Unskilled Player

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

odessa

04-07-2011

Hey, so I got some of my friends to start playing, and they are having a lot of fun. But... they are pretty bad, being new and all. I think they've reached the point where they are tired of playing against bots and want to start playing normal games. And one of them was involved in a game where another player was encouraging the other players to report him for being an Unskilled Player. I don't think the other players did, as my friend explained that he was new and that was his first real PvP game. But I'm worried about the rest of my friends getting reported and possibly banned. When I started playing this game, I was completely awful, but the reporting system wasn't around.

Can someone clarify what constitutes a worthy ban for an Unskilled Player? Are there measures to ensure that new players aren't banned? I'd hate to see my friends get banned and hate the game.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

04-07-2011

The 'unskilled player' option is used solely for Riot to try to improve Matchmaking. There will never be a penalty for being 'unskilled.'

Kawako

04-07-2011

Yeah this post comes up all the time since they added it, it's because the matchmaking system sometimes likes to put lower ranking and lower level players in against better ranked and leveled players which really ruins the fun of a game when you get steam rolled. So by reporting players for not being so good lets riot fine tune the matchmaking more so it happens less.

You won't get banned I see different riot staff post about this all the time.

Wbs

04-07-2011

Some advice: make a "smurf" account (smurf in LoL=a lower level alt account played by a higher level player) and play with your friends. This will help you get matched against people who your friends can handle. Although don't try to steamroll every match, or else your normal ELO will go up and you get stuck playing against other smurfs that your friends can't handle.

The people above me covered your question. I hope my advice helps!

Ayldn

04-08-2011

The unskilled player report will just help your friends invisible normal game elo out by adjusting it downwards a bit I believe; it's not there to punish people for not being amazing at a leisure activity. Also, someone suggested smurfing a little when you play with your friends and that is probably a good way to help your buddies learn the ropes. Play a support in the duo lane instead of tryharding and stomping the opposition on a carry and try to improve your pals with tips and advice.

acosn

04-08-2011

Doesn't really mean anything, though I only think Riot would take action on it if it were an obvious case of someone knowing what champion they're playing and basically blowing it out their ass.

I'm talking about AP Renekton or Katarina with Clarity, or AD Soraka.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

04-08-2011

Reporting someone as an unskilled player does not automatically change anything. All it does is flag a game (and player) for further review by Riot.

The idea isn't to manually change the Elo of unskilled players, it's to track their movement through the ranks, and find out why they got placed above their skill level. (They will then try to fix this).