[Runes] Alistar

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darkling2x

02-22-2010

Yellow: Dodge
Red: Magic Resist
Blue: CDR/ CDR/Lvl
Quints: Static HP

Is what I was going to go for. I have everything except for Red, and Im torn between Armor and Magic Resist.

Comments/Help?

Degini

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2010

Red: Armor Pen (possibly magic pen)
Yellow: Dodge or mana regen/lvl
Blue: CDR or mana regen/lvl or magic reist
Quint: movement speed or flat HP or dodge

If you are going 0/9/21, emphasize dodge

Definately don't put magic resist in red

Darkling2x

02-22-2010

I play him as 0/22/8

Like I said, I have everything except Red, so Im torn on that part .. Why would I get Armor or Magic Pen? Not like Im doing a lot of damage of any kind..

Degini

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2010

Magic pen helps your pulverize for farming, which you should be maxing. However, it doesn't help thaaat much so I don't really go for it.

Armor pen is your all around punching stat, for creeping and for hitting champs. Coupled with sheen (another item you must get every game) and you WILL be doing damage. Further, armor pen reds are commonplace for like half the champs in the game, which makes them an excellent buy.

I prefer mana regen in my blues over CDR so I can avoid needing a chalice. Between that, the magic resist from boots/aegis/banshees, the chalice is really a waste. Even with CDR, you won't get a 3rd pulverize off during a team fight, so why bother.

If you are going to run clarity, a valid summoner spell if you get the mastery, then you can probably swap out mana regen blues for CDR or magic resist.

As a tank, you will already be getting defense items, so massive defense runes aren't really needed. Thus, I should really take magic resist right off the list, and have only CDR or mana regen/lvl for blues. However, magic resist blues are very useful for champs like nidalee so having them around is nice. I would put them in my blues if I wanted to make 1 rune page to fit multiple chars (solo queueing)

Read the following guides for excellent tips/playstyles for Alistair:

Evo's guide: http://www.leaguecraft.com/strategies/guide/652,I'M+GONNA+HEADBUTT+YA!+--+A+selfless+approach+to+Alistar

Bait's guide: http://www.leaguecraft.com/strategie...onic+Stun+Tank

Nicosharp's guide : http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ight=nicosharp

Nicosharp's livestream: www.livestream.com/nicosharp

Darkling2x

02-22-2010

Thanks for the guides, I will most def check them out.

Skills: I usually Do Pulv, Heal, HB, Heal, then Max Pulv > Heal > HB (Obviously Ulti when I can)

Abilities: Cleanse/Flash always

Items: I usually go Soul Shroud > Mobility > Aegis > Banchees and I rarly find myself running low on Mana. Obviously the build can vary based on the opposing team, this is just my general build.

Team: I dont often Solo Queue, although my build doesnt change much when I do. As for team play, I play consistantly with 3 others. We play Alistar (Me), Twisted Fate, Fiddlesticks, Sivir. We've been playing with a 5th as Malph, though Im sure that will change soon.

Any additional comments for me? I suppose it should be noted that (I think) Im fairly high ELO, as Iv resently been playing against several of the previous top 500.

nicosharp

02-22-2010

no right answers to anything, but I still think going 9/0/21 or 0/9/21 is best for masteries - This is so you can take Flash+Ghost. Cleanse is okay, but your R works as a cleanse.
currently I prefer dodge quints/yellows and run 0/9/21
I think red armor pen is best for tower pushing

Tank Alistars win games at my lvl, but the 1 item that will help you get there regardless of your item build focus will be an early sheen. You can do this without sheen, but it is more challenging. If your team does not take advantage of your 1/2 you will have a rough time playing a tank initiator. Also if you do not have nasty spam aoe magic like Volley or Wildcard end-game banshee bubbles make it very hard for you to successfully initiate and shutdown them on the final pushes. I've lost quite a few alistar games recently due to Banshee's Veil and a fail comp of passive backline that will not pop veil's for me before the engage. Alistar loses his effectiveness to push/initiate and harass as dps and ap classes gain lvls and items.

Also with the team comp you are playing there is no doubt you may be higher ELO, That team comp is a little broken right now, as TF is a beast, and you have 3solid tower pushers that just control the pace of the game. I've tanked my rating lately having fun playing other champs and experimenting with builds and playing with semi-decent friends. I've had a lot more fun doing this, but I tend to see a lot more scrubs in my games, and typically on my teams if its not a 5man premade.

Darkling2x

02-23-2010

Alright. I guess its settled in terms of my Red runes. Im going to run Magic Pen. for now, as I already have the runes from my caster page, and will most likely switch to Ar Pen.

I will give your 0/9/21 build a go, and see how i feel about it. I want to keep the def points so I can keep my points in Evasion and Nimbleness. My fear of this build is its less 'tanky' and I will have to deviate from my items which are more support/hp then anything else (Soul Shroud, Frozen Heart, Aegis, Locket, etc) to get more tank-only items with Armor or MR and HP instead of the support of my current build.

Im also going to give you item build a try (Specifically Sheen) when Im solo queieing. See how much of a chance I see in damage, and general farming abilities.

If anyone else has anythingto add to this discussion, feel free to jump in an comment. I like getting other peoples views on how to play this amazing hero.

just call me evo

02-23-2010

First off -- thanks for the shoutout Degini!

I do things a little ass backwards, so far as red runes go.

I do blue -cd/, red atk speed, and (going to) do yellow dodge.

My masteries are 0/9/21, and the reason I do this is as follows -

I find these runes to do double duty for Alistar and Jax(my new interest), and therefore the best investment of my IP.

-cd is obvious for alistar, and yellow is pretty standard. I take dodge chance because I already beef up my armor with frozen heart, and my ult makes me an ubertank anyway. Dodge is going to give me a better return on defense, long term, and will OCCASIONALLY let me luck out of a bad situation. additionally, with the nimbleness mastery I can move that much faster towards where I need to be, which is 75% of my alistar game.

Why attack speed? I'll be the first to admit that it's not ideal, but I like it for two reasons:
1.) alistar is a pretty garbage farmer, but attack speed lets you queue up your next last hit that much faster, and lose less to creep attrition.
2.) alistar is great at knocking down towers, and given his passive, he already deals a ton to it, and i'd rather see him hitting it more often.

I'm not a fan of Magic penetration -- I see myself less of a damage dealer, and more of a passive healing, stunning force, and any damage I do is bonus. If I had to buy reds again, I would probably do Armor pen for towers, but I am not unhappy with an attack speed increase.

On a sidenote - I've changed my alistar guide a good amount. I was inspired by nico to push sheen forward in my build, and while its a bit uncomfortable early on, I seem to be much more dominant.

AutoSponge

02-23-2010

I was struggling with Alistar before I chatted with Nicosharp (thanks again) last month. I currently run 0/9/21 with Red armor pen, Yellow MR/lvl, Blue MR/lvl and Gold quints. I push sheen (buying blue gem and hp pot first).

I have all yellow dodge and as soon as I get some more IP to buy the dodge quints, I'll try switching them out. But right now, between masteries and runes, I don't buy an MR item anymore which saves me a ton of gold/time.

Moredot

02-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSponge View Post
I was struggling with Alistar before I chatted with Nicosharp (thanks again) last month. I currently run 0/9/21 with Red armor pen, Yellow MR/lvl, Blue MR/lvl and Gold quints. I push sheen (buying blue gem and hp pot first).

I have all yellow dodge and as soon as I get some more IP to buy the dodge quints, I'll try switching them out. But right now, between masteries and runes, I don't buy an MR item anymore which saves me a ton of gold/time.
why sheen?

i checked nicosharp's last 2 games as alistar and he didnt have sheen in em