Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Damage or chance?

Crit Damage dawg! 2 12.5%
Crit Chance man! 14 87.5%
Voters 16 .

Crit Chance VS Crit Damage (Open Discussion)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rectal Necrosis

Recruiter

02-27-2010

So, crit chance or crit damage, which do you prefer?

In all honesty, outside of Shaco I doubt I could give crit damage to any hero. I know a full rune book is somewhere around 40% crit damage, which when stacked with a infinity edge is 290%, but I just don't feel it. I'd much rather hit for 400 a lot, than hit for 600 every so often. 20% crit chance+crit chance mastery will make any level 1 fight work in your favor.

Selenitis

02-27-2010

Crit Damage is also useful on Ashe and Tryndamere. Both have a consistent way to ensure that they crit, although Ashe's is better for kiting.

But Crit Chance is more useful all game. And it applies to all auto-attacking dps heroes.

Tornsoul

02-28-2010

Im not going to vote on your poll because your poll is pointless.

That is like saying... get armor dawg?!?!? or magic resist man?!?!!

Its going to depend on the hero your playing more than anything else. Shaco and Plankplank will want crit damage because when they get that crit, something just explodes. While constant crits are good, most kills generated esp during the laning phase, come from an unexpected large amount of damage.

Both are good but situational..

sainthero

02-28-2010

Crits are already strong IMO. Crit damage still need chance to make it useful. So i go crit chance.

Malduk

02-28-2010

There's nothing to vote about. It is pure math. There is a point where one is better than another depending on bonus crit damage (>200).

wildfire393

02-28-2010

Yeah, the math has been done. If you have something like 35% cirt chance (pre-IE, 55% after), Crit Damage is giving you better average DPS. Otherwise, Crit chance is. The only heroes that are definitely exceptions to this are Ashe and Shaco, as they have abilities that can guarantee they crit.

However, I honestly would say not to get either. Armor Penetration is better in Marks and Quints, and in the other slot the effect is so marginal, and it requires you give up some fairly major primary runes, like ~6% cooldown reduction in Glyphs, 12% Dodge in seals, a solid amount of MP/5 in seals (enough that it is rarely necessary to buy early MP regen except on total mana *****s like sivir). Trust me, I've done the math, even for attacks with 100% crit chance, Armor Penetration gives more DPS than Crit damage in marks/quints. This is only not true at the very low extremes (where you have more penetration than they have armor, so part of it goes to waste as you cannot penetrate past 0), or the very high extremes (like 300+, where the difference between 300 and 280 armor isn't as significant as the % increase to your crit damage, but by getting Last Whisper, which you should anyways, especially in this case, you nullify this). So honestly, the only champion I can in good confidence suggest Crit Damage on is Shaco, as he can use it for the red potion ubergank at level 1. Similarly, the only champion I'd suggest Critical Chance on is Tryndamere, as more early criticals leads to a more spammable Spin and more Bloodlust stacks.

Morzas

02-28-2010

I don't like Armor Penetration outside of anti-tank items because this game is all about burst damage. Armor Penetration helps your sustained DPS, but that means it's easier for your target to predict when to escape. Critical strikes give you that much needed unpredictability in a game where you have so many easy escape tools (ghost, cleanse, heal, flash).

The best anecdote I can think of is one from a game long ago. A Shaco tower dove me, Gangplank, while I was at 300 or so HP. He crit me down to 100, so I shot him in the face. I got a lucky critical for 400 damage (crit damage page) and after a tower hit, he was a goner. If I ran armor penetration, my sustained DPS in lane would have been better, but this game is all about burst.