Looking at Fiddlesticks, Twisted Fate

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Enigmers

04-07-2011

Hi folks,
I'm a fairly new played (been playing for about two or three weeks now) and have been looking at two champions, Fiddlesticks and Twisted Fate. Both of them are thematically interesting and they both have a bit of crowd control (which I like). Can I get a comparison between the two in terms of how it feels to play either one? I'm debating between buying either one or the other, or saving up a little more IP for Lux (a champion from the first rotation which I really enjoyed using).

Currently, I own Ashe (who doesn't), Tristana (ditto), Sona (Who is easymode support) and Udyr (who is my favourite so far).

Kawako

04-07-2011

I have no idea about twisted fate as he is a 2 gold buff and sometimes a way to show me the enemy champs but that's about it. (I never see the good ones on my team they usually d/c) But fiddles is a fine champ got some nice fear and a silence hits prety nicely his ult is great and he can jungle take mid or go into one of the lanes which makes him pretty versatile.

However I would say save for lux and get good with her because she can be amazing (and better than tf and fiddle imo)

This is just my opinion someone who actually plays tf or fiddle would probably give better advice on them.

Black Hat Rabbit

04-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmers View Post
Hi folks,
I'm a fairly new played (been playing for about two or three weeks now) and have been looking at two champions, Fiddlesticks and Twisted Fate. Both of them are thematically interesting and they both have a bit of crowd control (which I like). Can I get a comparison between the two in terms of how it feels to play either one? I'm debating between buying either one or the other, or saving up a little more IP for Lux (a champion from the first rotation which I really enjoyed using).

Currently, I own Ashe (who doesn't), Tristana (ditto), Sona (Who is easymode support) and Udyr (who is my favourite so far).
Twisted fate doesn't have as much potentional as Fiddlesticks as an AP champion.But AD Twisted Fate is one of my favorites.If you like ability power over attack damage pick fiddlesticks.Otherwise fiddlesticks is harder to use than lux i would say,and personally i would save up for lux

In deails...:

Twisted Fate can annoy opposing team strategy by revealing them and eventually teleport which brings him some mobility,and lategame if built AD he can take down opponents who are away from team in just 2-3 seconds if you land stun before ultimate.He has high range harrass ability and disable ability

Fiddlestick can fear,lifesteal if not interruped and silence,but when it comes to ulti u must be sure u won't get focused,while you are squishy without survavibility items you are extremly fragile since you need to move towards opponents and be in center of action

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

04-07-2011

I would be extremely hesitant buying champions you haven't played before. As you enjoyed Lux, I would vote for saving for her. (You can always play her to earn IP to buy the _next_ champion you enjoy, and eventually you'll have enough to 'waste' on a chance purchase.)

Keep Tier 3 runes in mind, as your IP earning will eventually slow down a bit, and tier 3 runes cost 205/410/820 for a non quintessence, or 515/1025/2050 IP for a quintessence. This takes a bit if you want to play with various builds.

FoRhythm

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-07-2011

Fiddlesticks in general is a bit weird.

His play style is fairly unique and is pretty different compared to other mages. He doesn't have a huge burst like them and I feel is more dependant on the enemy messing up, which hapens less and less as you face better people. I could be completely wrong, but that's what I feel like it is with fiddlesticks (Don't thumbs down me because I'm wrong, this is just what I see.)

Twisted Fate can be played both AD and AP, most people go AD. It takes a bit to master pick a card and when to use the different card types, and I see a lot of new twisted fates using destiny in the wrong place and the wrong time. You also need to learn to use stacked deck to harass correctly early game. He takes more skill to play, but in the long run I think he's more useful than fiddlesticks.

It is based on preference though; you want a challenging to play champ that is more versitile and overall more usefulness to a team or a champ that is unique yet has less use later on.

I think you should pick twisted fate, but that's just me. He's very fun to play and when you master playing him he can be very, very deadly.

If you aren't looking for competitiveness, pick the one you enjoy most. You said you enjoyed lux, and you know you do, so maybe save for her.

I hoped I helped at least a little bit

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

04-07-2011

I think it might be more that Fiddle's play style changes as the skill level of your opponents changes. I can't say exactly what it changes to as I don't play him frequently, but it's definitely not just ult in and win.

IanSavage

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-08-2011

First, I'd say try before you buy. Wait for these champs to come up in a rotatation unless you've got LOTS of IP to spare, as its entirely possible to buy a champ that really doesn't match your personal playstyle, even after hearing descriptions.

With that being said, I'd reccomend TF over Fiddle, or saving for Lux, if you don't mind waiting. Fiddle is an interesting champion, but really relies on the opposing team's lack of attention. The channeling time on his ult is long enough that it's very easy for them to stuff the channel or simply run away if they're not in range for stun, and then you're stuck waiting for quite a long cooldown. And simply put, Fiddle's ult is what defines him as a champion. TF is a generally stronger champ with a great deal of build versatility, awesome cc (as you mentioned), and a really nice ult.

tl;dr -- Lux > TF > Fiddle

Duckybean

04-08-2011

Keep in mind that you can jungle with Fiddlesticks if you are ever interested in trying that playstyle.

Quite the investment if you haven't played them before. They all play so differently.

In videos and on paper, I thought that I would love TF, in game, I found that I fail at landing Yellow Cards and became frustrated. Wish I had tried him before buying.

Fiddle has a lot utility with fear and silence as well as staying power through drain. I suppose those of you saying he does not have any burst have never had a Fiddle blink-ult over a wall and fear you in the middle of it. He's devestating.

Bob of the Snail

04-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoRhythm View Post
Fiddlesticks in general is a bit weird.

His play style is fairly unique and is pretty different compared to other mages. He doesn't have a huge burst like them and I feel is more dependant on the enemy messing up, which hapens less and less as you face better people. I could be completely wrong, but that's what I feel like it is with fiddlesticks (Don't thumbs down me because I'm wrong, this is just what I see.)...
Well personally, I play fiddles and basically as long as you're in range with fear and drain, you probably win a game fairly well.

He's easy to play for new players if you go defensive as your drain work well in healing yourself.

Although if you played Lux and you're good with her then you should save up for her rather than going for a new champ

clerica

04-08-2011

If you like Lux I'd say save for her (I'm currently saving for her too <3), and wait til Fiddles and TF are on rotation so you can try before buying.

I used to main AP TF so I can talk a bit about his role, but I don't play Fiddles so I can't make a comparison. AP TF is played according to the phases in the game. You want him in mid so he can hit 6 as soon as possible for his ult - he makes an extremely good ganker because his ult makes him so mobile. Late game you should have max cdr so gold card (stun) spam should be achieved every ~4 seconds. In teamfights his job is to run in, stun, throw wild cards, run out, repeat. Pre-teamfights he has one of the longests pokes in the game (wild cards), its range is comparable to Nid's spear.. easily pop BVs and wear the enemies down before engaging. For times when your team isn't forcing fights or being forced into fights, TF is amazing at pushing lanes and AP TF actually destroys towers pretty fast (blue card). If you run teleport as a summoner ability, you can push 2 lanes at once, using your ult to escape.

I don't play AD TF because he has an extremely short auto attack range and feels squishier than even Ashe. AP TF shouldn't be the main source of AP damage on your team though, he just offers a ton of utility to the team and I view him kind of as a support role. Your gold cards will enable many kills and save many lives.

That being said, TF has a fairly big learning curve and it takes quite a few games to get used to him.