Gangplank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lynxion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2010

I've recently bought Gangplank and I own with him, but my build is so different than the builds guides tell me to use. My standard build is: 3 Avarice Blades -> Mercury's Treads -> Sword of Occult -> Infinity Edge, I then begin to sell my first Avarice for a Trinity Force ( Phage ASAP ) and the other two for two more Infinity Edges. I feel like I'm doing something wrong, but I always do pretty well with Gangplank. My rune build ( Which is like 20% finished ) is Crit Damage and my Masteries are 21/0/3.

RHINO Mk II

02-25-2010

Multiple infinity edges are not cost effective. Sure, they provide both stats that you want in a significant amount, but you'd be better off with a high damage item such as black cleaver or bloodthirster and a phantom dancer. Spend the additional thousand gold or so on getting elixirs for the rest of the game.

wildfire393

02-25-2010

A couple of things about your build:

1) Three avarice blades is too many. Especially if you're putting off even the first level of boots until after them. I would suggest getting at most two Avarice Blades. If you really want more crit chance before starting to pick up Attack Damage, I'd suggest just grabbing a Cloak of Agility. It'll build into IE shortly, which will actually save you money if you end up selling one of your avarice blades before it would pay itself off (which is about 15 minutes)
2) Sword of the Occult is not really worthwhile. It gives too little per stack to be worth the time, and if you're waiting until after three Av Blades AND the most expensive boots in the game to get it you won't have enough stacks to make a difference by the time you need it. I might possibly suggest Sword of the Occult on Pirate as a first item if you are Runed for Crit Chance, but otherwise it is very meh.
3) This build is LOL expensive. Trinity and IE are two of the most expensive items in the game, and you are suggesting multiple of the latter, alongside the most expensive boots. Even getting three avarice blades early, you will never see all of the pieces of this build.

Other than that, this is an acceptable way of building pirate. Avarice Blades early into IE then a slow (either trinity or FM). If you are going the Trinity route, you might consider starting with Sheen, as it raises your early damage.

So you would go something like.

1) Sapphire + 2 Pots
2) Sheen + basic boots
3) Avarice Blade
4) More avarice blades if game is less than 20 minutes still, advanced boots
5) IE
6) Trinity

Lynxion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2010

Thanks guys, the help was much appreciated.

ZuKii

02-26-2010

No brutalizer?

Lynxion

02-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxion View Post
Thanks guys, the help was much appreciated.
Edit: I tried getting Sword of Occult first, but I failed horribly since I never crit. I'm thinking about getting Avarice Avarice Boots Cloak Occult IE. Also, I'm not sure if 3 IEs ISN'T worth it. I'm losing a good chunk of my damage if I get PD/Blood Thirster.

Krangbot

02-26-2010

Hey Lynx,

I've been maining GP since beta and a lot has changed with the pirate since then but the most effective build for him that I've experienced has been less avarice blades. Here is my build order and brief explanation as to why.

1. Start with meki + 2 hp pots

(meki over regen pendant since early on the most important thing is to last hit creeps AND occasionally pop a shot off vs. a champ your lane partner is focusing) also the extra mana is important to be able to use remove scurvy without worrying about going oom, with meki, you'll have enough for a parr every few seconds even at oom)

2. once you have about 700 gold port back for your philo stone (philo is important in order to be able to unlimited spam parrley on anything and everything ensuring you a massive influx of gold from last hitting a creep every single time parrley is up)

(700 is easy to get quick if you use parr to last hit creeps, NOT champs! Use parr on champs when your parrley is lvl 3+ and you have crit chance items) (the reason you don't use parrley on champs till later is two-fold a. the dmg is not worth wasting it on a champ vs missing the gold from a creep kill and b. Parrley is a PSYCHOLOGICAL TOOL early game. But only if you can get it to crit a good chunk of their life. it doesn't become a reliable source of damage till mid game once you have you crit chance to at least 50%

3. After you have your philo, it is VERY important to now get your boots 1, during this same trip you should also be able to afford your first and only avarice blade.

4. Next trip you should buy NOT ANOTHER AVARICE, instead get an exec calling. Life steal is uber important on pirate since he is a harrasser and will often get plinked at by ranged characters at least once or twice as he goes in for a parrley on that squishy ashe or corki etc. however most lifesteal items are **** for pirate since they give no crit or they give atk spd etc which the pirate does not need AT ALL.

5. Finish boots 2 (I always get Zerk boots and thats the ONLY atk spd pirate will ever need trust me on this one after 100+ games with pirate.)

6. At this point you need to start building your infinity edge ASAP, buy cloak first, followed by whatever other component you can afford (do not hold out for the bf sword! trust me on this, get cloak and then any other component, even the pickaxe adds a ton of dmg on a crit)

7. After you have your main items, this is the part where you have to assess the other teams items and go for
a. more dmg
b. frozen mallet
c. banshees veil
d. phage+more dmg and then finish frozen mallet

The recurring theme after you get your infinity edge is that you will need some survivability, you are very squishy hence the need for either FM or BV. It is rare for a game to occur in which you go full on dmg items. Better to do slightly less dmg but survive the team fight than to get a larger blast in, but die instantly after it.

So to recap:

Item build:

Meki + 2 hp pots
Philo Stone (+gold is nice this early and you need hp/mana regen too)
Boots1
Avarice Blade (+gold is nice this early and you need lifesteal to stay at 100% hp and +crit)
Executioner's Calling (you need crit and you need life steal)
Berserker's Boots
Infinity Edge (Cloak first)

After this its situational

a. Frozen Mallet
b. Bloodthirtster (turns into an extra 275 dmg on your parrley! with the new 110% change)
c. Banshee's Veil (Only if there are serious AP hitters like Annie or Ryze)
d. More straight up damage or Atmas if you got a Frozen Mallet)

My Summ spells are always the same (Teleport + Exhaust)

Teleport (in order to always be farming or defending a tower or pushing a tower that teammates are closing in on)

Exhaust (since you have a natural cleanse, you don't need cleanse or some escape spell, instead a well placed exhaust will guarantee you a kill almost every time the CD is up on exhaust, trust me when I say it turns the tide of battles and always will get you fb with a decent lane partner or solo)

My runes are full crit chance on reds and yellows with CD reduction on blues. I start with 17% crit chance, which turns into about 24% on GP at lvl 1, which REALLY helps when you land that 1/4 parrley on someone at lvls 1-6 for almost half their health! It pretty much forces anyone to blue pill back or ensures a kill.

Sorry for the wall o text, but I have tried many many diff builds and this is the one that I have found to be the most effective. Try to stick with +dmg and +crit and you will be fine with GP. Just remember to play mind games

AND

NEVER STOP FIRING YOUR GUN FTLOG, with a philo you will never run out of mana. In fact, you can sell your philo once you get your infinity edge and still hardly ever run low on mana I guarantee.

Lynxion

02-27-2010

Thank you, that was very informative. What do you think about Critical Damage runes?