Quick jungle Amumu question

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alex Dude

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-07-2011

What masteries would you suggest?

I get 1 / 19 (including AP/AS boost) / 10

If I go 21 in defense is it better to lose buffs or smite?

Or is 21 in support better?

tumultuoustempus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-07-2011

Improved Smite is relatively worthless. On the other hand, increased buff duration is extremely important for Amumu.

I personally go 0/21/9

SharkPiledriver

04-07-2011

I use Magic Pen/Mana Regen, 5/Flat CDR runes, and all I need in the defense tree is flat armor and the 2 points in less damage from minions. With that I can solo the golem at lvl 1. It'll be close, like literally life-or-death close, so usually I get a leash or make sure nobodys gonna mess with me.

The rest I put into utility. Like tumultuous said, increased buff duration is an utter must for Amumu.

21 in the defensive tree is a waste though. Amumu needs that flash CD as low as possible.

Goth Skunk

04-07-2011

1 point improved smite
3 points into improved armor and MR each
4 points into dodge
2 points into less minion damage
3 points into physical damage block
1 point into swiftness
3 points into perseverance
1 point improved Ghost
4 points awareness
2 points improved neutral minion buff duration
3 points better mana regen.

Also, I laugh at all jungle Amumu's that start at blue-buff. You're so predictable it's actually detrimental to your team. But that's all I'm going to say about that.

Sorbon

04-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumultuoustempus View Post
Improved Smite is relatively worthless. On the other hand, increased buff duration is extremely important for Amumu.

I personally go 0/21/9
Improved Smite isn't "worthless" if you've got a set path or build plan that you lean on for the first few moments. For me as Amumu it means getting my boots and off the altar 20+ seconds sooner before my second pass. There's few masteries that will net you that kind of advantage so early in the game.

Though, this much is true, the duration buffs are extremely important.

In my experience the fastest jungling for Amumu is actually 10/10/10, hitting the +damage to minions, -damage from minions, and neutral buffs. However, this setup isn't so great when it comes to team fightings, etc.

I would say you evaluate your team, so hopefully they pick quick. If you have friends or allied champs who "need" (i.e. more than you do) blue or red, skimp on the neutral buffs +duration, and take advantage of having 21 points in defense. This means you have squishy carries who don't need mana/AP. Carries who use mana/AP better be building for enough CDR/mana recovery to not even notice they have blue on (I'm looking at you, noob Lux). There's simply too many good items that play to all three of these attributes.

On the other hand, a team with say 2 bruisers and champs who should build CDR/+mana anyway (and therefore shouldn't lean on blue buff), then max out utility so you can cry/ult as much as possible. You won't be running interference for many bruisers anyway, as a lot of your survivability stems from Q and R, not from raw HP/AR/MR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goth Skunk View Post
Also, I laugh at all jungle Amumu's that start at blue-buff. You're so predictable it's actually detrimental to your team. But that's all I'm going to say about that.
Yup. Even if you don't get ganked it's a stupid idea. You need so much help that at least one of your teammates is going to lose out on exp, and it won't speed you up much, as going buffless, you can still kill everything, go b, and get back just after the wolves respawn.

Blue's so helpful for Amumu when ganking/team fighting, he really should save it till he's going to actually *use* it. Getting it early does nothing but prevent the enemy team from getting it.

tumultuoustempus

04-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorbon View Post
Improved Smite isn't "worthless" if you've got a set path or build plan that you lean on for the first few moments. For me as Amumu it means getting my boots and off the altar 20+ seconds sooner before my second pass. There's few masteries that will net you that kind of advantage so early in the game.

Though, this much is true, the duration buffs are extremely important.
Nice one leaving off the extremely important "relatively" that I wrote before the worthless. Of course it's not worthless, but when compared to increased neutral monster buff duration, it is worthless, relatively.