Mordekaiser - HP/AP?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zerlegen

02-27-2010

This isn't so much a guide, as it is a request for suggestions. Still getting used to Mordekaiser, and this has worked out pretty nicely for me, but I'd like to hear thoughts and opinions on the build I've got going for him thus far:

[Spells]

Ignite - It works excellent with his ulti, providing that sometimes necessary extra oomph to get that kill, or at least the ghost minion, should your target get away from you.

Exhaust - I personally prefer this over Flash or Ghost as a survivability spell simply because of its versatility. It has tipped losing battles in my favor quite a few times, and it's nice in team situations when it is essential that whoever it is you focus first does not get away.

[Items]

Doran's Shield - nice starter item.

Blasting Wand and Boots of Speed - on first trip back, usually when I hit 6, provided you have been actively killing creeps, otherwise, whenever you get the chance to.

Rod of Ages - up to this point, your passive has probably been saving your life, and with good reason. Since you are not focusing on HP right off the bat, keeping that shield up is a must. The reason we are rushing Rod of Ages is the fact that the earlier you get it, the sooner you enjoy the bonuses. I sell Doran's Shield at this point.

Mercury Treads - Reduced CCs will save your life.

The rest of my build comes along depending on how the game is going, but usually it goes like this:

Rylai's Scepter - More HP/AP, which is nice, and a slow to compliment the awesomeness that is Siphon.

Lichbane - I'm still toying with the idea of this one, and is one of the items I'm not sure about having in my build, but so far it provides a good AP bonus, along with increased Movement Speed (which is always nice for Mord), and gives your neglected melee a nice boost.

And then the rest is armor items, which depend on the enemy team's make up:
Thornmail - Attack Damage people never like this one.
Force of Nature - Nice against casters.
Warmog's - To last longer in those dragged out end game battles.
Frozen Heart - Armor and CDs

If it's one of those games where the enemy team has great defense but their killing capabilities suck.

Now, I realize that Mord's abilities don't scale very well with AP, except for his ulti. However, the way I play him, my ulti is the reason I live and breathe.
I'm not out there trying to get every kill, Mordekaiser isn't a nuker and though he can be pretty beast, killing just isn't what he does best. I provide support in team fights and initiate if I have to, or I bite the bullet and hang back a bit as we are being chased because more often than not, I have better survivability than the rest of my team, especially end game, so I can take a few knocks, and if I die, well so be it, at least I held them back long enough to give my team a chance to get away. Furthermore, thanks to that awesome AP scaling, Mord's ulti is just PERFECT for pushing, and pushing is what I personally do best. I've taken towers down from full HP just by sending my ghost in to attack it and either harassing a defender to keep them at bay, or attacking the tower myself if no one's around to defend it.

As for runes and masteries...

My mastery spec is 9/0/21... mainly because I'm not sure what would work best for Mordekaiser. I usually main Morgana so...
I recognize points are wasted on mana regen and stuff, but I like the cooldown the spec provides.
Open to suggestions though.

And in a perfect world, x9 Mark of Insight, x9 Seal of Resilience, x9 Glyph of Warding, and x3 Quintessence of Focus.
All tier 3 of course.

That concludes it.

Comments?

EDIT: As a side note, I must say that I have not yet tried to do a tank build. Feel free to bash me about it... only if you can provide me with a good example of what i SHOULD be doing. I'd like to try it, but I just fail at effectively doing tank builds.

TaigaStance

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-27-2010

Better off going straight HP + Regen. AP scales terribly. Not to mention Rod of Ages and Lichbane give mana, which is useless to Morde.
Speaking of HP regen, it's not in the core part of this build either (disregarding Doran's shield), and Morde really can't hold his own without it.

Khranz

02-27-2010

My biggest concern with this build is how much money you're burning on mana items. 2 blue crystals is 800g. Then on top of that, you have to remember that you're paying quite a bit for the Mana build bonus on RoA. That 800+g could be much better spent early game. You would probably get more out of your hybrid build if you swapped LB and RoA for Abyssal Scepter and Void Staff (the later only if the enemy has high MR though). I would also rush Rylai's as your first AP item.

Zerlegen

02-27-2010

@GkCHN

I dunno, Doran's does fine for me early game, and then I have enough HP that it becomes a non-issue. lol.
But yes, regen would nice

@Khranz

Great suggestions! I feel dumb for not thinking of it. Come to think of it, I can spare the AP slot to get more HP Regen too, as suggested above.
Good. Goood.

EDIT:

Ok, so I just went

Spirit Visage
Ninja Tabi (they were mostly physical)
Rylai's Scepter

And I was like, halfway into warmog's when game ended.
Worked out nicely, lol.

Khranz

02-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerlegen View Post
@GkCHN
EDIT:

Ok, so I just went

Spirit Visage
Ninja Tabi (they were mostly physical)
Rylai's Scepter

And I was like, halfway into warmog's when game ended.
Worked out nicely, lol.
Pretty much how my Morde looked early game when I first started playing him. Was very effective.

Chaoticon

02-27-2010

Any item with mana on it is fail period. I've won the last 8-10 games with a regen build.
Start with rejuv bead and two hp pots. First trip back boots of swiftness. Second trip spirit visage. Third + work on force of nature then wardens or warmogs. With a build like this I end up with 450-472 movement speed, 70percent reduction in magic and physical damage, and 2800ish hp.

zarthforums

02-27-2010

Morde has bad AP scaling and no use for mana at all. If you do go ap, other than a lichbane you'll need manaless ap items like Rylais and meljai's.