Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

1500 Elo Player - Soraka Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Silent Reaper

04-18-2011

edit: My Elo is now 1697
I also have a 63% win rate with Soraka

I know alot of you might think Soraka is a really bad champion but she really isn't, she has some really good specs and playing her properly is very rewarding. One of the amazing abilities of Soraka is to make that early burst of damage the enemy puts on your team (like an Amumu, Anivia and MF Ult) seem like it never actually happened. She is great at keeping people alive, has global presence and allows your carries to get farmed up.

Being at 1500 Elo may not seem like much, but it roughly puts me at rank ~5500, which means i'm on the top 5% of players in this game, so hopefully this guide helps . Another thing to note is that just like you (the reader), I have also been stuck in the Mid Elo section and I can feel your pain, in most cases I find one of the best ways to get out of there is to just straight up play support champions such as Taric, Alistar, Soraka, etc. (Given that the majority of your team members pick something besides support).

Duo Lane Soraka

Masteries:
9-21-0 (Don't get dodge, and get improved heal)

Runes:
My Runes may seem very odd but it has it's reason.

Red: Flat Damage - These allow you to harass the **** out of your enemies with your auto attacks and allows you to zone them out. In laning phase you should when possible harass the enemy with your auto attacks (as long as you don't take significant damage in the process). Even if the harassing seems useless keep doing it, it will pay off.

Yellow: Flat Armor - These help with general survivability as Soraka is pretty weak early game.

Blues: Flat Magic Resist - Same explanation as for Yellow Runes

Quints: Flat Health, these help your sustainability since the amount of health you gain per level is comparable to the amount of health you have % wise. Also they help you survive bursts in damage.

Items:
Generally you want to start with
1x Amplifying Tome + Health Potion
Mejais (you should have this just before level 6)
Boots of Mobility
Rabadonas Deathcap (you finish building this around 20-30 minutes into the game)
Aegis (you can buy this before if you are dying too easily)
If you don't have enough Mejais Stacks (atleast 8 or so) sell it.
Will of Ancients

Skill Priority.
Ult > Heal > Mana > Starcall.

Boots of Mobility: Obviously you know how they work, so assuming you never want to die, you simply....don't do damage, only support. Get it? Right.

Mejais: Look every so often at the lanes and see if any of your allies are about to get a kill OR are getting killed. Use "Wish" (aka your Ult) and hopefully you get a Mejais stack out of this. Early game use your ultimate for this purpose as it allows you to snowball your Mejais Stacks.

Summoner Spells:
Ghost + Heal
(edit: Flash has started to become one of my favourits now..choose at your own discretion between either Flash or Ghost)

Since Soraka relies on positioning and just healing, get ghost so you can run around everywhere healing your allies.
(Combined with Boots of Mobility you're going to have more than 500 Movement Speed)

Now while you may find Heal a bad spell think about it this way, at level 18, it heals for
180 x 20lvl --> 540 Health. Which is pretty much the equivilent of how much your ultimate heals. So why not have two of them to all heal the better? It's an underated spell and is increadibly powerful in teamfights.
NOTE: If you are stunlocked and know you are barely going to die, use your Summoner Spell Heal (through the CC) to keep Soraka alive, since if you die, you are useless.
If in a teamfight you get CCed and/or focus fired, pop Ghost, Heal, Self Heal and Ult Heal. As long as you stay alive, you are useful.

Infuse: Save this for giving mana to allies when they need it OR before a teamfight use it to silence that nasty Amumu who wants to take out your team. In the laning phase you can if you want hoard the mana for yourself so you can heal more often. (If you are full on mana you can use this little spell for getting a few creep kills)

If I forgot any other important points i'll add them in here later

Super Duper Important
In regards to when to use your ultimate in teamfights, use it at the begining of the teamfights, when most of your allies are at 60~80% health. The reason being is that when a champion gets low on hp everyone on the enemy team will focus fire them, this is bad, really bad. By using your ult at the beginning of teamfights you are denying the enemy team the chance to focus fire your allies and makes it much more difficult for them to coordinate a focus fired attack on your allies meaning a more higher chance to success.
Ignite is used to finish off champions, if you use your ult just before an ally dies, do you think the heal will actually save him if the ignite is taking off 50% of that heal? I don't think so.

Edit:
Added a picture of what an average game is like for me.

kwjnfkjsdg

04-18-2011

good guide.

what do you think about stacking kage's lucky picks on soraka? since i'm usually paired with a tryndamere or a jax to babysit, i usually end laning phase with under 10 creep kills. getting 2 or 3 of these helps me get a rabadon's without denying my lanemate farm.

also, why will of the ancients? seems a bit too situational of an item to be put ina core build. soraka doesnt benefit from spell vamp, and it's only a good item fi there are many other casters on your team.

flat damage reds are intesrting though. soraka always has been an incredible harasser. i once mid'd against a soraka with AD runes as leblanc and i got destroyed. silence always canceled out my sigil mid-air..and infuse+70 damage autoattack at level 1 is NOT fun.

good guide though, and your stats show that you definitely know what youre talking about. hope this'll give soraka a lil more attention in the realm of support champs.

Silent Reaper

04-18-2011

Quote:
kwjnfkjsdg:
good guide.

what do you think about stacking kage's lucky picks on soraka? since i'm usually paired with a tryndamere or a jax to babysit, i usually end laning phase with under 10 creep kills. getting 2 or 3 of these helps me get a rabadon's without denying my lanemate farm.

also, why will of the ancients? seems a bit too situational of an item to be put ina core build. soraka doesnt benefit from spell vamp, and it's only a good item fi there are many other casters on your team.

flat damage reds are intesrting though. soraka always has been an incredible harasser. i once mid'd against a soraka with AD runes as leblanc and i got destroyed. silence always canceled out my sigil mid-air..and infuse+70 damage autoattack at level 1 is NOT fun.

good guide though, and your stats show that you definitely know what youre talking about. hope this'll give soraka a lil more attention in the realm of support champs.

I like the idea of Stacking Kages Lucky Picks and they work fairly well considering you get a massive amount of gold and a nice amount of Ap. However I felt like something is missing every single time I buy Kages Lucky Picks, not really sure why, I have tried going for the Deathfire Grasp but it just never really did work out... Being underfarmed is not supposed to be a problem as Soraka. In the laning phase you want something around 10-20 creep kills after 20 minutes. As for getting gold, use your Ultimate and heals to get your team assists.

Each assist on average nets you anywhere from 100-150 gold. Multiply that by an average of around 20 assists per game, you're looking at around 2k-3k Gold from only assists which should be more then enough. Since supports are suppose to get farmed up WITHOUT using the gold the carries gain, it's ideal to get Mejais since it's the most cost efficient item and allows you to easily become more powerful without stealing gold from your teammates.

Will of Ancients: Exactly, you want to use it to benefit your teammates, apart from providing the 35% spell vamp, it is still alot! Alot of champions still do magic damage, such as Renektons Ult or Sunfire Capes. Since it both increases Ap and Spell Vamp it helps your mages be a little bit less squishy and makes them a bit more tanky for your team. In the situation where none of your teammates have any kind of spell damage well your team composition itself is bad! In that case don't bother going for Will of Ancients.

OptimusPrimate

04-18-2011

I definitely agree with the idea of mejai's on Soraka, but my build and summoner spells are a tad different. I use flash instead of ghost on soraka, and instead of rushing a mejai, I go for a philo stone first, so that I can grab some gold/5, as well as a boost in my laning presence. After the philo stone, I go straight for mejai and stack it with my ult as you said, transitioning to aegis and finally upgrading my philo stone to shurelia's reverie, giving me a ghost-like active to use for positioning in teamfights and chasing down their team when it's cleanup time.

If you get the philo stone quickly, it only takes 1 or 2 assists before you'll be able to afford the mejai's, so you don't really lose out on a lot of stacks, while you still gain the gold/5 and the regen that is so valuable to Soraka in the laning phase. Shurelia's Reverie gives everything that a support could want, from CDR to hp to an extremely useful team-wide active.

The build order and summoner differences are really more personal taste rather than one being better than the other, I think. Hopefully somebody out there finds this useful.

Silent Reaper

04-18-2011

@LabMonkey12
Yeah, the 5goldper items are pretty popular, especially on Soraka. To be honest it's all a matter of preference, in my case having the amplifying tome at level 1 increases my base healing from 60 to almost 80 which although is small, in my opinion is definitly noticeable.
I like the Flash and Ghost combo, but I find myself in too many situation where 1) Flash only increases the time it takes for your opponents to kill you. In many cases you flash if you are ganked or are being focus fired. Both obstacles can be easily countered by proper positioning with the help of mobility boots. On the other hand, MF dealing 500 damage to all your teammates cannot be countered as easily with Flash. Lastly, while Flash is a great skill to stay alive it, in theory is more useless than Heal because
1) Heal, heals all nearby allies for +500 health
2) Can keep you alive almost like Flash can
3) You can heal while CCed
4) You can sustain teamfights and pushes

Flash: You can only save yourself, not your teammates.

However it's just my personal preference

As for Soraka, the item build has to almost always include Mejais + Deathcap since it's so godly on her. I like the 21 on defense masteries because it helps me survive a bit of damage, likewise with runes.

Ayayaaar

04-18-2011

why don't you check out THIS soraka guide

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=668737

STEALING MY HEAL SUMMONERS LIKE THAT

Silent Reaper

04-18-2011

Quote:
Ayayaaar:
why don't you check out THIS soraka guide

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=668737

STEALING MY HEAL SUMMONERS LIKE THAT

Putting a link so you can click on another link ain't cool bro.

Advertising your guide on other people's guide is very disrespectful, tastless and very rude. Don't do it.

I recommend you don't use Caps Lock on your Guide because it's annoying as ****.

Rainbow Colors ftw.

Ayayaaar

04-18-2011

AREN'T WE ALL SORAKA PLAYERS TRYING TO GET PPL TO PLAY HER

MAYBE YOU'LL GET SOME TIPS FROM MY GUIDE! LIKE I GOT A TIP FROM YOURS, TRY OUT MEJAI'S

AND IT'S JUST TEXT ON A SCREEN, CAPSCAPCAPSCAPSCASPS

lol

YOU CAN PUT YOUR LINK IN MY GUIDE ALL YOU LIKE

Silent Reaper

04-18-2011

Quote:
Ayayaaar:
AREN'T WE ALL SORAKA PLAYERS TRYING TO GET PPL TO PLAY HER

MAYBE YOU'LL GET SOME TIPS FROM MY GUIDE! LIKE I GOT A TIP FROM YOURS, TRY OUT MEJAI'S

AND IT'S JUST TEXT ON A SCREEN, CAPSCAPCAPSCAPSCASPS

lol

YOU CAN PUT YOUR LINK IN MY GUIDE ALL YOU LIKE

No we aren't. I read your guide and everything that has been explained there I already know of. Those kinds of tips are ones that players should learn by themselves, not from a guide as they help them increase their capabilities of understanding game mechanics.
Capslocks hurts the eyes, they're difficult to read and take up way too much space, don't use them.

TheCowGoes

04-18-2011

Quote:
kwjnfkjsdg:

what do you think about stacking kage's lucky picks on soraka?

My initial reaction thus:

Ew.

Granted, I'm not much of a Soraka player, but for the most part I tend to get real nervous when my teammates get more than one of anything. The problem with gold/5sec items is that they *can* be used to snowball like crazy -- if you hold on to them for 20+ mins. In the meantime, you're paying for what is essentially a very expensive amp tome. The only game I've seen this in was when our Soraka stacked 5 kage's and some CD boots. She upgraded the first to a Rabadon's just as our nexus was going down, and I couldn't help but wonder if she might have been more helpful with some different items. Just a thought.

Pretend that they're items that you buy on your way to DFG that become more or less free if you get them early on. Nothing more. It's certainly not something you want to base your build on, in my humble opinion. Feel free to disagree though, I may have just seen some very crappy Soraka/GP/Caitlyns/Trynds stacking gp items.