Looking for a new character, suggestions?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DMG Kaiser

02-22-2010

I play nidalee and ashe, not extensively since i'm more of a casual player, but I'm looking to pick up a decent tanking character and I've narrowed my choices down to either Alistar or Malphite.

Anyone care to lend a hand in helping me choose, if it helps I play with sivir, ashe, sion, and singed normally. The person playing singed is hoping to pick up jax after the patch, thus i'm trying to grab us a replacement tank.

Thanks in advance.

Lajkonik521

02-22-2010

So... Since you are looking for a REAL tank, you should take Alistar. He is a nice tower pusher + he is capable of dealing a nice dmg. However, personally I would take Malphite cuz it is more a mage than a tank and he fits me more. Just try out which fits u better, but my choice would me Malphite.

DMG Kaiser

02-22-2010

So if i choose malphite, how should i start out? I'll end up reading all the guides for both chars eventually, just asking for some personal preference from people

SmecssRaege

02-22-2010

I have, and use both tanks, but i always am more inclined to say malphite is my "go to" tank, i just play alistar for a bit of a change of pace =P

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?p=172109

^^^
That is my malphite guide (from ages ago, but i still use THAT EXACT item build today)
***Use the "Alternate" item build, as there are way less carries than there are casters nowadays...back in beta, most people played carries rather than mages that could carry***

It works EXTREMELY well

31 games played
18Win 13Loss (most losses due to teammates, only 1 has really been me doing poorly)

Kills: 267 (Average of 8.6 kills a game)
Deaths: 80 (Average of 2.6 deaths a game)
Assists: 242 (Average of 7.8 assists a game)

K/D Ratio: 3.3:1

Hope this helps :-)

EvenAfter

02-22-2010

Gotta say that I love me some Malphite. He's become my main as of late after I bought him spur of the moment. He's one of the most variable champs, from dps to tank to AP (though I kinda suck at AP myself), or a hybrid of all of them.

I'll just throw my personal build down real quick, in little detail.

Start with a Ruby Crystal. Second buy is Ninja Tabi. Turn your Ruby into either a Frozen Mallet or a Trinity Force, if you're going tank or dps respectively. Then it depends a lot on the game, but I almost always go Banshee's. After that, for DPS, you can go Phantom Dancer -> Infinity Edge -> Black Cleaver, which gives you some massive damage with a full W skill (70% damage for 6 seconds, plus the first trinity proc). For tank, I like to stack Sunfire Capes. Charge in with your ult, knock some people around and start dealing an extra 150 damage a second as an aoe, soaking up damage all the while.

Be forwarned, Malphite is not a "true tank", like Alistar. His ult is one of the best initiators in the game, and if built right he can be quite respectable, but Alistar is simply better at tanking, flat out.

My 2 cents. Hope it works out for ya.