[Suggestion] Reduction of bandwidth for people on lan

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TacoSpag

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-17-2011

My friends and I find gaming to be social. League of legends is no exception. Although we do play over the Internet using voice communication programs such as mumble, we enjoy gathering up in each other's basement to play League of legends. This results in groups of 5 to 10 people trying to play league of legends from the same connection. As would be expected, this puts a lot of strain on and causes the connection to drop often. This does not happen when there are only a few people playing.

I suggest that for scenarios in which two or more people are going to be playing from the same lan in the same game, there be a way for a 'host' computer to handle all of the incoming and outgoing data to the League of legends servers, and then that computer sends data back and forth via lan to the others. this reduces load on the internet and allows for more people to play together.

For example, lets say 5 people were to play a game together from the same connection. The one deemed to have the best computer would then be assigned as the 'host' and that computer would handle the data from lol servers. Then, that computer connects to the other clients to repeat that data, rather than 5 different computers requesting the same thing from lol servers

Tha Steelman

04-17-2011

Ideal for LAN parties everywhere.

TacoSpag

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Steelman View Post
Ideal for LAN parties everywhere.
not only that, but for tournaments as well. its a waste of bandwidth otherwise and an obvious degradation of performance
and instead of making a gaming computer the host, they could also have another 'server' for a whole event. there are many ways to achieve the same effect, with the same end result of better

FuzionZero

04-18-2011

I don't really see the difference. Instead of say 1 packet of data from 5 computers, you just have 5 packets of data from 1 computer, or 1 packet of data from 1 computer that contains 5x more data than in a packet from a single computer.

I doubt the LoL Servers are having trouble keeping up with your LAN. It is more likely your own connection or hardware.

Ricky Bright

Recruiter

04-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzionZero View Post
I don't really see the difference. Instead of say 1 packet of data from 5 computers, you just have 5 packets of data from 1 computer, or 1 packet of data from 1 computer that contains 5x more data than in a packet from a single computer.

I doubt the LoL Servers are having trouble keeping up with your LAN. It is more likely your own connection or hardware.
That is not correct. It would be five packets of data to 5 computers.

twomz

04-19-2011

And then the power goes out at his house and the game crashes for everyone, instead of continuing for the other 5 players like normal. Good idea, but it shouldn't be available for anything but completely LAN dedicated games (all 6/10 players on the same LAN).

Bwarf

04-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomz View Post
And then the power goes out at his house and the game crashes for everyone, instead of continuing for the other 5 players like normal. Good idea, but it shouldn't be available for anything but completely LAN dedicated games (all 6/10 players on the same LAN).
Why would the game crash for everyone? I don't think you understand.

5 separate enemies <-> LoL server <-> host teammate <-> 4 other Lan teammates

If the power went out the only people that would crash would be the 5 teammates, not all ten.