Runes for Malphite

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shaidyn

04-17-2011

I'm aaalmost level 20, and I'm looking to buy my first set of runes. My main is Malphite, so I want to get things right for him to start.

Malphite is the champion I've found that has the greatest diversity of advice. Every guide suggests different items, masteries, runes, and playstyle.

So rather than ask "What runes should I get?", I'm asking, "Are these runes a huge mistake?"

Blues: Magic Resist per level. Malphite's armor is already decent, and stacking armor is of course a bad habit of mine, so I figure this should help out there.

Reds: Magic Penetration. My auto attacks aren't a huge part of my damage, as opposed to my ult and my Q. I figure this is a good way to get a bit more damage.

Yellows: Armor Per level. Kind of an obvious choice.

Quints: Flat HP. The starting hit points will help me soak up damage to start. Will also benefit my passive.

All in all, a solid tank set up. Any other suggestions or advice on where I'm going wrong?

UpsideVII

04-17-2011

This is what I run for lane Malph. It's important to note that I play by maxing Q as fast as possible and using it to harass heavily, thus, I forgo some of the more defensive runes.

Reds: MPen - Nothing really better here, plus these are needed for every other caster
Blues: Flat CDR - MR/Lvl is good too. I bought CDR because it's universally more useful.
Yellow: MP5/Lvl - Allows you to harass like none other and basically ignore mp lategame
Quits: Flat HP is pretty much the best.

malphismia

04-17-2011

Reds: 9 MPen
Blues: 9 Flat MR (required because you'll be getting armor for the first few items)
Seals: 9 MP5/level (get doran's ring to complement your harass)
Quints: 2 HP quints, 1 MPen quint (thats what I run)

good luck, level up shard as much as possible, ignore W, and Q as much as possible on the squishy you're laning vs.

1ronLung

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-17-2011

9 Magic Pen reds your damage is a lot of magic, so this makes sense. also useful on casters

9 Flat armor yellows. you can use these to jungle and up your DPS early game and provide free tankyness VS AD champs

9 CDR blues. you want your ult up as fast as possible as well as all your abilities. these can be swapped with MR/lvl also

3 HP quints. you could also use MS, CDR, or Magic resist/Armor.
depends on your playstyle really

give this guide a look, it has a few other options for different Malph playstyles

http://tinylc.com/q5

Cercio

04-17-2011

I have about 200 games as malph, and have done everything from soloing against 2v1 to mid. Malph is a disgusting mid if your opponent underestimates your harassing ability with your Q. I typically run Mpen reds armor yellows magic res p/lvl blues and movespeed quints (also go 9/21/0 for the magic pen) This plus ignite and ghost for my spells can easily allow you to harrass someone low enough to ult/ignite them for the kill. I don't run with any type of mana regen so I generally buy mana pots and boots to start

M4nTiCoR3

04-17-2011

Looks like pretty well thought out choices to me. There are a lot of things you could go for that make sense, but what you actual end up taking depends on how you tend to build items and run spells. Lately i have found i like taking clarity and ignite, so unlike MatadorRED, i dont feel the need to take Mp5 runes. In the past I really liked taking Mp5 and CDR, but found that the MR/lvl glyphs and my natual sclaing in MR was pretty much all i needed till mid game, where i tend to buy a negatron and usually turn it tino Abysal Sceptar.

Sounds like you have thought this out pretty well by your own commentary. Welcome to Mal-Fight Club, good luck, and...

Stay Rock Solid,

-gap81

cantol

04-17-2011

Your runes are fine, but I think that Armor per level and MR per level aren't worth it. He's very easy to kill early game so I like to have 13 MR/Armor at level 1 from my runes. Late game those per level runes will hardly be noticeable among all your item stats. It's preference I guess, but it really does make a huge difference, especially after they lengthened his passive to 12 seconds.

M4nTiCoR3

04-17-2011

Yeah, i kinda agree with the flat AR seals bit. Being able to start with 30+ AR and MR is pretty sweet. Your MR will scale up about as fast as your AR does if you got the per level kind, and the difference between 15-36 AR at the beginning of the game is pretty big.

The reason you can get away with per level for MR is two fold. MR starts higher than AR, and Magic damage isn't as frequent in the early part of the game because champions only have 1-2 skills stated and cant spam them as frequently as they can post level 6.