RP or IP boost?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

U2Q CuteJenny

04-15-2011

Is it cheaper to purchase IP boosts to buy champions or is it better to just straight up purchase the champs using RP?

Tyler Perry

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-15-2011

Depends on how many games you will play of course.
I usually buy IP boosts instead of flat out buying the champ with RP if I dont have a lot of time on my hands.

Also, timed IP boosts > win# boosts

AngieBug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-15-2011

well what i use the ip i earn in this game or earned since i somewaht dont play is just buying runes I bought the 2 original bundles and bought the rest of the champions and skins with RP that is the best way to go but it is expensive cost me around $605.00 for every champion and 10 rune pages and around 94 skins =^.^=

Th3Fe3DeR

04-15-2011

IP can buy champs and runes

Rp can only buy champs

IP boosts are better deal for the money.

SlyGoat

04-15-2011

It depends on if said champion is on sale.

Buffinita

04-15-2011

it really depends; If i have a day where i know i will have nothing to do besides game; ill buy the IP boost. If i know i wont have a lot of time for the next few weeks and can only get a game or two in i may just buy the character (and then cry when its free next rotation)

plasmatorture

04-15-2011

Champions all the way, especially 6300 IP champions who are on sale (ie Karthus and Vlad right now).

a 10 win IP boost = 1410 IP for 670 RP (2.1 IP/RP). You can buy a 6300 IP champion for 487 RP on sale (12.94 IP/RP), or not on sale for 975 (6.46 IP/RP). It's obvious which is the better deal. Even buying a 3150 IP champion for 975 RP gives you a better return (3.23 IP/RP), though it's not the best deal.

Now, wait, with day boosts you could get more than 1410 IP! The most efficient one is the 14 day boost for 1846 RP. You'd have to earn 23,888 IP in those two weeks to match the 12.94 IP/RP efficiency that buying an on sale champion gives you. Assuming an extremely generous average 100 IP/game at an average of 30 minutes, that's 239 games you'd have to play in a week, about 120 hours of game time or 8.6 hours of playing a day. If you can keep that up for two weeks straight you officially have no life - and then you're only MATCHING the rate of return you get for buying an on sale champion.

SUBMARINER

04-15-2011

It will be cheaper to use a timed IP boost if you are able to play a significant amount with it active. If you don't think you will fully use the boost just buy the champion with RP. I personally wait for a good day and then buy an IP boosts. Plus it's always nice to see large amounts of IP earned after a well earned victory. Kinda puts the icing on the cake.

Cayten Shift

04-15-2011

Unless you want runes or something, it's generally a better idea to just buy the champion with RP. A 14-day IP boost (the most efficient boost) costs 1846 RP. Using a base calculation of 975 RP=6300 IP, the amount of RP you'd need for a boost is equivalent to 11,928 IP, or roughly 12,000. So, in order for the boost to pay out MORE than just buying the champions with RP, you need to make 12,000 IP or more with the boost (STRICTLY from the boost--FWOTDs and the amount you'd be getting normally don't count). Per-game IP ranges from 20-140 or so, depending on what type of game you're playing and how you do. Let's be generous and give you 85 IP per game. 12000/85 is 142 games; roughly 10 games per day. If you play more than that, it's more efficient than buying champions. I'm sure that's not the case, though, so you're better off buying the champions directly.

For a different comparison, let's say you want to buy Vladimir and Kog'Maw (or whoever, I don't really care). Together, they cost 1950 RP, whereas a boost costs 1846. You can either get the boost and play about 150 games--in which case it's about a dollar cheaper--or you can just buy them and save yourself the work. Yes, you'll actually GET the champions before 150 games because of FWOTD and the fact that you're actually making twice that much to begin with--in fact, you'll have about 27,300 IP at the end of this--but you'll actually be making more of a profit if you just buy the champs to start with.