[GUIDE] Mordekaiser - Smooth Up In Ya

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DrPlague

02-25-2010

This sounds like a very good way to play Morde.

I've not played an AP build yet, and your description about Rylai's makes perfect sense.

What I HAVE done with Morde though, is awesome!
I've been an assasin, multi laner.

I stacked +crit damage runes, and run speed quints.

First I get +10 damage sword and health pot

NExt trip back I get Sword of Occult (now it's +% crit damage not crit chance anymore).
Boots 1

Then boots +3 and vampiric sceptre.

Bloodthirster, Zeal (upgrading to PD later) and if the game lasts long enough, Inf Edge for godlike Mace of Spade crits 1.4k+ on top of everything else you can do =D )

I tend to be a bit more squishy this way, but you can truly rock out a group fight running in with a metal war cry and dishing out a ton of damage.

Joru

02-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khranz View Post
Why? Because I have rarely, if ever, not gotten a Pet out of a team confrontation,
That's my point, though. If everybody's focusing you and you still get your ghost out, then that focus firing isn't accomplishing anything. Smart players will realize that and not do it, accept your presence as an inevitability, and murder your teammates instead. At that point, stacking mitigation in all six slots stops doing very much for you. Swapping out the last couple of items for, say, Atma's Impaler and Stark's/Bloodthirster for example, would either up your damage enough to draw attention back to you or punish them more for ignoring you, either of which makes you more of a tank, not less (assuming you don't overdo it and die early, which would of course be bad).

Quote:
and saying the pet is all you've got is kinda silly. Mordekaiser's awesomely short cooldowns make up for his lack of serious damage. I understand your concerns, and on ANY OTHER TANK I would absolutely be there with you, but Mordekaiser makes it work because he can stand in the thick of it and spam like crazy. If you go AD you will end up too squishy.

In addition, Children of the Grave is in essence a significant CC in and of itself. Combined with Ignite, many players will run FAR FAR AWAY in the event that Cleanse + Heals aren't doing the job. The idea of a player giving up the ghost (lol) to Mordekaiser's alt is a psychological advantage. Even if the target doesn't die, you've turned the fight into a 5v4 in your favor for 8 seconds, which is a LONG time.
245 damage (BEFORE magic resistance) to one or two champions every 6 seconds isn't very impressive at all at level 18. An extra 200 AoE damage every four seconds from Mace of Spades (also before mitigation) on top of it helps a little, but still probably isn't enough to really swing a fight on its own. Creeping Death could be cast pretty safely from outside the front lines if it came to it, so that doesn't really count.

And I'm not saying that Children of the Grave isn't a great ability, just that straight-out, singleminded maxed mitigation on your gear isn't making the best use of it (or your other skills). You could dial it back a bit and still probably have plenty of survivability to keep yourself alive if you play carefully, and the extra offense you'd be getting in exchange would help you contribute a lot more to the team, especially for that all-important first kill before you have your ghost to rely on.

Khranz

02-26-2010

Well, I'm not going to start arguing this point because my experience counters to what you're saying. I fully understand where you're coming from and like I said... under normal circumstances I would totally agree with you. But I continue to roam team fights, drop AoEs, carry my team, and soak tons of damage. LoL is somewhat of a psychological game, and simply HAVING the highest kill tally on my team, not to mention being an excellent harasser and general pain in the ass, makes me a target... especially when I haven't died. Maybe this isn't so significant at higher ELO, but as I've said before, I'm CONSISTENTLY pitted against enemies of much higher experience than myself, and they still make the mistake of targeting me.

Anyway, a couple things. I experienced my first loss with Mordekaiser... it was very UN-metal. Mordekaiser wept tears of molten metal. I more or less understand WHY I lost. I made a couple stupid mistakes early on... letting a Jax bait me into Morgana and Annie camped in some bushes, and not noticing that Twitch had left his lane (nor was I informed of such) at another juncture. This early faltering was compounded by Mordekaiser's obvious reliance on itemization... which is tough if you're dead. The only time I usually die early is diving for a first blood... which is still a rare death thus far. Live and learn though.

Next up... I've been toying with my build and am trying to find ways of making my MordeTank more bursty so that he not only contributes more damage, but becomes more of a target. In most games, I'm so incredibly effective at soaking damage that I feel like I can sacrifice in that department.

Here are a couple of ideas I've played with.

1) Deathfire Grasp in place of an AR/MR item. With a 60s cooldown, it's basically up every time my Ult is. Perfect to combo with Ignite and Children of the Grave on squishies.

2) Rageblade + Brutalizer. This combo would let Morde spam his abilities faster, and Rageblades boost both his Auto-Attack and ALL his abilities.

3) An AP/CDR build based around Mejai's, Rylai's and Deathfire and Mordekaiser's horrendous AP scaling. :P Spirit Visage may or may not be needed for the CDR anymore depending on runes/masteries which would open a spot up for something tanky. Sadly I can't see this being viable unless Riot boosts his AP scaling. It DOES have the upshot of buffing your Ghost Pet somewhat significantly... probably closing in on an extra 10% extra stats.

I'm not beyond modifying/optimizing my build, but I absolutely believe a MordeTank is viable. Even one with little to no DPS investment.

Doncarlos

02-26-2010

I really don't know what ELO I play at, but I'm guessing it's low-mid. I bought Morde the day he came out and I had success with doing the following:

I start with regrowth pendant, this builds into Force of Nature as my first item(usually get rank 1 boots before i finish it off) hear me out, getting the regrowths/FoN early lets be very agressive and spam siphon to harass during the early game where I find Morde's abilities to really shine. I will try leveling up creeping death as my second priority and see how that goes, I was doing MoS after siphon and it was alright. So after FoN, relevant boots either Tabi or Merc's I farm for bloodthirster to give him some oomph that his auto attack needs to make him more of a presence in team fights. After these items I would adjust and build what I needed, usually a thornmail/sunfire cape, whatever seemed appropriate.

Now I really am not sure how this would perform in the higher ELO matches, but as long as you aren't against 5 physical champs you are really durable with the magic resist/health regen that FoN/treads gives you, and against melee you have creeping death as a band-aid. I can also stay in lane for a long time before I need to go back thanks to regrowths. my runes and masteries are all effed up though, I currently have AtkS in red and quints, dodge in yellow, and CDR in blue, but I'm sure someone smarter than me could figure out a better configuration. As for masteries I'm 16/3/3 for Mord, taking the magic resist and health/mana regen in defense/utility.

Wakim

02-27-2010

This guide isn't very good.

EnronTheGreat

02-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joru View Post
Why? Why would you be focus fired? Your personal damage is negligible and you don't alter the flow of a fight in any particularly significant way, not having the disables that tanks like Alistar or Cho'gath do. The only reason the enemy cares if you're alive or dead is because your ghost will be doing good damage if you got one from a suitable target. But if you go for a pure tank build like this one, they'll never kill you before Children of the Grave has done its work, and even if they get close, you can just turn around and exit the fight entirely, leaving the ghost behind to fight on its own. A good team will know this and just not bother attacking you, denying you the Children of the Grave assist with cleanses or escape mechanisms if they can and maybe CCing the ghost, but otherwise pretending you aren't there and putting all that health and armor to waste.

That being the case, it seems like you might as well build for more damage and just play cautiously. If the ghost's damage is going to be your only real contribution, you might as well make the most of it by having a nice high damage stat for it to inherit, while being able to contribute decent personal damage when it's safe to do so. Besides, if you really want to draw damage away from your team, it's better to make it look like they can kill you with just a few tank items when they probably can't rather than making it obvious that attacking you is a waste of time.
This guide is pretty close to how I play baring a few differences...

If they ignore you, GOOD. You will do quite a bit of damage with all of your extremely spammable spells. Also, cleanse has a cooldown no? The way I use his ult, I pop it the SPLIT second they are about to die. There is no rule for how long it has to be on the target. You are acting like its Mord vs the entire enemy team... you do have teammates as well, who have CC's and stuns they will most likely blow cleanse on (IF they have it..) LOL @ cc'ing the pet...if they CC the pet, a more dangerous target (you or your ally will NOT be cc'd... so mission acomplished, right? Also, the pet does a very dangerous amount of damage and can dramatically swing team fights. If Someone in the fight (who most likely will NOT have cleanse) drops low on hp, ignite + children will seal the deal. It has a huge gigantic range for a reason imo.

Khranz

02-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakim View Post
This guide isn't very good.
Constructive criticisms means pointing out specific flaws so that they can be rectified...

Do you disagree with my item build? Did I not go into enough detail in various areas? Did I leave out specific topics? Or are you just a troll? I'd rather listen to Joru tell me how worthless a pure tank build is than someone just tell me my guide "isn't very good". While Joru disagrees with my build, at least he's very specific as to why.

If I feel so inclined to write up any future Champion guides, I would like to know what my initial failings were.

Khranz

02-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnronTheGreat View Post
This guide is pretty close to how I play baring a few differences...

If they ignore you, GOOD. You will do quite a bit of damage with all of your extremely spammable spells. Also, cleanse has a cooldown no? The way I use his ult, I pop it the SPLIT second they are about to die. There is no rule for how long it has to be on the target. You are acting like its Mord vs the entire enemy team... you do have teammates as well, who have CC's and stuns they will most likely blow cleanse on (IF they have it..) LOL @ cc'ing the pet...if they CC the pet, a more dangerous target (you or your ally will NOT be cc'd... so mission acomplished, right? Also, the pet does a very dangerous amount of damage and can dramatically swing team fights. If Someone in the fight (who most likely will NOT have cleanse) drops low on hp, ignite + children will seal the deal. It has a huge gigantic range for a reason imo.
All good points. And also I try to give my Ult as little time to be cleansed as possible in most circumstances. The only other time I might throw it on for damage is to take out a runner with Ult + Ignite... but ONLY if I think it'll be enough to bring em down.

My pets usually have more HP than me, and certainly more straight attack damage, so I fail to see why in other threads people complain about squishy pets. My pets tank turrets HARD and do a lot of damage in the process. Rammus pets can be fun because they're incredibly tough, but my favorite are ranged pets.

MrRumble

02-27-2010

Quote:
All good points. And also I try to give my Ult as little time to be cleansed as possible in most circumstances. The only other time I might throw it on for damage is to take out a runner with Ult + Ignite... but ONLY if I think it'll be enough to bring em down.

My pets usually have more HP than me, and certainly more straight attack damage, so I fail to see why in other threads people complain about squishy pets. My pets tank turrets HARD and do a lot of damage in the process. Rammus pets can be fun because they're incredibly tough, but my favorite are ranged pets.

this guide is legit. I like it.