L0CUST on his Tier List

12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Contriving StyLe

The Council

02-22-2010

I posted this in my Tier List, but that thread is pretty massive, and because my ego isn't quite high enough.. I figured I would make a post about my own List so here it is! (cleaned up a bit)

It appears some people are taking my tier list the wrong way. A champion placed higher is not necessarily a better pick than a lower tiered champion. You take a champion for what that champion brings to the team, both good and bad qualities.

Judging the placement of said champions comes from experience.. and as many people have noticed, I constantly update my list because I learn a bit more about every character every time I see them in a game.. no matter how poorly or godly that character was played.

Mathematically all the champions sound great, but in practice some are just really bad. For example, Evelynn, her damage output and her ultimate sounds like they would be amazing together.. especially when combined with stealth.. in practice, it just doesn't work out that way. This is where the Tiers Come In

**note: to ease reading.. I will compare Corki (currently rated significantly higher) and Tristana as carries, but this example applies to all champions and types of champions (maybe not Gragas)**

I am not saying Tristana is bad because she is lower on the list than Corki, or that you auto-lose if the other team picks Corki and you pick Tristana.. I am simply stating that Corki fits the way the game is currently being played better, generally.

As many of you know, there are a number of things Tristana does better.. and she can do some stuff that Corki simply can't do. Tier lists are not the end all, they are just there to give an idea of the strength of each character. I initially made the list to force myself to evaluate each champion on a very broad scale, and decided to post it because I figured quite a few people would be interested in which champions are considered "top tier" since there are no replays, currently..

Quickly going over what Tristana can and can't do compared to Corki:

• Tristana can not AoE down a team
  • Tristana can punt away Fiddlesticks / Nunu or what have you
  • She can do Baron and Dragon faster towards the end game
  • She can not give vision to invisible wards / champions
  • She can hop around and gank a bit better than Corki
  • She can not get a Catalyst or Phage early and plan on doing high damage
  • She can push towers faster than almost every other champion
  • She can not solo red rune early/quickly and go ganking
  • She can pick apart towers / champions at range with her auto attack
  • yada yada yada

Play the game to your set of champion's strengths. Repeat and Expand! Play the game to both your own champion's strengths and your teammates', and exploit the weaknesses of the enemy team's composition.

The list is just my interpretation of which champions have "better" strengths to play with, and fewer weaknesses the other team can take advantage of. I am not saying playing Tristana is a bad choice when Corki is available.. the two characters play very differently for filling the same role as carry. I am simply stating that Tristana's strengths probably aren't as strong/versatile as the champions listed before her, and/or her weaknesses might be too easy to take advantage of. Just a few: she really only has single target damage, she needs to farm up items, she can't jungle too quickly early on (unlike many other carries), and she has no way to hold people in place.

However, this is a Team Game. If her team can make up for her weaknesses and take advantage of her strengths, Tristana might be the best choice for said team's carry. (probably not since Twisted Fate is still around, Anyways..)

For Example: Corki pretty much sucks as a side lane carry, but Tristana is a pretty solid side lane carry since she really just relies on gold to get her damage up, and not so much on levels (unlike Corki who needs both). Perhaps her team's plan is to drag the game out and have two strong carries to dominate the late game. Awesome, take Card Master middle and Tristana in a side lane with Alistar, and let her farm up some items quick.

hope that clears things up

-L0CUST

FK Coffee

02-22-2010

Something that sort of prevents tiers from becoming accepted as the obviously present and useful thing that they are is people's lack of understanding of what they really mean. This is why people will always rebut you with things like "Look at this game where I did well" or "I destroy everyone with champion X". As soon as people begin to understand that skill is still an important factor even when tiers are considered, and that different tiers would be applicable when any number of variables are applied, it will be a lot easier to have a tier list that is accepted by the general community.

Faro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2010

sticky?

SlyGoat

02-22-2010

I don't know what to say. It's a good post, but uh. Do you really need to make a second thread about a previous thread you made, dealing with virtually the same topic? Why not just edit this into the OP of your tier list?

JunkRamen

02-22-2010

You failed me. You still haven't defined what a tier list is and isn't, what you mean by "fairly worthless," and why there's a difference between playing someone like Teemo in casuals vs playing Teemo when there's money on the line.

Micar

02-22-2010

You should have more of these explanations. I always go mid as trist and i never really realised she is a much more item based champ compared to others, i mean i did realise but i just always went mid with her because i saw her as a lategame carry so mid as important. But having someone baby sit her could be more useful then stealing mid from TF or ashe.

Cool Hoowip

02-22-2010

who r u? what is this tier list? why r u so inclinded to make a new useless thread? yes your yellow. grats. anything else?

Miyo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2010

dude you troll and he has more post then you I bet. He is a VIP compared to you so troll on some worthless post and stay off the good ones

Rokudan

The Council

02-22-2010

Mundo is still better than you say~

Merovinge

02-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micar View Post
You should have more of these explanations. I always go mid as trist and i never really realised she is a much more item based champ compared to others, i mean i did realise but i just always went mid with her because i saw her as a lategame carry so mid as important. But having someone baby sit her could be more useful then stealing mid from TF or ashe.
You go mid with trist if you are going to get a favorable match, as getting a kill or FB early game is worth so much gold and can really accelerate your game. She is definitely one of the best solo mids, but some matchups are much better than others. If you don't think you can get a kill, better to have a TF/Annie mid and babysit the trist.

12345 ... 8