Language barriers are killing the game

First Riot Post
123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blackclaw Apoch

04-22-2011

I'm sorry, I don't see how this can be viewed as racist/xenophobic. I don't even see how it's possible to identify peoples' race on a video game where I can't see or hear the actual player.

This is about language, and speaking English is all people seem to care about here.

DQQ

Recruiter

04-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatus View Post
Go study geography please and stop posting useless racist/xenophobic threads.
The OP isn't a racist remark, language barrier really kills games. I speak Mandarin Chinese and when I pre-made queue with other Chinese speaking friends, I often feel bad for the one lone guy that's on our team that only speaks English. (But I'd translate and whatnot. ) It's hard to offer tips/directions when you can't communicate. Whats even worse is the difference in lingo/acronyms used during gameplay.

League of Legends NA caters to the NA audience,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackclaw Apoch View Post
I joined the game thinking the North American server would be predominantly English-speaking (like the NA servers for WoW), but I'm really disappointed to see this isn't the case.
where the de facto official language is English, so Riot should really exercise some kind of control on this as quality assurance. I kind of expect Mexican food when I dine at a Mexican restaurant as opposed to getting spaghetti.

For non-English speaking players, Riot should consider opening additional servers, there's obviously a large presence of non-English speaking players.

I don't think anyone expects an overnight change, but it would be nice to have some kind of response from Riot on this issue.

Blackclaw Apoch

04-22-2011

Quote:
The OP isn't a racist remark, language barrier really kills games. I speak Mandarin Chinese and when I pre-made queue with other Chinese speaking friends, I often feel bad for the one lone guy that's on our team that only speaks English.
It's good to see that there are people who can empathise with me on this issue without necessarily being as badly affected by it as I am.

Quote:
For non-English speaking players, Riot should consider opening additional servers, there's obviously a large presence of non-English speaking players.
I'm not seeing how this requires additional servers, even to implement the solution. My IT knowledge is no doubt more limited than the Riot staff responsible for these sorts of things, but I would argue that the server is already fine coping with its current load. All we really need are different matchmaking queues. Again, my IT/networking knowledge isn't the best, but I would think that the matchmaking process would consume far fewer server resources than the actual games being hosted. Plus, if you were to implement new, separate servers, you would also want to move the already-existing LoL accounts of affected players to the new servers, and that's not an easy task.

Quote:
I don't think anyone expects an overnight change, but it would be nice to have some kind of response from Riot on this issue.
I actually asked Tamat, Pendragon and Guinsoo their opinions of this via Twitter, and I got DM (direct-message) replies from Tamat and Pendragon. I won't say exactly what they said, because a) readers might think I'm talking out of my ass and b) the messages were private and I'm not sure if copy-pasting it would be interpreted the right way.

But, to summarise it, they do not currently seem to interpret this situation as a problem.

Thus, I'd like to ask that any interested readers post first-hand accounts of their games turning horribly wrong, due to players not speaking English. They don't have to be losses, but they should reflect how utterly frustrating it is to have most of your teammates unable to understand anything you say.

McHue

04-22-2011

I always find it annoying when some BR panth walks in not knowing about the nerf nuke they layed on Panth and constantlly going AJAJAJAJAJJAJAAJJAAJJAJAAJ SI SENRIOR CESOIE CROFIA ALAMGTO! And then feeding, not being able to do anyting becauseTHEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND!

btw, this isnt ment to be rasist, and if u take it offensivlly, then get a sense of humor my espanic amigo.

Blackclaw Apoch

04-22-2011

I'm not singling out any particular language here, Dread Blade, but what you said is a good example of a team game gone horribly wrong because someone didn't speak English.

A team-based game like League of Legends takes a pretty heavy turn for the worse, when parts of that team can neither read nor write in English. It gets especially bad when there are ranked ladders, which can change considerably from this situation, which is out of everyone else's control.

Imagine, if you will, that players joining a random ranked match would have a random chance that their team chat would be disabled, and that they'd be unable to talk with their teammates. People would be absolutely livid, and it would be no doubt fixed. Why? Because players shouldn't be disadvantaged at random, especially if it affects ladder rankings.

And yet, this problem gives the same effect (not being able to communicate with your teammates), and is completely impossible to prevent from happening.

Beatus

04-22-2011

Apparently, people tend to forget that NA =/= USA. I can speak either Spanish, English or French, since this is NORTH AMERICA server, not USA server. Hence why I said "go study geography" earlier.

Blackclaw Apoch

04-22-2011

Quote:
Apparently, people tend to forget that NA =/= USA.
As an Australian, I am completely aware of this, Beatus. However, RiotGames is situated in the USA, which speaks English. The North American game client is based in the English language.

But hey, you're right. North Americans can speak Spanish, English, or French, depending where exactly in North America they are. I'm not saying they should be banned from LoL or anything extreme.

But don't you think it would be significantly beneficial to the community to have separate matchmaking queues for each language?

edit: While I can understand your viewpoint, it doesn't defend the significant number of Asia-based players on the NA servers (although that probably wasn't your intention).

Villiroth

04-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatus View Post
Apparently, people tend to forget that NA =/= USA. I can speak either Spanish, English or French, since this is NORTH AMERICA server, not USA server. Hence why I said "go study geography" earlier.
Your argument is invalid, hes not asking that Riot bans people that dont speak english hes simply asking for a language filter in the queue system.

This is a team game, one that is very reliant on proper communication. Its EXTREMELY difficult to communicate with someone that speaks another language face to face where you can see facial expressions and body language, nvm online where its just type.

Villiroth

04-23-2011

Bump for an attempt to get a red response as to if this is in the works/"soon"/never to be seen.

Blackclaw Apoch

04-24-2011

Bump. I'm getting really sick of this.

123456 ... 7