1920x1080 resolution problems

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ImpsterX

08-25-2009

I just got LoL today and when I went to start a match I found that apparantly my screen resolution was not supported. I have a 40" widescreen and I run everything at 1920x1080, but when the game started up, my screen just said "Mode Not Supported." I had to ctrl+alt+delete to get out.

I've read a few threads on here, trying to solve my problem, where you go into Riot Games\League of Legends\Game\DATA\CFG and change the game.cfg file. Problem is, I don't have any files in this CFG folder aside from the Defaults folder, which I read I was not to touch the game.cfg file. My understanding is if you do not have a game.cfg file in the CFG folder, your game isn't even loading up, but I know it must be loading up because my audio still still goes after I ctrl+alt+delete from the game, and I can hear the ingame music and when my summoned character gets killed.

Any advice?

mp40

08-26-2009

same problem for me

IS105fe22ad55abcc8caa74

08-26-2009

wel... did the same. Barely installed LoL, video settings, 1920x1080 => crash. restarted game, try another res and it work. Will try this evening 1920x1080 again just to see if it was a coincidence or it;s replicating.

gruof01

08-26-2009

Try setting your desktop resolution to something smaller temporarily and see if the game works with that. By default it just tries to match the resolution you have your desktop set to or a smaller resolution depending on if it defaults to high or low settings. If that works then you can try changing it to something else in-game, and that will write the cfg file you're looking for.

What resolutions does your monitor support? Is it a TV?

ImpsterX

08-26-2009

Yes, it is a TV. Not too sure about what resolutions it does support, I'll have to tweak it tonight when I have time after work. Thanks for the suggestion though, will definitely give it a shot tonight and I'll let you know if it works.

redit

Adjudicator

08-26-2009

If you're using a TV you *have* to make sure it supports the resolution you're trying to play - if it doesn't support 1920x1080, then try with 1280x720 (720p, HD "Ready").

ImpsterX

08-26-2009

Well, I got it up and running finally! I tried many different resolutions on my TV, but none seemed to work. So I got out my old 17" monitor and hooked it up to my PC instead. After that I booted up the game, and everything worked fine, I got in and could see everything no problem. So after I was in-game, I got into the video settings and changed it to windowed mode and changed the resolution. Then I rehooked up my TV and everything is working like a charm. May I suggest that you add an option under preferences in the launcher that allows you to change your video settings so that you don't have to go in game? So far all I see in there is one chat preference and two sound preferences.

Kavalier

08-26-2009

I second the notion for Video preferences in the launcher. I may have the same problem as ImpsterX, but sadly I don't have a monitor laying around to just go and change the settings in game. Is there a way to change it to windowed or otherwise in the Riot Games folder?

gruof01

08-26-2009

Yes, you can change it manually.

In the Game\Data\Cfg directory there may be a file called game.cfg. If there is not, just create a new text file there. Do not modify the file in the defaults directory.

Put this in it:

[General]
Width=1920
Height=1200
Windowed=0
UserSetResolution=1

Width and Height should be something your monitor supports. If you set Windowed to 1 the game will run in a window.

I agree that there should be a way to change settings from outside the game. I'll make sure it gets on the list of things to do. If anything it will probably end up in the launcher.

Undefined

08-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruof01 View Post
Yes, you can change it manually.

In the Game\Data\Cfg directory there may be a file called game.cfg. If there is not, just create a new text file there. Do not modify the file in the defaults directory.

Put this in it:

[General]
Width=1920
Height=1200
Windowed=0
UserSetResolution=1

Width and Height should be something your monitor supports. If you set Windowed to 1 the game will run in a window.

I agree that there should be a way to change settings from outside the game. I'll make sure it gets on the list of things to do. If anything it will probably end up in the launcher.
There are a lot of korean games that create this type of launcher / game start window. One thing that really bugs me about this type of interface is that the in-game settings can't be manipulated properly wit this setup. I agree that something should be done. I would much rather the launcher being replaced with a tradition game intro screen and a full screen display. I maybe be alone in this but after years of playing trashy asian games, I've been turned off to this type of interface. 1920 x 1080 support is KEY. while there are people that would be able to do the simple task of creating a text file, if you want this game to be smooth, setting up a configuration / options screen is crucial.