Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Rock it out with Lady Gragas

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.
03-01-2010

I want to note something hear. I've made it pretty obvious that I queue with Joey often, and based on your comments, some of you seemed to be concerned with what he's bringing to the team. I'll tell you.

Often enough, when we play together and he's Gragas, I play a Carry. Some of you have noted his early game strength as well. Carries, nearly by definition, pretty much suck early game (Trist with no items, GP with no crit, Jax with no dodge...etc. Carries NEED items). With an AP Gragas, however, there is enough harass and general lane control to protect the carry (often me) from otherwise game-stunting problems for them. He can knock back opponents when they rush me and allow me the time to save myself. He can throw out a barrel to creep waves (often near our melee creeps or just behind theirs) to keep the opponents from either: A) farming or B) keeping me from farming. Beyond that, he can slow chasers/escape from opponents after helping me to do the same with a bit of his Body Slam. If Joey's game drops off then, often times it doesn't matter: his lanemate has been protected and fed long enough to break out.

For those of you who advocate a carry Gragas: Gragas doesn't have much carry potential when compared to other carries, in my opinion. When you think about it, telling an AP Gragas that he isn't as efficient as other casters is kind of ridiculous if you're going to say he performs better as a carry. At that point, I could say the same thing and tell you that it's rather ridiculous to play carry Gragas instead of, say, a Shaco or a Sivir. Much better carries, right?

For those of you who advocate a tank build: Gragas can tank with the best of them. He has an amazing damage reduction skill. The bad news? You don't have much annoyance capability for the enemy. If they leave you alone, the chances are they'll be fine. If you were Amumu, Rammus or Alistar, the same couldn't be said.

TL;DR: This build provides great babysitting/lane control power and there's no point in saying "this doesn't function as well as _____ might" because the same could be said of almost any build Gragas could use.

starmonkey

03-01-2010

Quote:
Mr Tibbers:

For those of you who advocate a tank build: Gragas can tank with the best of them. He has an amazing damage reduction skill. The bad news? You don't have much annoyance capability for the enemy. If they leave you alone, the chances are they'll be fine. If you were Amumu, Rammus or Alistar, the same couldn't be said.

Nice post, good points. I think you can go for decent AP/MP and still get high health. Gragas doesn't meed a Mejai's, but he does well with a RoA and Rylais (giving your barrels another use late game for slows).

Nashor's tooth is an interesting choice, I've yet to try that with my AP Gragas but will do so soon!

just call me evo

Recruiter

03-01-2010

I find it delightful to lane with joey's gragas, especially as Jax or Pants. What is nice about joey's build is the way he can harass so hard. eventually, enemies tend to try and push off their tower with less than ideal health, which sets me up perfectly for a kill (best case game). Worst case, Joey has saved my ass on the way out as I'm screaming for my mommy. his barrels become deterrents, along with his ult and charge, and he can take the damage as I get out. Additionally, his survivability is highly underrated. Gragas ONLY ports when he needs to shop. Period.

p.s. alistar is waymuch better despite all of the systematic nerfs he has received =p

P.P.S. I WANNA SEE YOUR ANIVIA GUIDE

incrediblyjoey

03-01-2010

Quote:
just call me evo:

p.s. alistar is waymuch better despite all of the systematic nerfs he has received =p

P.P.S. I WANNA SEE YOUR ANIVIA GUIDE

Fair enough. When I feel like playing a tank ragas, i'll make sure to whimper about how inferior to Alistar I am.

I don't think I need to post an Aniva gude because she is so used in top tier. The people that play Anivia kow how to play her well. I can guarantee I'm on the low end of the good player spectrum.

PowerSmoker

03-01-2010

Lady gragas Spotted O_O

incrediblyjoey

03-01-2010

Quote:
PowerSmoker:
Lady gragas Spotted O_O

You know, I saw shim at the grocery store the other day, but I wasn't sure if that was shim. Thank you for confirming my suspicions.

SirCumference

03-02-2010

To start I just want to say I do think Gragas is under powered.

You guys are missing something here though. All this talk about only 100dps from an AP gragas. Did you forget that barrel roll is an aoe? In a team fight it's hard not to hit more than 1 person with the barrel. Double your dps already. Also often in team fights there is a small amount of harrassing before the fight begins. You have to have long range like barrell roll to be successful doing this. Taking off a small chunk of HP is always helpful.

I find that getting ROA as first item by taking the health stone first is the way to go. You can easily stay in the lane with Q and W until you have enough cash to buy yourself a ROA and some boots. I usually get mercury treads if the enemy isn't taking magic resist otherwise I grab sorc boots if they are. Next item up is Rylais. Both of these items are HP and AP items. The reason I go for ROA first is the starting items are smaller and easier to buy in the beginning.

After you get these 3 items the game is usually over. There is no real late game if you are playing Gragas well with your team because you're pushing so hard and gained a lead early.

His ult is underrated. A decent player can do all kinds of things with it that completely change team fights.

I know this is horribly written so I'll try and sum it up.

Barrel roll is an AOE. It can be used effectively to produce a lot of DPS in team fights. He has a lot of staying power. Being able to stick around without going to town allows you to be involved in more team fights. Playing a stonger hero is no good if you aren't there to help. His ult is key. You never know what would happen if you used it at the beginning of a fight, in the middle, or end. It changes things if you use it right.

Xanthyr

03-02-2010

I've never had a barrel do 100 damage in the late game. If anything I've had barrels do more like 400-600 damage in aoe, and that's not my ult.

incrediblyjoey

03-02-2010

To SirCumference: Thank you very much. I'm glad to see people that know the potential that barrel roll has. I used to build Gragas that way often, but it just wasn't working for my play style. It could get the job done for sure though. I'm glad to see other Gragas players with builds that are effective. Good luck in your games. Someday we might face off.

To Xanthyr: THANK YOU! Jesus. People just don't comprehend how much of a pain in the ass his nukes can be. Like you said, thats not even his ult. If your barrels are hitting for 550 then you have 312 AP, and if thats the case.... Then your exploding casks are hitting for 762 with an AoE knock back and a 40% attack speed debuff. The pain people feel.

Xanthyr

03-02-2010

I really don't know what to think of other people's experience with Gragas in dealing damage, but my build is hybrid between magic resist, penetration and ability power. Penetration increases the ability power by percentages, which goes without saying. With the magic resist and the drunken damage reduction along with happy hour regen, I have no problem taking some loving while dishing it out.