Vengeful Maelstrom Remake

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mr Scorpio

04-15-2011

There's certainly a timing skill to this ability. I usually turn it on as soon as a team fight begins, and I'll leave it on until I feel like we've got the advantage. Even if a teammate dies after turning it off, our advantage should be atleast 2:1 tradeoff, hopefully more.

I'm also guilty of forgetting to turn it off and I oom myself before the battle finishes. Always happens that clarity is on cd.

Draconic74

04-15-2011

I bought him because I tank a lot and I liked the idea. Then I was sad because he was more of a caster. With the recent buffs, he is way more viable as a tank, but his ult is still really difficult to use, mainly because every teamfight i get into starts moving around, making the ult useless.

I can't get the damage off, I can't keep the fight inside the AoE, I can't move it around quickly enough like Anivia. I stopped using his ult for anything, then just stopped using him period. The best thing I can think of would be to make the AoE follow Maokai so that a moving teamfight does not completely shut his ult down. However, perhaps make the Ult not affect him, otherwise he would use it more or less like Alistar and not in a teamfight like he should be doing.

Also, the delay in activation had cost me too many carry deaths. Shen is just more reliable.

Truhls

04-15-2011

I agree, i love maokai. I love all of his regular abilities. I find myself almost never usingh is ult to deal damage though unless in a 1v1 situation. For one whilei m trying to protect the carry, i cant watch everyones life and end the ult exactly when needed. Chances are i missed it and just ended the ult for no reason.

Two is his ult actually does pretty crappy damage. While the 20% reduction seems great in theory, its multiplicative with tanky champions. You arent saving the carry with maokais ult, all your doing is stopping you and usually 1-2 other people on the team from taking so much dmg. the carry will still insta drop just as fast.

Personally i want to see his ult turn into a whirlwind of leaves around a character and have maokai either transfer the dmg to him, or it stops the inc dmg on ONE player by say 30-45% and then if he pops it it will do 5/10% of all dmg reduced in an AoE around the target you casted it on.

Now i prefer the transfer, as it could be abused with a real tanky champion. But you get my point.