Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

RE: Queue-dodging penalties

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pendragon

Director of Player Experience

Follow RiotPendragon on Twitter

02-23-2010

Quote:
good luck making it in high elo. I'd love to see a team of 5 phys-dps carries try to take on a balanced team in high tier play. One person doesn't make a team, and even if each player's good, bad team makeup still loses games.
I'm high Elo, and I don't care what people pick.

Checkmate!

D Wills

02-23-2010

Quote:
Rumination:
I can say with almost absolute certainty that the vast majority of people who play LoL have better things to do than to sit down and log on to their accounts for the sole purpose of joining a game and then clicking the "x" and thinking *Hur Hur, ah just dodged a Q Dur Hur Hur.*

EDIT: spelling error

If the community of LoL has better things to do, then why not do them in the short 3-10 minute wait?

Seriously, this is such a minimal amount of time, quit complaining. Running into queue dodgers for 6-7 games in a row really is annoying (which seems to be happening more nowadays).

If people can't figure out what to do with 3-10 minutes of extra time, there's something wrong with you.

Milskidasith

02-23-2010

Quote:
Pendragon:
Longer than you'd think when we have a million players

A million downloads, wasn't it? How many matches do you have a day, because I'm rather doubtful every person who tried the game plays every day.

Even then, I don't see how your policy of "make only the people who know of our asinine reporting system by getting told about it on the forums will report people" makes it any better; a simple program to CTRL + F the chatlogs for words such as triple asterisk, quadruple asterisk, quintuple asterisk, etc. would mean that you need very little employees to actually read through the logs besides those specific parts. You alone have probably read quite a few chatlogs worth of text just responding to my posts, judging by my average casual game where most people hardly say anything.

EDIT: Still waiting on the Demigod response. :P

EDIT EDIT: Missed the response, this thread is growing too fast. They had 5+ player teams on each side. It depended on the map. The 5v5 maps were balanced pretty well, as was the one 3v3 map (can't remember the name, cataract?) while the 2v2 map and a couple of the other 3v3 maps were fairly unbalanced, and I don't recall anybody ever really playing the 4v4 maps. Plus, they had full auto matchmaking for ranked matches.

Zizzefex

02-23-2010

I wouldnt mind the dodge penalty if ranked play was implemented.... and more importantly solo queue ranked play (ie not mixed with premades)......

But there's no ranked play yet. Not only that, you can't see the enemy teams champs (I wouldn't mind taking on super weak ass champs if I saw super weak ones on the other side).

Raygr

02-23-2010

Geez, I'm sorry Givin but you sound like an self important. Give me my dues type of person. Cynical, Sarcastic and just all around venom. Honestly this has been a problem for way too long. Hell I personally don't see how this became a problem. Those who Queue dodge takes the penalty. Skips out on requeuing with the same people who are looking for a group (Which has happen.) as a matter of fact...most queue dodgers don't even voice there concern...it always seems like it's about there wants. What No tank? I don't want to tank. You all should tank for me*Queue dodge* ....of course this is said in body language instead of chat so no one can switch. What? No one is using the team of Twitch Ashe blah blah blah my prefer set up. *Queue dodge.* Argh there's a eve, gargas,warwick.*Queuedodge* ...well okay that one I can't stay mad at but at the same time. Take your small penalty as for the most part it's keeping you from Re queueing from the same crazy group. Honestly I can't see how Riot goes through this. They have one of the most active devs i've seen for a game yet...the forums... *Shakes head* Edit: Why the heck is the chat closing my paragraphs >_>. *Yeah does more lurking then posting*

PrawnWonton

02-23-2010

Quote:
Pendragon:
Haven't played it so I can't comment, but I don't recall 5+ person teams (a requirement). I also thought they used p2p game hosting w/ lobbies (and game hosts), and not full-auto matchmaking.

They have an auto-queue, or lobbies, depending what you want. Also, teams are 5+.

Haven't played it in ages. That might change, however.

Additionally, back to queue dodging reasons, you say just go ahead and dodge and suck it up and take the penalty. What are we supposed to do when our premade joins the queue, then magically not everyone makes it into the game. Happens quite frequently, actually. I has happened to me at least once every day last week when I only queued with 1 other person.

So, our premade gets together, joins the queue, for some reason only 4 people make it in, now we to suffer a time penalty due to another factor that is 100% outside of our control. Fantastic.

TeemoIsHeart

02-23-2010

Quote:
Pendragon:
Requiring a little bit of effort means we also take reports more seriously, because we get less harassment spam.

I'm one of the biggest supporters of queue dodging penalties around but even I have to question this. Even now when queue dodging is as easy as alt + f4 you see Clarity/Revive Mundos.

Now add in the 3 minute penalty (10 minutes the second time and with the way this is going that may not be a stretch) and you could begin seeing this very, very often. Sure, you can talk about temp bans or hell even perma bans (Which I'm guessing would require occurrence after occurrence of such behavior) it's possible this type of behavior could start being seen quite a bit, in fact I believe it could be seen as often as queue dodging happens now. Which will only lead to people playing chicken to see who takes the 3 minute and eventually 10 minute queue penalties to avoid ******y team mate trying to grief you just because he didn't get the Champion he likes. Oh, you can believe if the game starts with him having that gimp combo he will almost assuredly feed on purpose, if nothing else you have a much weaker team due to it.

Without an easier method of reporting or some shared ignore list where you can ignore all accounts associated with a certain e-mail and not be paired with the account they were using at that time or any accounts they make in the future this seems a bit iffy.

So this whole post isn't negative, I very much appreciate your efforts to neutralize queue dodging and you realizing that sitting through dodge after dodge and it taking up to 30 minutes to get into a game is a problem. Good work and thanks.

Pendragon

Director of Player Experience

Follow RiotPendragon on Twitter

02-23-2010

Quote:
A million downloads, wasn't it? How many matches do you have a day, because I'm rather doubtful every person who tried the game plays every day.

Not getting into exact numbers, but given that the forums have xx,xxx posts on active days, you can assume that creating a system that's TOO easy to report people might create a LOT of manual overhead. That being said, we DO have plans to create expanded reporting functionality (as I believe I've already said in this thread somewhere) regardlesss of the manual work it will create.

Quote:
EDIT: Still waiting on the Demigod response. :P
Read up, already gave you one

The SHP

02-23-2010

Quote:
Pendragon:
I'm high Elo, and I don't care what people pick.

Checkmate!

oh don't get me wrong, for the most part i don't care who people pick either. I'm not one of those people that dodges just from seeing warwick or evelyn. My point was just that picking whoever you want and believing everything will be fine regardless of whoever everyone picks is kinda naive.

And i'm higher Elo :P (unless you've gone up a few hundred points in the last month or so)

Gaeb

Recruiter

02-23-2010

People are whining about this? Fail.

When you queue-dodge, you impact 9 other people (not to mention the servers) ... if anything, you should be paying them IP for your queue-dodge.

I have queue-dodged a handful of times in ~300 games across several accounts, and I won't say I never will in the future, but I can definitely agree that a penalty is appropriate.