Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Competitive play, tournement and Void.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Leib Olmai

04-19-2011

This thread is mostly adressed to RiotMarcou, but everyone is free to comments.
I will most likely bring two related point, about my province and competitive play.

Alright, I don't know if everyone is aware of that, but what I know is that marcou is. The problem of "Quebec" in any contest and tournement.
The people that aren't aware of it, some good read can be found here : http://contests.about.com/od/sweepstakes101/f/VoidinQuebec.htm

the "kinda not so" tldr of this is that if we want to be able to participate in the contest, or tournement with prize, Riot will need to :

Quote:

-Register the sweepstakes rules and all advertisements used to promote the contest with the Quebec government at least 30 days ahead of the sweepstake's launch.
-Pay a fee of up to 10% of the sweepstake's value, depending on who is allowed to enter.
-Agree to allow the government of Quebec to mediate any lawsuits arising from the contest.
-Follow strict guidelines about the contents of the sweepstakes rules.
-Allow the Quebec government to determine if the sweepstake may be changed or canceled once it has started.
-File a written report after the contest has concluded, attesting that the prizes have been delivered or attempted to be delivered.
-Agree to follow a number of other rules and guidelines. See the Quebec Sweepstakes Laws.

To be honest, I didn't knew about it until I was interested into the competitive scene of League of Legends. Here in Quebec, we have alot of Lan Party and other tournement of other games such as Counter-Striker, Starcraft and other Blizzard games, etc. We are also growing alot on the Gaming Industry with our HQ of Ubisoft and other compagny that come to Montréal.

An exemple of event we have is during the summer, our "Cegep" (which is a school) are closed and for a week-end long, 1500 up to 5000 gamer take place for a 72 hours of Lan party with tournement, prize and alot of good stuff, sponsorised by energy drink and computer trademark etc. That beeing said mostly for the purpose that we are gamer and other game seems to not have problem with it.

Whatsoever, I've read on the forum and informed myself that, with LoL, we can't participate in ANY contest or Tournement, except if we don't take the prize. Right know, I know that some people lie and "cheat" to actually participate to them, getting someone somewhere else in Canada or in the US to send their idea and if they win, they are suposed to send the prize via mail.

First, there's a rules on the idea that they are to ourself and if someone steal your idea or creation, it can go to the court and make problems, so right now, I don't think it's really good to let that happen, I know riot is aware of that kind of thing, that's why they mostly can't take our champion suggestion. My second point is that, there's alot of LoL player that come from Quebec, and when you said that "Canada" is allowed to participate in the contest or tournement, well Quebec is in the Canada, but we can't, it's most likely saying to the Quebec well, you aren't in the Canada or, you can play LoL but never go into the Competitive scene. Which is sad.

I admit, I don't know what can be done to change that, but I can represent and help if anything can be done. I don't know who we have to talk to about those rules here, if it's to the prime minister or just a minister but, if needed I will find it and try to make it so that rules can be adjustable to League of Legends.

That point take to my second, which is the tournement, mainly WCG and Dreamhack. With the new change made that "Canada team" need 5 players from Canada, and USA team need 5 player from USA. Well if Quebec can't participate, considering that we represent 23.5% of the Canada population, you most likely cut the quarter of the possible competitive scene in Canada to participate in your big event. Which make you looks not-so-serious and also well, make it less competitive since less team can participate.

By doing that, you also force actual team to break and remake. You mostly, kill the competition and make some player that have been into it and participate the event, well, you take them out of the competition.
An exemple is, CLG won't be CLG anymore, since they have 3 canadian and the rest are from USA. Same happen with TSM. You force team to break up and remake to follow those rules.

There's not gonna be alot of team representing Canada, which doesn't help the fact that Quebec can't participate. What should be done is that the country represented will be for the majority of the team. Like if CLG is 3 Canadian and 2 American, well they represent Canada. Since the break up need to happen if that doesn't change, let's say TSM get 5 canadian or 5 player from USA. They've talked about it and ChaoX won't be able to play with them. But he won't be able to join the "canada CLG team" and finding player in Canada that are as good as those 2 team is really, really hard. So, because of it, he won't be able to participate. Which is sad and that kind of thing shouldn't happen. He have been in the competition since a while with his team, he's a core member.

If you let Quebec participate, you'll have more team for Canada, more competition. I also think the rules for the WCG should be reviewed in that case.
About Dreamhack, I know there's a contest coming up about 2 people going to be able to fly with you guys, and you have no idea how frustrating it is for someone that won't be able to participate just because of the Void, or the fact that they aren't allowed in WCG or other tournement, just because of his province.

In the end, about my two points. I think that, at least for seasons 2 the fact that Quebec can't participate in any type of contest or tournement should be changed, it's not like we were talking about Brazil, or Australia or Africa which are new country, we are a province in a country that can already participate but us, we can't, which is unfair.

And that the rules or change to the WCG should be reviewed, breaking team like this just make no sense. It might make you guys the live easier (or the live of the WCG organisator, I don't know who bring the change) but it's really hurt the competitive scene so much. The result will most likely not even be the good one. You won't be able to tell CLG BEAT TSM ! Since they won't have their members. Also, Team Hong Kong who play on the US server, but for them represent Asia, who are they gonna represent ? Maybe all those thing are already getting reviewed by Riot, but we need feedback. We need more info about those.

Also note that I have nothing against you Matt, english isn't my first language and I know you're only the representent of the eSport and I don't blame you, but I think you're the best one to answer my concern and the concern of thousand of Quebec Players / team that might break up for WCG.

Thank you and keep up the good work. Even with those problem, LoL really begin to shine on competitive scene with big event and such, I just wish praticing would worth it and could get me there one day.

Lactic Acidosis

04-19-2011

No just no, league of legends is about playing the game and having fun not creating nationalistic teams. Really if you have a problem with quebec being excluded you need to write to your goverment and or vote to a change in the laws. This isn't a problem for riot games or poeple from canada this is a problem with the quebec province. Please contact them to change there laws.

Leib Olmai

04-19-2011

I don't know what you smoke, but I'm not trying to create a nationalistic teams.
It's the other way around. I want that team that constitute of Canadian player and american player to play together, and to get get broke by the WCG rules. It's way more fun (since you say that it's the important) to play with the team you are used to play since X months than to have to break up and find a new one for a big competitive events.

Also, the Void In Quebec concern Riot. And they were looking into that, I want more info about it and I tried to represent how it is for us. Nothing nationalist here too, we are part of Canada, we should be able to participate. We can in so many other game, why not League of Legends. It's also "fun" to participate in the contest and tournement for the chance to win prize.

Read everything or don't reply please, or don't post if you have nothing constructive to add.
Thank you.

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

Follow RiotMarcou on Twitter

04-19-2011

Hey LeCalinours,

Thanks for bring up this topic again in a constructive manner.

I have two points that I want to address:

(1) League of Legends tournament in Quebec vs. Riot sponsored League of Legends tournaments in Quebec - First and foremost this is a legal concern. Any entity or person can take the responsibility of organizing a league of legends tournament in Quebec and issue prizes. It's their choice to either uphold the law or ignore the law and take a risk of being subject to penalties.

Some organizers choose to ignore this due to their relative size. CEVO and local quebec organizers will still hold League of Legends touraments.

Riot Games' policy is to not hold tournaments or contests for Quebec citizens. This affects tournaments like : Twisted Treeline Tournament & Season One Championship.

This does not directly affect organizers like WCG, ESL, or MLG unless they also choose to follow the letter of the law.

(2) WCG country selection -- The format of the WCG is for national teams. This should be accepted and embraced as a different and unique format since there are already existing non-nationalistic format and more importantly having a WCG event does not take away from any other existing event. It only adds to the flavor of competitive League of Legends.

It would be up to WCG to make the chance, but I personally would suggest to them that they don't make a change in the same way that I would never consider petitioning FIFA to make a change to their world cup format.

Leib Olmai

04-19-2011

If I understand what you're saying, I could still attempts to participate in tournement like WCG, CEVO or try to enter NESL, but I might get penality ?
And do you guys have tournement with MLG ? Never heard of them.

Also, do you know a way to maybe, us as Citizen try to change that rules ?
Do you think it affect the "competitive scene" since we kinda represent 25 % of the canada ?

I get your point about WCG, I agree. I guess the team would just need to take care of that in the future, to make sure they are "All canadian" or "All Usa"

Thanks alot !

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

Follow RiotMarcou on Twitter

04-20-2011

Quote:
LeCalinours:
If I understand what you're saying, I could still attempts to participate in tournement like WCG, CEVO or try to enter NESL, but I might get penality ?
And do you guys have tournement with MLG ? Never heard of them.

Also, do you know a way to maybe, us as Citizen try to change that rules ?
Do you think it affect the "competitive scene" since we kinda represent 25 % of the canada ?

I get your point about WCG, I agree. I guess the team would just need to take care of that in the future, to make sure they are "All canadian" or "All Usa"

Thanks alot !

It's not that the players receive a penalty, it's that the organizers would be penalized or fined by Quebec

Sefam

Recruiter

06-19-2011

Quote:
RiotMarcou:
It's not that the players receive a penalty, it's that the organizers would be penalized or fined by Quebec

Necrobump.

And yet your company refuses to actually say which clauses in the sweepstakes law are the problem. No offense, but starting a petition for this without proposing an actual specific change is just going to make it go under the carpet right as it enters the national assembly, even if we get a lot of signatures. I've solicited a big bunch of companies to highlight which clauses were the problem, and all of them politely refused or simply didn't answer.

We're not lawyers, and it's not a lawyer that has nothing to do with the game industry that is going to solve the problem. It's pretty **** sad that none of the companies will do anything to make a part of their userbase happy.

The only solutions you(Riot) and Quebec's government are offering to me are to either move out of the province, or use a loophole in the law, or I can be a secluded player. But trust me, as a consumer, I will remember your position towards this problem. There is no point in partaking in competitive if you can't even participate in the SEASON ONE CHAMPIONSHIP, which DOESN'T EVEN END INSIDE QUEBEC. Wouldn't you TECHNICALLY win the price in Sweden? That's just lazy. I've partaken in a small community tournament once with Atlanta, TheOddOne, and L0cust, that's probably one of the best times I've had in this game, but I have to renounce to that because no serious team will pick me up because of my nationality.

Does anyone know if it's legal to state you are from Ontario even if you are in Quebec and send the prizes somewhere else if you win?

Killrazor

06-21-2011

its not riot's fault. Its just crazy quebec laws! im from canada as well (bc, yay!). so yea it does suck if quebec cant be apart of things. But quebec just has to change their laws etc.

I dont blame riot, they dont want to fined.

Sefam

Recruiter

06-21-2011

Quote:
Killrazor:
its not riot's fault. Its just crazy quebec laws! im from canada as well (bc, yay!). so yea it does suck if quebec cant be apart of things. But quebec just has to change their laws etc.

I dont blame riot, they dont want to fined.

Riot's customers are still somewhat their responsibility.

And if "changing the law that makes no sense in the first place" was so easy, I'd have done it ages ago.

Be king

09-17-2012

so i can participate to tournement but i just have to refuse the prize?