I find her to be loads of fun... That being said, I think she still needs some work to nudge her into balance. She has a weak (soft) escape, no steroid, and traps that become less useful the longer the game goes on.

I played Tristana again after playing Caitlyn for 2 weeks and was surprised at how much damage Trist can put out compared to Cait. But, as has been mentioned, early game, Cait is the boss of the lane. A buddy and I *dominated* a lane against a Zilean/Morde combo. That's what's up.

I guess the absolute test (for me) is this: if my ranked team needed a ranged AD carry, which one would I pick to play? MY answer is Tristana.

bajarbum

04-23-2011

Caitlyn vs Tristana:
Early game(Laning): Caitlyn has massive range from start as well as her Q has mad range as well, while Trist's range scales with level, so in early level harassing, Caitlyn: +1.
Farming: Caitlyn's passive (headshot) makes it easy for her to last hit, but nothing compared to tristana's explosive shot's passive. Tristana: +1
Getting early kills : Caitlyn's amazing harassing ability and huge range makes it easy for her to get early kills easily. Trist's rocket jump + buster shot combo is good as well if used properly, so it requires some practice. So again, Caitlyn: +1
Team fights : Caitlyn's ult becomes almost useless in teamfights because it gets blocked easily. Tristana's ult interrupts channeling spells and disrupts the positioning of enemy team, so Tristana: +1.
Escaping/closing mechanism: Caitlyn's 90 caliber net and traps provide her good escape/closure but requires a lot of skill to place traps properly. Tristana's rocket jump is an easier and better mechanism. Tristana: +1.
Pushing lanes/turrets: Simply Tristana: +1.
So, overall : Caitlyn : 2 Tristana : 4.

Fluffypuffj

04-23-2011

Tristana- Late game has a better range the Caitlyn. I prefer her escape to caitlyns. Unlike Caitlyn her ultimate cannot be blocked.

Caitlyn- Her ult is good for finishing unless it gets blocked. She is stronger that Tristana, but her abilites aren't as usefull as tristana's

RIPGG Cali

04-09-2014

Caitlyn over Trist IMO! Good article though thanks.

AwesomeChad

04-09-2014

please stop necro-ing threads.