Vengeful Maelstrom Remake

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Optimus PrimeRib

04-15-2011

I am an avid Maokai player and i love his kit and his artwork everything about him.
But the one aspect that prevents him from becoming viable is his Ultimate.

Maokai's ultimate "Vengeful Maelstrom" suffers from multiple "Game Design Anti-Patters"
(see http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=293417)
making it impossible for a player to use his ultimate at peak potential.

(I'm not going to touch on the fact that vengeful Maelstrom is a small AOE that 10 champions can barely fit into to fight, placing it correctly is incredibly difficult but doable.)

If you look at what Maokai does, it becomes abundantly clear that it is impossible to use his Ultimate correctly to its best potential

Vengeful Maelstrom has two function,
1: shield team with large AOE damage reduction,
2: large AOE nuke.

You have only a few options.
1: leave buff on for entire fight. no optimization loss of 500+ aoe damage
2: Activate damage mid teamfight. no optimization team exposed to greater damage for remainder of fight.
3: Leave buff on for entire fight, enemy team stays inside for entire duration, activate and get penta kill. No Optimization because you live in fantasy land.

No matter how good you are you cannot use vengeful maelstrom correctly, whatever choice you decide on, your team will always feel you should have done the other.
Teammate dies: why didnt you activate Maelstrom to help kill them before i died?
Teammate dies: why did you activate Maelstrom, now i'm dead because i lost the damage reducing buff.

No other tanks or supports suffer from this issue with thier Ultimates.
Rammus: rolls into fight and makes a earthquake > GJ Rammus
Malphite: Unstoppable force enemy when they are clumped together then dbuff their Attack speed > GJ Malphite
Shen: teleport to save carry > GJ shen
Zilean: randomly give bells to carry midfight > GJ Zil
Soraka: people weak? i heal them all > GJ Sora
Amumu: peaple are all around me, start crying > GJ Mummy
Janna: Team weak and getting overwhelmed? Reset Battle > GJ Janna
Galio: Taunt Team when clumped > GJ Galio
and so on.

Maokai is the only Tank/Support that can NEVER function up to his potential, and until his ultimate is changed he will always be a sub-par pick.

Alternate ideas are abundant to boot.
1: Damage aspect hits first
2: Maelstrom is now a damaging AOE over time (like anivia)
3: AOE centered around Maokai
4: Maelstrom gives a slow effect that helps keep enemies in the circle.
5: Remove / lessen damage aspect and scale damage mitigation up.
6: Allow it to reduce damage from towers.
7: Damage aspect is converted to heal for allies.

And im sure 5 min of spitballing with the design team could come up with dozens of other great ideas.

So where do we go from here Riot?

Chaldyth the Axe

04-15-2011

Add a 20% slow to his ult, up the mana cost, up cooldown by 10-15 seconds.

Problem fixed.

Hire me Riot?

-

Yugi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-15-2011

._.

sdjaks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-15-2011

Maokai's benefits aren't as readily seen as other tanks, but people know.

Aqualisk

04-15-2011

Please don't change the positioning. If it was centered around Maokai you would have to stand in the back with your ranged.

Teething

04-15-2011

Give it a couple more months. Maokai is already strong with the decent buffs he's been given. Once people get used to his ult, it will be used to great effect.

ShrikeTheAvatar

04-15-2011

I agree with this. I always feel like I'm stuck between wanting to keep it on as long as possible and feeling like I should turn it off sooner than necessary in order to do that ending damage.

It should do one or the other - or, if it does have damage, lessen it and have it be dealt initially and then increase the damage mitigation.

Maybe they could have the damage reduction increase based on how many enemy/ally champs are in the ring?

Ursalgodon

04-15-2011

His ult is amazing, and I really don't have much problem using it well... Place it on the carries until the assassins use their burst, then activate the damage while they're still inside.

CrusherKawajiri

04-15-2011

Played him, liked him. Ult was hard to use for dmg-dealing purposes though, so I agree with this post.

mistermoo

04-15-2011

I respectfully disagree. You are correct that it is impossible to perfectly optimize his ult in realistic scenarios. However, I think the choice that is required of the player in choosing whether or not to cancel it at any given time is some of the best choice-driven skill in this game. I'd prefer to keep it as is than make it like Rammus where it's just ridiculously easy to use (ie get in middle of group -> press R).