My thoughts on Mordenkaiser items

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rezoh

02-27-2010

This is not a guide and I'm not asking for help. Just want to discuss with the comunity the optimal items for Mordenkaiser from the start to an end.

First item

Regrowth pendant or Doran's Shield. Well after 10 games with Morden I know one thing for sure. You need health regeneration. With Doran's you have better early pressence but can't upgrade it. Every guide I've been reading is usually taking one of those two. Thoughts?

Second item

After the start I'm usually lacking speed. I cannot chase and I have trouble scaping ganks. So, for me at least It's either Mercury Threads or Boots of Swiftness. What do you usually do? Wait for your boots farming the lane or getting them ASAP?

Third item

Here starts the deep thinking. I ve gone 3 ways usually with very different success:

Rylais takes a long way to get. So youre pretty weak while farming it. Once you get it you're on your sauce.
Warmogs or Force of Nature. More for the tank role. If I get swiftness I take Force of nature and If I went Mercury I go for Warmogs.
Trinity Force. It works pretty well for Morden and I haven't seen many people using it. The item has it all and you can farm it buying chunks. I usually get Phage > Sheen > Zeal > Trinity
Frozen Mallet Perhaps it's just me but I do prefer Trinity over mallet.

Fourth Item

Discussing the 4th item and forth it's pretty useless because you ll usually complete your build depending on the other team and taking the items you don't already have.

Personally the build I'm liking lately is:

Regrowth
Boots of Swiftness
Trinity Force
Force of Nature
Rylais (usually just got the Giant belt and the game ends)

I play a hybrid beetween chaser/tank

Thanks for reading and I ll really appreciate your comments

Rezoh

02-27-2010

I've forgot to mention Guinsoo Rageblade. Never tried it but looks pretty great on Morden. Anyone tried it?

02-27-2010

Just giving my two cents to your discussion.

I prefer frozen to trinity but I play more tanky than anything. Frozen is great fro charging into a teamfight. If they scatter and you can tag one with a melee hit then he's slowed and your team can kill him. Frozen is more reliable than trinity for the slow and I don't worry much about doing melee dmg. Of course playing as a tank the more hp the better too.

I go regrowth first. I've seen people go vamp scepter first but tried it and found it horrible. Never tried Doran's but I'm not a fan of non upgradeable items.

I rush my force of nature next because it lets me spam all of my spells. Follow that with boots and my personal favorite Thornmail. Thornmail is great because dmg done to your shield is reflected and you can build your shield easily with spells (Like having mundo regen or Nasus LS but not counterable by an ex calling).

Boots I upgrade to Merc's if the enemy is CC heavy or Swiftness most times. Frozen mallet or Warmog's is next because you need the hp and it helps your Force of Nature.

Force of Nature, Thornmail, Boots of Swiftness, Frozen Mallet is the core of my build. The rest is situational. Banshee's for casters, Sunfire for melee, that sort of thing.

I've had decent success with these items but I'm still experimenting with other builds.

Edit: I had a couple sidenotes.
I've found AP to be a bad choice for Mord. His coefficients are just bad. Magic Pen is a better choice to power your spells and fill your shield.

I liked playing with a Rylai's but it seemed redundant with Frozen Mallet which has a better slow(And AD is better for Mord than AP imo).

Lifesteal, in my experience, is HORRIBLE for Mord. I know it seems like a good idea but Mace of Spades doesn't LS and you spam spells too much to do TOO many auto attacks. I think if you want to play an LS attack char there are better ones out there. Mord has a LS like effect due to shield anyways.

Due to the previously mentioned comments about auto attacks and AP coefficients I think Rageblade would fail horribly on Mord.

If anyone has had different experiences with Mord contrary to mine I hope they post here though. : )

Runyst

02-27-2010

I've liked going doran's shield, rylais, rage blade and if the game is still going, frozen mallet
rylai along with rage blade allows your creeping death to do around 102 dps which I do think the 20 damage difference between having no ap and some ap is pretty bg considering how you're doing damage to everyone in the radius
rage blade allows you to have a decent attack speed and damage at full stacks
add in a frozen mallet and wham, no one can escape you if you can hit em with 1 slow
I just tried a game going spirit visage first and man that just didn't work out too well @_@

Isik

02-27-2010

Your Mordekaiser seems very squishy, avatar.

Also, a few things to note:

If you're going to get Warmog, get it early. You can rip up the HP regen with it, you get plenty of HP too, and you need to make it worth it by leveling it up on creeps.

Force of Nature has sexcellent synergy with Warmog, lategame you generally have 3000+ HP. FoN gives you 8 HP/s, Warmog gives you 6 HP/s, let's assume you've killed 50 creeps since then, not unreasonable, and you have an additional 5 HP/s, and since you have 3000 HP and FoN gives you +0.35 of your max HP/s, that's 35 one thousandths, so,

3000/1000=3
3*35=105.

Wait, what? That can't be right...
Erm, moving on, the leaguecraft calculator is giving a lvl 18 Mord with flat Warmog and FoN 3000 HP, with about 40 HP/s regen.

That's scary.

Of course, you don't need it off the bat, FoN can come into play later. Warmog is easily enough to cover your early game HP needs. So what should you get? I'd reccomend something that will make you scary, like Deathfire Grasp. Mordekaiser is never particularly frightening, and there's nothing you can do about this. However, what people quickly realize is that you become terrifying at the END of a battle, where your curse and ignite start kicking in. They will likely start focusing you, so Deathfire will let you bring in the Curse stage a lot faster.

If the game drags on, your HP's use will start to deteriorate. It's wonderful early game for tanking people through towers, surviving confrontations, etc, but it starts dwindling later. Because of this, you should probably get an Atma's Impaler to reconcile that problem.

Additionally, you could ignore Force of Nature. 40 HP a second is nice, but it's 20 without and saves you nearly 3 grand. Your Magical Resist needs some help, but it's only 740 for a Negatron cloak.

Of course, I have neglected to mention boots of swiftness. I build these while building my Warmog at the beginning.

Again, I've found Warmog invaluable early game, for your HP isn't too ridiculous and therefor you will be attacked. After boots and Warmog, it's probably the team phase--an unfortunate 4200 gold later, you're building deathfire grasp. However, gold isn't too impossible to come across early game, you're great at jungling because of your AoEs, your mace can be a single target nuke, and your shield takes most of the damage.

It's important to note that if you don't want to, you can save 1100 and get Warmog later in the game. This change effectively makes your death fire cost 1500.

Hmm, this is getting me thinking.

Runyst

02-27-2010

it might be my elo but I just steam rolled two games as a tank mordekaiser
got warmogs first and boots depending on team composition
then if they were dps heavy I went thornmail
if they were caster heavy or had some I went and got force of nature
basically all I did was bait them into chasing me, run until a teammate is near, turn around and start smashing their face in
I do think it is somewhat team dependant though considering how you won't be killing people all on your own unless they decide to duke it out with you
ignite with his ultimate just hits those runners so hard, it gets funny to watch as they try to escape o_o

Mesa H

02-27-2010

i thought Warmog was almost his signature item, given his great farming ability, basically Morde doesn't need much other items, just survival ones, coz his abilities are all percentage based, they pwn throughout the game. dunno, at least it's how i see it

Runyst

02-27-2010

I gotta say I love it when you bait 2 guys after a skirmish into your whole team
doesn't happen often but very satisfying when it does
people still aren't used to the whole shield thing apparently
they see a morde on low life and chase

zarthforums

02-27-2010

regrowth -> warmogs
boots -> tabi/mercury
phage
BF sword
frozen mallet
BF sword
2x bloodthirsters from BF (bloodthirsters are good not so much because of the lifesteal but the fact that they add 100 dmg each, you can't crit enough for ie to be effective and the rest just sucks because of your atk spd).

Last item is optional and you'd probably never get it but i suggest a bv or force of nature.

Oddly enough, this is the same build i have for mundo...

Morde's shield pwns hard, thank god + mana items don't increase it.

Victarion

02-27-2010

After about 20 games with Mord (15-5)...I've started every time with Regrowth and into Warmogs as the very first thing I build, which usually ends up around level 8 or so. From then it's boots of swiftness and BF sword/bloodthirster. Finish it up with a Frozen Mallet and you have yourself one helluva tank/dps hybrid. Usually the game is over at or before the frozen mallet, but after that it really doesn't matter too much.