Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Zilias.... Rumble's passive....

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1114475698182d789dd40

04-21-2011

Quote:
Xypherous:
Rumble's passive is a very mild example of this anti-pattern, but only if you attempt to play Rumble strictly as a ranged harasser. The optimal play when you are doing ranged harass is to dance his heat in the danger zone.

However, once Rumble needs to commit to a fight, the passive actually encourages you for one optimal play.

Why? Take a look at his abilities again:

Melee range DoT. Shield/Speed Boost. Ranged Slow. Massive AoE Slow.

Rumble wants to slow you and then get into melee range with a flamethrower and his fists. Once he has used his ability cooldowns and his opponents are in melee, he wants to overheat as quickly as possible so he can proceed to pound you to death while he is in melee range.

Ideally, when you play Rumble, you are timing your abilities such that by the time you overheat, the enemy champions are under the effects of your slows so that you can get empowered melee attacks in. His abilities don't do a very high amount of damage on their own (aside from flamethrower, which in itself, encourages him to be in melee range).

Good to hear . As I said in my OP I like this change and it should bring out more interesting champions. Keep up the good work.

sleepyj101

04-21-2011

Xyph lives!!!!!

Bloodpaly

04-21-2011

Quote:
Generic Referenc:
It is an anti pattern I posted the exact quote from Zileas. Once again please read.

Secondly it is nothing like mana-> spells. Last time I check there isn't another ability out there that causes you to crowd control yourself.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC5ScnEH-Rc watch this video, look at all the times he must choose between which spell he will use before oom (6:45 is a particularly good time).

If he uses an ability he becomes oom, preventing the use of future abilities until he regens mana. If Rumble was in a position where 1 ability makes him overheat, then using 1 ability silences him, preventing the use of future abilities until silence ends.

Decision point =/= antipattern.

Leib Olmai

04-21-2011

Xypherous your post of some of the most awsome post ever. EVERYTIME. Post more often please !

musiika

04-21-2011

The list of anti-patterns are mere guidelines and not absolute laws. Game design is not strictly a "science."

I believe that some guidelines are intentionally or unintentionally broken at some point because a certain design decision creates a healthy gameplay aspect. And this may or may not apply to this particular situation.

edit: ninja'ed.

nukular power

04-21-2011

Quote:
Xypherous:
Rumble's passive is a very mild example of this anti-pattern, but only if you attempt to play Rumble strictly as a ranged harasser. The optimal play when you are doing ranged harass is to dance his heat in the danger zone.

However, Rumble is not *just* a ranged harasser.

Why? Take a look at his abilities again:

Melee range DoT. Shield/Speed Boost. Ranged Slow. Massive AoE Slow.

Rumble wants to slow you and then get into melee range to hit you with his flamethrower and his fists. Once he has used his ability cooldowns and his opponents are in melee, he wants to overheat as quickly as possible so he can proceed to pound you to death while he is in melee range while Flamethrower is ticking away. Flamethower is his primary damage ability.

If you want to do maximum spike damage as Rumble, you are timing your abilities such that by the time you overheat, the enemy champions are under the effects of your slows so that you can get massive empowered melee attacks in while flamethrower is on. His long-range abilities don't do a very high amount of damage on their own.

Because Overheating only lasts a short time and then cools him down fully afterwards, he can then use his 'W' multiple times to escape.

Happy Rumbling.

So how does this fit in with his ult? I really like the sound of what you described, but a weaker Void Wall (malz's q) doesnt sound very exciting for the melee playstyle you describe - maybe to catch very low HP runners or something, but it really doesnt seem to fit very well.

edit: By weaker, I mean that Malz's Q has a high AP ratio, and hits very hard - since I doubt Rumble is going to be AP, his ult will probably be weaker. Unless he is built similar to Kayle, but look at how that works out for her..

Also, any chance you could share the numbers on exactly how much Overheat increases his AA damage? And how about his base attack speed?

Xypherous

Systems Designer

04-21-2011

It's a very long lasting wall of fire that slows and dots enemies within it.

Think of it as Singed Glue in wall form and how it operates for him, only bigger and more wall-like.

You either catch someone and they are helpless within the puddle, allowing the melee character to get into range, or you cut off their escape path so that they are forced into you.

Rumble is an AP character with high AP ratios on both 'Q' and a moderate per hit AP ratio on his passive. Rylai's Sceptre is very good on him.

Gaeta

04-21-2011

Quote:
Xypherous:
Think of it as Singed Glue in wall form and how it operates for him, only bigger and more wall-like.

They should give you a commission on the bundle I'm now going to buy.

IS1114475698182d789dd40

04-21-2011

Quote:
Xypherous:
It's a very long lasting wall of fire that slows and dots enemies within it.

You either catch someone and they are helpless within the puddle, allowing the melee character to get into range, or you cut off their escape path so that they are forced into you.

Sounds cool. Really looking forward to this champ who at Riot came up with him?

Xypherous

Systems Designer

04-21-2011

To be perfectly honest, there's also some lead up time on the missiles dropping so there's a bit of a knack to getting it right.

And FeralPony was his designer, so +1 him.