Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Language barriers are killing the game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blackclaw Apoch

04-25-2011

Just played a game full of Chinese where two of them had abysmal ratios (around 2-to-10), and none of them called MIAs. Terrific.

Beatus

04-25-2011

Instead of language filter, a multi-language tutorial with the basics(pinging, calling mia, warding) might be more effective. It wouldn't screw qeue and it can't be that hard to say "mid mia", regardless of what your mother language is.

Karl the Pagan

PvP.net Engineer

04-25-2011

Quote:
Beatus:
Instead of language filter, a multi-language tutorial with the basics(pinging, calling mia, warding) might be more effective.

A team communication tutorial sounds like a good idea. This is possible now that we have advanced bots.

Beatus

04-25-2011

Quote:
Karl the Pagan:
A team communication tutorial sounds like a good idea. This is possible now that we have advanced bots.

Thank you for your quick reply. This is like the 10th time I sugest this.

TheDevilPup

04-25-2011

Quote:
Karl the Pagan:

Or you could be less lazy and develop a matchmaking system that doesn't team me up with Spanish speakers.

Beatus

04-25-2011

Quote:
TheDevilPup:
Or you could be less lazy and develop a matchmaking system that doesn't team me up with Spanish speakers.

Spanish speakers on NA server. How terrible.

TheDevilPup

04-25-2011

Quote:
Beatus:
Spanish speakers on NA server. How terrible.

How well would you do on a job if you were the only English speaking person and every other person spoke Spanish?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

IS186afbf367d955

04-25-2011

Quote:
Karl the Pagan:

I think you should try to let the player chose if they wanna play with players from their country (MM would try its best, not do it 100% of the time because doing fair matches should stay the #1 priority of MM). Since the playerbase of lol is HUGE i don't see how it would be a problem.

Beatus

04-25-2011

Quote:
TheDevilPup:
How well would you do on a job if you were the only English speaking person and every other person spoke Spanish?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Same if you're the only Spanish speaking person and every other person spoke English. NA =/= USA.

PremonitionofWar

04-25-2011

I made a post trying to come up with widely applicable and easily implemented solutions for trying to improve the team experience in all Elo's through MM. Part of this idea was combining EU and NA servers into a shard so ignore that part of the excerpt from that post.

The rest is a more robust form of map tools players can use to signal their team as explained below:

Language Barrier
By combining servers into a single one, you create very real issue of reduced avenues of player communication. Based on my experience, most players on the EU server know English, or are familiar enough to recognize phrases and use them (often explicative ones). While this alleviates part of the issues for team communication, it is not an ideal one.

Pings, Squiggly Lines, Inappropriate Objects on the Mini Map
I desire the addition of more functional UI capabilities that facilitate communication. Communication in a team orientated game like this is key. By increasing tools available to the player to communicate, the chances for teamwork to occur increase.
Some changes I would love to add, would be the addition of another type of Ping. Currently the only Ping we have is the blue one, with that particular sound effect, and contextual ones on heroes, and buildings. I personally in my game, use ping to communicate often with other players; iIndicating for them to get a buff, possible positions, and ganks from junglers. I am guilty sometimes of ignoring these pings sometimes, as I think they aren’t for my or disregard their importance.
A way to alleviate this would be to have a separate ping players could use. This Ping would be Red and have a completely different sound then the one we are used it (a sound more urgent, like the Emergency Broadcast System buzzer). This would allow skilled players to provide even more information to each other with the same context as before. All of this has no dependence on language.

Note: The Blue/Red colors are hypothetical, these colors could be altered to promote functionality with color blind people <3

The second addition to the UI I would like is the ability to draw on the mini-map. This tool could he used to indicate possible paths, either by the enemy or yourself. It could potentially make your movements, and positioning much more clear for other members of your team.

For implementation I would suggest that the line you can draw, be able to be curved but have a max length and only appear on the mini map for 5-7 seconds (only being able to have 1 at a time). This would prevent abuse from players possibly drawing inappropriate objects on the Mini Map. Additionally, the line weight could be very small, to prevent a player from griefing another by blocking important mini map information.

Breaking Down the Language Barrier
These changes could have a potentially very beneficial effect for high ELO players of different language as it would give them the tools to communicate effectively and quickly to each other. Without relying on a language. For low ELO players, these tools could be at the very least be beneficial or negligible. As low ELO players don’t have the same magnitude of teamwork and dependency as high ELO players, and thus don’t rely as much on language. Therefore, suffer far less from language barriers than high ELO players looking for teamwork.