Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Is Heimerdinger OP?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Detha

Recruiter

03-01-2010

I've been playing Heimerdinger a lot lately, and he seems to be an extremely solid character, though he is pretty weak on the survivability front he can dish out huge amounts of damage in relatively short periods of time, generally killing squishies in a single combo, and doing a huge percentage of damage to everyone else, including the most geared of tanks.

Especially early-game, it feels like it's impossible to lane against me, with only an extremely good Sivir, that actually shields while my rockets are in the air (in 0,2~ seconds it takes the rockets to get to her), giving me any issues in solo lane, and only having issues in dual lane when my partner is jungling and I'm facing a combo that includes either Sivir, Alistar or another even half-decent Heimerdinger, I tend to score the most creep kills by far, as well as get a couple of hero kills, or at the very least out-level my laning partner by 2-3 levels as they have to go heal a load or just not last-hit at all. Either way, I completely dominate early and mid-game, and even when team fights are around the corner, I still deal loads of damage to a big chunk of people with my rockets, and can nuke someone down or save a teammate with my grenades. Because of my huge early game harrassment, severely gimping the items my opponents get, as well as huge nuking in team fights I tend to turn the tides in most team fights, even going so far as that I'm carrying my team to victory. In fact, I win about 80% of the "fair" matches I get with Heimerdinger (with no "dedicated feeder" on my team that gets 0/10 by the end of the match or any leavers).

Now, the thing is, I've actually gotten to such a high Elo level playing Heimerdinger, that whenever I play any other champion I get owned and tend to either feed, or just not contribute a whole lot to the game. I realize a lot of people will think this is sarcastic, but when played right Heimerdinger is a devastating force throughout the entire game, and I just can't seem to gain this level of strength on any other hero. So, my question to you is, what are your thoughts on Heimerdinger?

AgriasO

03-01-2010

In my honest opinion, Heimerdinger is not OP. I agree with some of the points you've presented and I definitely believe that he has the capability to dominate early and mid game. However, I believe it's simply because of his turrets(for the most part). The thing is, if the other team has even a little bit of teamwork and ganks him with a few heroes, Heimerdinger can't respond fast enough to protect himself from a gank. Heimerdinger can dominate a lane because he litters them with turrets over time(therefore destroying waves with ease and surrounding himself with squishy blues or purples). Within the minute that a gank occurs, he cannot setup enough turrets to restablish said dominance(unless he commits technical suicide by remaining near his turrets, possibly getting a kill or two).

I don't think Heimerdinger can really pose a threat late game unless the player is skilled, which in your case, it makes sense why you see him as being so overpowered(Even if the Heimerdinger may be skilled, he's not impossible to counter, just very difficult to counter :3). The problem is that most low level players can't manage being a good Heimerdinger the entire round because of his shortcomings.

Detha

Recruiter

03-01-2010

Quote:
AgriasO:
In my honest opinion, Heimerdinger is not OP. I agree with some of the points you've presented and I definitely believe that he has the capability to dominate early and mid game. However, I believe it's simply because of his turrets(for the most part). The thing is, if the other team has even a little bit of teamwork and ganks him with a few heroes, Heimerdinger can't respond fast enough to protect himself from a gank. Heimerdinger can dominate a lane because he litters them with turrets over time(therefore destroying waves with ease and surrounding himself with squishy blues or purples). Within the minute that a gank occurs, he cannot setup enough turrets to restablish said dominance(unless he commits technical suicide by remaining near his turrets, possibly getting a kill or two).

Actually, I usually don't get more than 1 level in turrets (maximum of 2 turrets) until level 14, and most good Heimerdinger players won't either. The reason he dominates early-game is because he has a 1000+ ranged nuke that he can fire to even tower huggers that deals 200-250 damage at level 5, forcing the person he lanes against to either step outside of experience range, or to take the rockets that blow off 1/3 of his health every 15~ seconds, eventually leading to his death.

Because of these hugely damaging rockets, combined with his stunning grenade (if aimed well), that also deals a load of damage and a Deathfire Grasp (this is the item I take first on Heimerdinger), he can easily nuke down a single character to 0-30%, depending on which champion it is, even when he isn't fed. Usually when I lane solo mid, I tend to gain about 80-100 creep kills at level 10, while the other solo mid is generally about level 7 (the level of the champions in the outer lanes) because of my huge harrassment. In my opinion, anyone playing Heimerdinger by leveling turrets is quite foolish as he deals no amount of burst damage, and will not harrass, leaving the other mid-laner to get plenty of last hits and experience, while not getting a lot more last hits himself and definitely no champion kills.

Pissfer

Recruiter

03-01-2010

I like the one before me, agree with many of these points. However, have you tried playing mid against a Pantheon? I'm a fairly dedicated Heimerdinger, and he's one of the only champs that have given me a tough time on a regular basis.

Arneris

03-01-2010

Any champ with a decent AoE can decimate your turrets in a few seconds or when you die, your turrets die aswell. Heimer is very strong in early game and mid, but late game he loses so much since he is quite helpless in defending himself unless he sticks near his turrets and he does not bring a lot of group dynamic. Also, certain classes early on can take out your turrets a lot faster then you can put them down and all you will be doing is giving them extra gold and xp. The good part about him is that he can defend a lane insanely well which can really hurt the enemies trying to level or get gold in that lane or stop pushes dead in their tracks. Also, having a mid solo and then letting Heimer solo a side lane can free up someone who can help gank or push. If you want to play Heimer agressively for his rockets, I'd suggest taking a champion who is geared for that kind of thing.

Detha

Recruiter

03-01-2010

Quote:
Pissfer:
I like the one before me, agree with many of these points. However, have you tried playing mid against a Pantheon? I'm a fairly dedicated Heimerdinger, and he's one of the only champs that have given me a tough time on a regular basis.

I haven't gone mid against him, but I dual lane against him quite frequently and he doesn't pose any threat at all there. I don't quite see what would make him a threat over, say, Ashe or Sivir, as he has only a weak ranged ability and a stun. He could probably kill turrets quite well, but I can't see how he would stay in lane with me. I do play Heimerdinger by leveling rockets and grenades over leveling turrets (which you should do as well), and he might pose more of a problem when solely relying on turrets for kills.

Samjacklol

03-01-2010

Banshee's veil negates him almost completely.

Cradum

03-10-2010

Well i've only played heim a couple times but just a tip
While next to an enemy turret you can set up your own turret>upgrade and it'll attack the enemy tower/enemy minions. It's great cause i get a lot of damage on enemy towers like that!

Nether

03-10-2010

I'm firmly of the opinion that Heimer should be considered top tier when played well. The reason I don't think he gets more notice is that he's devastating or horrible with no middle ground. I really don't like seeing him in game either allied or against me, because I know much of the outcome of the match hinges on how good he is.

3/4 Heimers I play with are really terrible, 1/4 completely dominate. I find this ratio strange too, because other than needing good positional sense (he gets destroyed when exposed due to his slow movement) and the obvious difficulty in hitting with his grenades, he doesn't seem to be all that complex. His strength is his rockets, and they're as straightforward a spell as you can have. Most bad Heimers tend to have bad builds. Played with one the other day that went 2 chalices "for the extra mana regen".

Sick of people saying he's terrible because his turrets are lackluster too. Firstly his turrets are great for scouting, area denial, tower defense and a bit of extra firepower when pushing. Secondly his rockets are what makes him awesome anyway.

I'd like to see his rockets toned down, with his towers buffed or reworked to keep him viable.

Interestingly Danh Dinh used him in a recent solomid livestream.(which I think was the gradnfinal of the solomid showdown)

Zephoid

03-10-2010

i play him a lot, but i dont think he is that OP. morgana or ryze really tear him up (or any ranged stun), but he is incredible early-mid. Late game not so much since his turrets have ~800 hp and a person can 1-2 shot them easy or kill them with spells. Also, late game his spells are all the damage he has. a 8-10s cooldown on his 2 damage spells really make him hard to use in team fights. between those cooldowns your useless.