Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Rock it out with Lady Gragas

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Orya

03-02-2010

I like playing with Gragas a lot. Recently I play mostly attack power Gragas though, using... what was it.... brutalizer, swift boots, nashs tooth and warmogs. And then whatever else fits. Earlier today I had in a game something like 13 kills and 33 assists. It's funny because people expect more kegs, and not that you charge in and smack them around the head.

I'll try your version of the guide anyway, maybe it does a good job.

Vorvoros

03-02-2010

While i have tried your build and is fun, its seems rather lucklaster. From my experience a caster-hybrid Gragas, due to his champion abilities, becomes a one trick pony late game, spamming his ulti every 36 seconds at max cool. Most likely in the commosion you will barrel roll once or twice in a team fight, maybe, depending on your ap, deal some dmg, but i at least never felt like im making much of a difference. Remember, Gragas isnt a nuker, nor has any CC that will keep him away from focus fire(body slam makes u more of an initiator). On the other hand, tank build for Gragas is horrid imho, since there are many other tanks that can fill the roll better. I have yet to play an ap gragas focusing on dmg though, since i always felt CDR is important for him. Thus i generally prefer a dps/cdr hybrid build. Like Orya said, brutalizer and nashors tooth really shine on Gragas. Also if not mistaken, his drunken rage adds base dmg, thus proccing Sheen (feel free to prove me wrong if im mistaken). So i generally go for maxing/or almost maxing CDR with some survaivability. I generally dont put in many dmg items, since his rage seems sufficient to me. I generally go for brutalizer, boots (mercury/swiftness), sheen to build a trinity, spirit visage and a stinger (never turn it into a nashors though cause i dont wanna exceed the cap and better to save for another item, warmogs or an overkill cleaver).

Dunk In Public

03-02-2010

i've found that a tank/cdr hybrid works really well for gragas in a support role, although i usually end up being somewhere along the lines of 10-1-15, 15-4-20, etc when i play him. I play him with the same masteries you do, spell pen/cdr runebook, and a lot of cdr/tank items bought. I've found this combination to be EXTREMELY potent as you can basically spam your abilities in the teamfights and you can use them a LOT during said teamfight. That being said, you aren't very bursty but your staying power more than makes up for it.

TheMountainGoat

03-03-2010

i heard gragas will personally come to your house and kick you in the balls if he doesn't get a warmog.

Xanthyr

03-03-2010

Quote:
TheMountainGoat:
i heard gragas will personally come to your house and kick you in the balls if he doesn't get a warmog.

I've never gotten a warmog on him, but usually have 2.4k hp by the end game, which is bad if I get caught into rammu's taunt or anything similar, otherwise I don't really get touched.

Phiphler

Recruiter

03-03-2010

Why would he need Warmogs? He needs items that allow him to have a greater impact on the fight, not more passive survivability. If you get focused you can just run with Body Slam anyway, and with Rage it should be extremly hard to burst you down even if your only HP item is Soul Shroud.

SirCumference

03-03-2010

I would like to Add that after ROA, Rylais, and boots. If you're game manages to last longer than this somehow I usually throw lichbane in not trinity. If you already have that AP lichbane will throw in some MR and more dmg than trinity.

For summoner abilities I grab flash and Exhaust. With you being closer to the fight than most Exhaust is great if you have the talent. For talents I grab what most people grab. the 9/0/21. (At least I'm working towards it I'm not 30 yet)

I think the hardest matchup with Gragas is if you are playing another very long range character. I have found Tristana to be a real pain as it's very hard to hit her with anything and once you use a CD she can jump on you and dish out some damage. A well played trist usually wins the harrasment early.

The key to winning early is to push those towers down. I am most successful if at mid game at least 2 of my teamates in addition to myself follow me into a few towers. You should always be in the team fights. You have the staying power to be in almost all of them.

Also although Gragas is not the best tank I find it better to have ranged characters support him because he can play as ranged with AP and then take the damage of anyone gets that close. Take those towers down. Hero kills don't mean as much as tower kills IMO and with you never having to go to town you can constantly change lanes and pressure towers. This prevents as much ganking as the other team would like to do because they have to stop to defend their towers or lose them and you have great escaping ability as long as your towers are up to run to.

I don't think much has been said about runes. I take all magic penetration for red, all dodge for yellow, and I have some magic resist and some CD reduce for blue. All movement speed for purple.

Still fairly new to him but I've won 9 out of 10 games. That's 90% win ratio. We'll see how long that lasts.

Dunk In Public

03-03-2010

Quote:
Phiphler:
Why would he need Warmogs? He needs items that allow him to have a greater impact on the fight, not more passive survivability. If you get focused you can just run with Body Slam anyway, and with Rage it should be extremly hard to burst you down even if your only HP item is Soul Shroud.

i agree with you if you're playing full premade, but solo queueing it just doesn't work, you need the staying power of hp items in order to be of use

BatesThaBeast

03-07-2010

good build

So far this is the only way i have played gragas, haven't gone the tank route or damage, plan on it but this is practically the build i prefer. After Nashor's tooth i adapt however, depending on the situation, and sometimes depending on how hard im pushing early game, i focus on Q at level 3 instead of getting E, just to hit harder with the barrels. Frown on those who dont think barrels hit hard........eh maybe in games where gragas doesnt have a good lane mate, but whenever i run with dudes i have exp with in the lanes, i never have a prob playing grag.

And to the dude saying his barrel roll has 5 sec CD, doing 500 damage......consider, you already have drunken rage going, your headbutting, and autoattacking, with every 5 seconds another 500 damage......for some reason you were leaving out his other abilities he could use in between barrel rolling while melee'ing. Also with proper runes, items....masteries, i usually have a deathfire grasp, xtra 200 dmg on top..................wow how come every post i answer i gotta mention there are more factors involved then what people generalize them down too?

BatesThaBeast

03-08-2010

played tank build since my last post and whew, gotta admit that gragas as a tank is BEASTLY. Though i still see him being useful going AP he imo is FAR better as a tank team wise. Maybe its unique cause i hardly ever solo queue, but usually the guys i lane with work well with me and we have success alot of the time, either one of us getting alot of kills\assists.(Usually lane with a morgana, pantheon). I go Health Reg, either armor or Mag Res depending on whom im facing..........like to have flash\cleanse, lane with a stunner, and have runes in Armor Pen and Mana Reg.....workin wonders for me right now. i highly suggest it to people still trying AP grag.