needing advice/tips for Malphite

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

donnyRocks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2010

My 13 game winning streak ended today with a horrible matchup against lvl 30s (i'm lvl 7).
Not sure how a tanky Malphite is viable in high ELO games... but I need help in playing him as such.

Item build against AP heavy team:
- Meki->Chalice
- Merc Threads
- Frozen Heart
- Aegis
- Banshee

Item build against physical heavy team:
- Regrowth -> Phil Stone
- Ninja Tabi
- Frozen Heart
- Aegis
- Thornmail

So those are my builds. Any feedback on them?
Also, is DPS Malphite more of a team asset than a tank Malphite? If so, what would be the optimal itemization?

Thanks in advance

UnknownManner

02-21-2010

Couple turtle shells -> boots (ninja, merc or swiftness depending on oponents) -> veil if they stun heavy -> whatever floats your boat.

Mal isnt as gear dependant as other tank, but ive found a ralais scepter to be pretty ownage on him, makes his ground slam slow their attack + slow them too

Lightwrks

02-21-2010

My malphite starts off with a Doran's Shield and then I build a Catalyst and Boots. I always get Aegis, and the rest of the items depend on the match-up. With some runes and/or utility spec mastery you never need item's like Phil/Chalice. A Malphite with no mana is a useless Malphite, but I get by just fine with some points in utility and a early game catalyst.

Klazzix

02-22-2010

Your builds are just fine, that's what's great about Malphite, you can run almost anything on him. In most situations, HP is really the key stat, then get armor or MR as needed. Giant's Belts, Catalysts will give you that quick boost in HP you need without having to upgrade them.

Cooldown reduction is also important on him since he isn't just that tank, his skills really do acceptable damage so most of the time, I see Frozen Heart as a main stay even if you don't really need the Armor for defense just keep in mind that this item adds a raw 70 damage boost to Ground Slam plus the extra 500 mana.

Also try to stay away from Philo Stone, regen can only be good early game although Chalice is fine since it also provides MR so yeah you can keep that.

Praetor Kamahl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2010

Malphite's weak against balanced teams. He's amazing when you can just stack armor and provide nearly nonstop attack speed debuffs to their team, or amazing when you can ult in and eat up spells nonstop, but it's very hard for him to do both. What I've found works fairly well is to try and counter what you can, a majority of their team, and then build some decent DPS items. Regardless, almost every game you'll want to pick up Glacial Shroud for the CDR, and upgrade it to a FH if they're phys-heavy early on. Doran's Shield is a good starting item on him since health regen is almost always needed if you want to maintain a laning presence, and Regrowth Pendant doesn't turn into anything useful for Malphite. Typically you'll go Shield / Appropriate boots (You'll want rank 3 speed boots if they don't have a lot of stuns, if they're slow-heavy the speed boots are better anyway) / Shroud / Whatever from here. If they've got casters, make a veil. Melee, upgrade to a frozen heart. From this point on you might wanna consider some DPS to maintain a threat. Frozen Mallet is a decent idea, considering it inflates your tankiness by a bit more. A zeal never hurts either, considering it offers the cheapest movement speed increase outside of boots. Just never get Warmog's, it's a terrible tanking item unless your champion already has plenty of health, so it would go nicely with Atma's / Force of Nature. I've played nearly a hundred games as Malphite, running all kinds of builds, and this one is generally the most successful. I just wish Riot would get off their butts and make a recommended build for him, the current one is just Jax's copy / pasted.