How to Reduce Champion IP Costs and Remain Profitable

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Herkucheeze

04-15-2011

Hey Riot,

So it seems like the vast majority of champions released these days are either 4800 or 6300 IP, with a random 3150 thrown in every now and then. I get it, if new champions are too cheap IP-wise, no one will spend money on them, and this little business venture will stop making money.

I propose that you give new champions normalized, difficulty-based IP price-points on release (ie: Vlad and MF would have been 1350, Renekton maybe 3150, Irelia 1350... you get the idea). However, I recommend that for the first two weeks that a champion is out, it would ONLY be purchasable with RP, like an exclusivity period.

This would create a good income stream, while allowing most new champs that come out to have a non-astronomical IP cost. Additionally, I wouldn't have to see the newest released champion in every game for the first week that they are out (maybe).

What's everybody think?

Team Andromeda

04-15-2011

No

Tajima

04-15-2011

I disagree. Have high IP does a couple things.

1) As you said encourages spending of RP, which is good for Riot business.

2) Limits the traffic and purchase of a new champion which in turns limits queue dodges or arguments between people wanting to play the new champion.

3) Forces people to spend their IP wisely, encouraging testing of champions or even waiting for the rotation of the new champion the following week again reducing traffic.

Really, there is no negative for a high IP price from a company standpoint. The only negative from a consumer standpoint is that, it'll take a long time to acquire. However, between free champion rotation and a little patience, that champion will be yours over time, or forgotten because you've tested the champion and not like them. Don't forget there is still plenty of 3150, 1350, 450 champs that you most likely do not own. Also 6300 is not so high that it is impossible to obtain.

The feeling of wanting to reduce IP is due to the negative standpoint of taking a long time to acquire said champion. Since there no weight or strong reasoning besides just wanting a champion quicker, I believe having the 6300 IP is reasonably accounted for by the company.