Language barriers are killing the game

First Riot Post
12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blackclaw Apoch

04-17-2011

RiotGames -

Please stop believing that English-speaking players are able and willing to play LoL easily with non-English-speaking players (French, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Malay, Tagalog, etc).

In typical multiplayer games where team cohesion (via voice/text) is not exactly required (Counter-Strike, Team Fortress 2, Call of Duty), language barriers are nowhere near as big an issue as they are here. Games often hinge on the teams' abilities to communicate between each other, and frankly, a big loud 'ping' button isn't really the way of going about it.

Players should not have to be forced into games that are lost before they even begin because of this. Players should definitely not have to lose ladder ranking because of this, when it is completely out of their control.

I would not suggest for you to range-ban IPs based on country, even though this is commonly practiced by Asian multiplayer games intent on keeping out non-native-language speakers. However, I would strongly suggest some form of separation between language speakers.

From personal experience (as an Australian), I spent a significant amount of time in the East Asian servers of Warcraft 3, and encountered many DotA games with prefixes attached to the game name, indicating the country the game was being played in (i.e. 'SG' for Singapore). Considering all of the advancements you have made from DotA in your game, it is confusing to me how League of Legends has not yet offered some form of language-based separation. Frankly, I've gotten to the point of just giving up when I see teammates speaking French, or Chinese (or anything else that isn't English).

Is it possible to create different matchmaking queues? I joined the game thinking the North American server would be predominantly English-speaking (like the NA servers for WoW), but I'm really disappointed to see this isn't the case.

ExiTWouNDS8o8

04-17-2011

Amen!

Blackclaw Apoch

04-17-2011

Can we get some sort of reply regarding anything being done to combat this?

Again, it confuses me how RiotGames goes to so much effort making LoL better than DotA, yet still hasn't gotten something this fundamental in place yet.

Blackclaw Apoch

04-17-2011

That's not appropriate, and neither is your name.

Fireseed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2011

You know what they should do? Have chat filtered through a service like Babelfish or something. Even if it's a crude translation it's better than nothing

Blackclaw Apoch

04-20-2011

Just got a 24 hour ban for leaving a game where no one in my team spoke English. Because, you know, I'm the one who's doing something wrong.

Hey Aqualung

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-21-2011

the closest thing you can get will be to have servers like battle.net, where its like north america, europe, asia, etc

thats more money to run more servers
and it breaks up the player-base

or theres could be 5% non-english speaking players playing and that just doesnt justify the above

Blackclaw Apoch

04-21-2011

If you think only 5% of LoL's player base don't speak English, you're not thinking much at all.

Blackclaw Apoch

04-21-2011

Do they even have to make new servers? I mean, if the servers can already bear the load of LoL's entire playerbase, can't they just make separate match-making queues?

Beatus

04-22-2011

Go study geography please and stop posting useless racist/xenophobic threads.

12345 ... 7