[GUIDE] JAX - Carry so hard your back WILL hurt!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AWWW NUUUU

03-01-2010

This is my quick, and easy to read guide on Ability Power (AP) Jax, to carry your team in mid-late game,

SKILL BUILD:
Level 1 - Q
Level 2 - E
Level 3 - Q
Level 4 - E
Level 5 - Q
Level 6 - R
Level 7 - Q
Level 8 - E
Level 9 - Q (Maxed)
Level 10 - E
Level 11 - R
Level 12 - E (Maxed)
Level 13 - W
Level 14 - W
Level 15 - W
Level 16 - R (Maxed)
Level 17 - W
Level 18 - W (Maxed)

SKILL INFO & HOW TO's:

Passive: Equipment Mastery

Jax's prowess with weapons and armor increase his fortitude as he gains equipment
Jax gains 5 health per point of Attack Damage received from items.
Jax gains 3 health per point of Ability Power received from items.

** This is the reason to never stack HP items on Jax, if you get a AP/AD item you will actually gain damage and health, rather then just health**

Q Ability: Leap Strike

Jax does a leaping attack to an enemy dealing an additional 50/75/100/125/150 (+1.0) magic damage.

- This is your main early game herassment skill, your main early game killer, and ALSO your only surviablity spell, about to die? need to dodge a spell? jump to a Allie/ward/mushroom/enemy almost anything thats target-able.

Cooldown per level
17/14/11/8/5

Costs a flat 65 mana.

W Ability: Empower

Jax instantly charges his weapon with energy, causing him to deal 45/65/85/105/125 (+.4) damage to all enemies nearby on his next attack.

- Pretty much used in combo with your Q ability mid-late game, or VERY early game farming, i don't fancy it all to much though till late game.

Cooldown per level
7/6/5/4/3

Costs a flat 35 mana

E Ability: Counterattack

Passive: Increases Jax's dodge chance by 10/12/14/16/18%.

Active: Jax stuns surrounding enemies for 1 second and deals 80/100/120/140/160 (+0.8) magic damage to them.
Usable only within 7 seconds of dodging an attack.

This should be used straight as you land with Q, once you have high AP this will do ALOT of damage, also extremely good for early game farming (will 1shot most creep waves with a guinsoo blade x8).

Cooldown is 5 seconds, however the active ability is 7 seconds.

Costs a flat 60 mana

R Ability ( Passive Ultimate): Relentless Assault

Jax's basic attacks increase his attack speed by 6/10/14% for a short duration, and hitting the same unit 2 consecutive times enhances Jax's next attack for 140/170/210 (+1) bonus magic damage.
Attack speed stacks up to 8 times.

- A Beauitful passive ability, Great for taking down tanks, also amazing for 3shotting casters (should be pre charged before team battle)

Cooldown: 0

Costs 0 mana

ITEM BUILD:
Start with: Boots of speed, Health potion (x3)
1. Ninja Tabi (850g)
2. Guinsoo's Rageblade (2235g)
3. Mejai's Soulstealer (1235g)
4a. Rylai's Crystal Scepter (3145g)
4b. LichBane (3470g)
5. Void Staff (2295g)
6. Zhonya's Ring (3695g)

Now you may be looking at this item build and thinking hey... with all these AP/DPS items I'm going to be extremely squishy, WRONG, you will have 4,800 hp, or with a 20 stack mejai's and guinsoo's at 10 stacks you will have close to 800 AP and 6000! health.

Reason: Jax's passive equipment mastery gives him 3Health per 1 Ability power, and 5 Health per 1 Attack Damage
So 500 AP = 1500 Health

SUMMONER SKILLS:

Slot 1. Ignite - Early game kills, also great if you don't want to risk tower diving
Slot 2. Exhaust - Stops enemy's getting away, can also be used defensively

RUNES:

Red:
Greater Mark Of Insight (8.55 Magic Penetration)

Yellow:
Greater Seal Of Evasion (+6.8% Dodge)

Blue:
Greater Glyph Of Potency (+8.91 Ability Power)

Quintessence:
Option 1. Greater Quintessence Of Force (23.22 Ability Power @18)
Option 2. Greater Quintessence Of Fortitude (97.2 Health)
Option 3. Greater Quintessence Of Potency (14.85 Ability Power @1)

MASTERIES:

Attachment 18876

>> RATED IT EVEN IF YOU HATE IT <<

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a funny picture, this was a very long game where i was playing AP Jax
Note: i don't have guinsoo's cause i had so much money that i sold it to buy a stronger late game item.

Note #2: My buildings destroyed score is low because we had 0 towers left and there twitch was backdooring, so cause i had a spare 6,000 gold i brought oracles and 15 wards and placed them all around the base XD

Note #3: I was 2shotting they're VERY tanky signed/alistar
First Game:
Attachment 18898
Second Game:
Attachment 19053

Struz

03-01-2010

I agree with this build if you have a team strong enough to let you stack to 20 early to mid game. Even if you don't, just skip the Mejai's if you want and he's still a powerhouse. You can't go wrong with AP Jax since he's a burst machine.

Coldmetal

03-01-2010

You may want to look into some sort of survivability items if the opposing team is caster heavy since you're going to get sat on with no Magic Resist, regardless of how much hp you have. Rylai's kinda mid-late game also lowers the chance of grabbing some early kills since you don't quite have the ability early on to keep them slowed, and as you level lizard buffs slow % gets weaker and weaker. Other than that a pretty solid build, just needs an earlier rylai's rush and some better survivability other than having HP to meat through it since let's be honest, you're not going to get super farmed most games to have the kind of HP to just laugh at damage.

Also, kinda curious why are you going such a heavy AP build but no lich bane? There's some serious damage there you're missing especially with empower being on such a small CD now.

PrawnWonton

03-01-2010

Ditto on the Lichbane.

Jax has turbo low cooldowns, you can proc that thing all the time...

AWWW NUUUU

03-01-2010

ill look into lichbane, but i disagree with the survivability, if you fail at surviving with 5,000 hp, defensive exhaust, leap to allies, 40%+ dodge your pretty terrible..

might swap out ryal's for lichbane, cause i do agree the slow is pretty minimal being 15% and all, but lichbane slows down my item build ALOT.

Tornsoul

03-01-2010

You have got to be insane to even consider not using Rylai's, its absolutely ******ed on Jax right now. If anything I would drop the Mejai's. If your getting Gunisoo's first its probably starting to get a lil late into the game to pickup the mejai's anyway. Plus you should have at least some sort of HP/mana regen item or lifesteal.

Atma's Impaler is another issue due to the large boost it gives you.

Void Staff, I am all for it, its rape on Jax.

Kind of expensive build, I figure most games would be ending around the time after Rylai's is completed. I would say if your playing against casters, get abyssal scepter or lichbane instead of Mejai's. If its melee I would get maybe a bloodthirster over Mejai and Atma over zhonya's.

There are a ton of good items for Jax I just think it depends on what the opponents are. But I would consider Tabi, Gunisoo's Rylai's to be staple.

Coldmetal

03-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWWW NUUUU View Post
ill look into lichbane, but i disagree with the survivability, if you fail at surviving with 5,000 hp, defensive exhaust, leap to allies, 40%+ dodge your pretty terrible..

might swap out ryal's for lichbane, cause i do agree the slow is pretty minimal being 15% and all, but lichbane slows down my item build ALOT.

You got to start from somewhere, you don't just get 5,000 HP. You'll be squishy regardless of how much HP you have, especially if you're focused against multiple casters. 5,000 HP is late late game and by then the match is already over. You can't dodge mages and exhaust doesn't work either.

Plus with what the poster above me said, you're going to need rylai's for a reliable slow. Tbh I would drop guinsoo's for lich bane, with the kind of AP you're pushing not having a lich bane is really putting a damper on your DPS, even if you got a ton of AP. Though if you get lich bane over guinsoo's early is kinda ******ed to do so and you probably won't have enough time late game to switch them out since the game will be over. You won't break 40% dodge with your rune setup btw. I'm assuming this looked good in a practice game eh?

Sorry to knit pick.

Struz

03-02-2010

You can pretty much ignore dodge these days on Jax. Runes (minus quints even) + Tabi + E = ~38% dodge. That's fine. You just want as much HP / dmg as possible to roll with. Wasting a slot on dodge isn't ideal.

AWWW NUUUU

03-02-2010

drop mejai's? it gives u 540 hp, and 180 damage.. and u should have guinsoo's very fast... not 'late into the game' and what.. hp/mana regen item on jax o.o nooo way... i think ur thinking of a AD build... no need with golem buff.. even without it.. no need u have around 700 mana ur abilities cost 50 mana.. x.X.

and eh.. i dont see why you would get atma's impaler on a non-tank, a pure AP item is going to give you more overall damage.

and in no way am i going to get a bloodthirster on a AP jax... thats a HUGE amount of gold to blow on a non ap item, and zhonya's... not even going to got here, gives u 500 damage and 1,000 health...

oh.. and last but not least, practice game? no.. haven't played a single prac game.. EVER, this build is tested on game after game for the past 3 days.. and ive had success in 90% of the games.
-----------------------------

Just played a game with lichbane, wasnt impressed at all, was a 24min game though, so didnt get that far into my build for it to really shine i guess... but really was not impressed at all, loosing 600 hp didnt feel good

Malak al Maut

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-02-2010

Why 21/9/0 when AP Jax only benefits from 10 of the 21. What do you do when someone get's sword of the jaxslayer? How do you deal with Hard CC without cleanse? No Flash or ghost, how do you escape ganks without creeps or allies?