[Guide] Udyr - King of the Jungle

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

02-22-2010

1. Introduction:
Hi guys, I've been playing LoL since about October and it's really been my game of choice over the last couple of months. That being said, I've played every champion out there, and I've done well and not-so well but at the end of the day I always go back to Udyr. Theres something about his skills that are relaxing to me (no left clicking) and he has a lot of power, in my humble opinion if played right. I hope you guys enjoy this guide, as it seems to work quite well for me in my mid-ELO bracket.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Udyr's Skills:
Monkey's Agility(Passive)
Udyr's attack speed and chance to dodge are increased (15%/6%) each time he switches forms for a short duration. This effect can stack.

This is a great little passive for Udyr since he is such a melee dependent fighter. It used to be better when the attack speed was multiplicative but that was borderline imbalanced. Basically this encourages what you should be doing anyhow, stance swapping.

Tiger Stance
Activation - Udyr's next attack will deal a high amount of damage over 2 seconds (based on his attack damage).
Persistent Effect - Udyr's attack speed is passively increased. In addition, Udyr splits his attacks into 3 lightning fast hits.

Some people will swear by this stance but I do not. I have experimented with many builds utilizing tiger stance, but I have always found that points are better spent in other stances. One thing tiger does well is DPS but it is so rare that you and an opponent will stand beside each other trading blows. I find that most of the time I am chasing or just running around stunning champs in bear mode. The only redeeming feature of tiger is the proc effect which is good to prepare if you are 18 and running into battle.

Turtle Stance
Activation - Udyr gains a temporary shield that absorbs damage.
Persistent Effect - Udyr's attacks cannot crit, but he restores his health and mana equivalent to a percentage of his damage dealt.

Turtle is the bread and to phoenix stance's butter. The mana steal is pretty paltry but the lifesteal and shield can be invaluable. Whether you are jungling, running from a turret, or preparing for an incoming spell (I love to taunt Twisted Fates by running into their gold card with turtle up) the turtle shield is great. When you have it leveled above 3 it will pretty much block a full tower hit and still have a little left over. Also switching between turtle and bear when running blocks a lot of incoming damage, annoying your chasers and giving your team more time to reinforce you.

Bear Stance
Activation - Udyr gains a large movement speed increase for a short duration.
Persistent Effect - Udyr's attacks stun his target for 1 second. This effect cannot occur on the same target for several seconds.

Bear is the king of ganks, teamfights and especially chasing/running away. You should never be in bear for more than a couple seconds as you stun the entire enemy team or cycle between bear and turtle while running. The movespeed is invaluable and its a natural chasing skill.

Phoenix Stance
Activation - Udyr sends out pulsing waves of fire dealing damage to nearby foes for 5 seconds and has increased ability power and damage.
Persistent Effect - Every third attack, Udyr engulfs enemies in front him in flame.

This is your goto damage dealing monster. Crucial in jungling, creeping and especially teamfights phoenix stance is all about offense. Activate this as often as possible in fights to get maximum damage off from the pulsing waves. If someone is about to get away with a sliver of health, phoenix waves can also finish them off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Summoner's Spells:

Smite - Key for jungling, killing large minions, stealing neutrals (baron, dragon, golem, lizard) and godforbid Heimer's turrets or Mr. Tibbers. The extra 5 gold you get from your masteries everytime you use it will help you buy your starting items QUICK.
Ghost - You don't have to use ghost, but I like it. I use it early game to get back to the field if buying, because the longer you are away from battle, the more exp and gold you miss out on and also to chase/run away. I would also accept teleport or flash for this build, but I like the versatility of ghost personally.

4. Masteries:

9 Offense (with a point in Smite)
21 Utility

My reasoning for this is that I benefit from the lower cooldowns and movespeed greatly as Udyr and as long as I can catch someone I will have no problem finishing them off. This also negates the need for defense, as running away is quicker and easier as well. Also, the more starting mana you have, the better.

5. Runes:

Red - Crit Chance
Yellow - Base Health
Blue - Base Mana
Purple - Attack Speed

This is probably a silly build but I use it for all of my melee champs and I prefer to buy new champions so I have not had enough IP to buy better runes. Suggestions are always welcome. Starting mana is great for Udyr however because it allows you 1 or 2 more stance swaps for the first few levels ensuring staying power and finishing off creep camps.

6. Skill build:

1. Phoenix [R] 1/5
2. Turtle [W] 1/5
3. [R] 2/5
4. [W] 2/5
5. [R] 3/5 - At around this point you should have your Razors and should be killing the dragon.
6. [W] 3/5
7. Bear [E] 1/5

From here you can start to mix things up and distribute points according to need. If you find you are chasing a lot of champs and ganking with your team, bear points are a must for the lowered mana cost and move speed increase. If your team is on the defensive, keep levelling up turtle and phoenix to help push back creeps and team fight.

16-18. Tiger [Q] 1/5-3/5

7. Items:

2 Red Potions
Cloth Armor
->Long Sword
-->Madred's Razors
Mercury's Treads
Sheen
Guinsoo's Rageblade
Warmog's Armor
(at this point you can either upgrade to Madred's Bloodrazor if you are facing a lot of high HP champs or continue buying different items and selling the Razors when you are full)
The Bloodthirster
Force of Nature

This build is primarily about survivability. With the recent change to Guinsoo's you no longer need to buy any attack speed items, since you will always be changing stances, hence keeping your attack speed waaaay up. The added AP is also a nice bonus for your turtle shield and phoenix flames. Normally a game will be over by the time you get your Warmog's.

8. Gameplay:

Early Game
Head to the creep camp opposite of the wraith's (same side as lizard spawn) and begin by pounding on the golems that usually spawn there. Smite and phoenix will make quick work of them. Chug a potion as you head to wraith camp and proceed to pound them as well, activating phoenix as needed. You will be around level 2 at this point and low on health, so chug another potion and head to the creep camp on the opposite side and start pounding on the wolves. Your smite should be back up by now so use that for the added 5 gold. When these camps are clear, B back and buy your long sword. Now head out back into the jungles and by the time you get to your first location, the neutrals should have respawned. Do this route again until you get the 285 gold needed to finish Razor's and B again. Now pop ghost and run to the golem (you should be around level 4) and proceed to beat on him. Run over to lizard and obtain this buff as well, and with that you are on your way to the dragon. Destroy the dragon with your new buffs and smite. Creep a little more until you have enough to buy your Merc's Treads.

Middle Game
Now that you have movespeed and CC reduction, you are a ganking machine. The off-lane that solo'd could probably use your help around now so go there first and ping your target. By this time you should have 1 point in Bear, so run out there and rapeface. Help lanes defend and jungle in the downtime. Also, always grab dragon when it spawns. Keep an eye on your gold count as well, because as soon as you have enough for your next item, find time to B back and buy it (usually Sheen and then pickaxe->Guinsoo's). DO NOT DO THIS WHEN YOUR TEAMMATES NEED YOU. If there is a large push going on or team fights brewing do not ever leave your team high and dry. Continue in this fashion until the 3 outer towers are down.

Late Game
By now you should have your Guinsoo's up and 5 v 5 fights are popping off all across the board. Map awareness is key at this point. Know where your enemies are, so you know when it is and isn't safe to push. Always be aware if enemies are ganging up on your allies so you can rush over there to help. Ghost and Bear make lane switching a breeze. Believe me, Udyr is a godsend to allies being chased with Bear stance. Run in and stun both of your assailants, allowing your ally to escape. If you ever get caught off guard, run away while spamming Bear and Turtle while pinging to indicate your peril. In team fights your priorities are to Bear stun their heavy damage dealers first, allowing your team to focus them down and from there constantly switch back to Phoenix for massive damage. Udyr dominates 1 v 1's at this point and most 2 v 1's even but that doesn't give you an excuse to leave your team hanging. By this time you should be finishing up your Warmog's and the other team will be surrendering to your total domination.

Thank you for reading all the way through my guide and have fun with your new found power.