What is an AD (or 80?) Carry?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

taeuk

04-12-2011

Can any one elaborately explain to me what an AD or 80 carry is? My friend was saying something about 80 base damage but I want to know exactly what it is.

Enigmaticien

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-12-2011

Ad means Attack damage.
Your friend said 80 base damage, which is probably the base damage of a character.
But I cannot tell which character it is.

YokoDervenOmega

04-12-2011

Well AD stands for Attack Damage, and an AD carry would mean that whoever is playing would buy items with large Attack Damage, like the B.F. Sword for example. (Just like how an AP - Ability Power carry would buy items with high amounts of ability power, like the Needlessly Large Rod.

However buying defensive items are important too, because if you ONLY buy AD or AP, your champ tends to be squishy. And the term "squishy" pretty much means that they can die really fast because they have no defensive items.

If someone has 80 base damage, that's the amount of damage someone will deal to their opponent when they start the game. However it's EXTREMELY important to know that whatever your base damage is, that will NEVER be the amount of health your opponent will lose. Every champ has Magic Resist (MR) and Armor, which can reduce the amount of damage they receive from an enemy. But then there are certain items that give Magic Penetration (MP) and Armor Piercing, which can bypass some MR and Armor.

I know the last bit sounds confusing but after you play the game more you'll get the hang of it.

taeuk

04-12-2011

Thanks! i learned a lot

The Star of Hope

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-13-2011

Carry - a champion that may start weaker in the early game but scales well with gold / items. Often you want to help your teams carry get gold, perhaps by putting them in a solo lane (where they can get more gold /xp) or letting them last hit when double-laning, or just by allowing them to get the killing blow on an enemy champion who is unable to escape (rather than taking it for yourself). A carry that gets a lot of gold can be devastating and "carry" your team later in a game.

AD - Attack Damage, many champions who rely on their right click auto attacks to deal most of their damage (or who have skills that deal bonus damage based on their Attack Damage) will raise this stats.

AD Carry - Probably the most common type of carry, as Attack Damage is multiplied by both Critical Chance and Attack Speed which leads to high damage per second from right click auto attacks when well equipped.

Kyoko Sakura

04-13-2011

AD Carry- Champion that scales extremely well with items, especially those revolving around auto attack and skills that scale/revolve around auto attack.

Example- Tristana- As Tristana levels, her auto attack range increases. Her Q gives her insane amounts of attack speed for a short time and she is extremely safe via Rocket Jump and Ultimate.

Bad example- Morgana- Morgana has extremely short range and bad attack animation. Her skills do not give attack speed, range, more damage for a short time, etc. Also, they do not scale with AD.

Misconceptions of AD Carries
Nasus- Lifesteal passive + AD scaling Q does not necessarily mean that you stack bloodthirsters on him.

Janna- 50 damage shield= much better on your ranged carry that has a steroid skill.