Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Caitlyn - all game dominance.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hamilt0n

04-07-2011

I won't go into detail on tactics as I think Cait is a pretty simple champion to use but I've noticed since release she's a champion that people stack AD, only for her to feel weak in comparison to her earlygame. This build will utilise her passive more as well as apply other on hit effects.

Item Build:

Wits End
Malady
Madreds Razor
Sword of the Divine
Boots

Summoner Skills - Teleport + Flash
Masteries - 9/0/21 - Typical mage setup getting magic pen in offensive.
Runes - HP Quints and MPen Reds, blues and yellows are upto you.

Cait's early game is incredibly powerful meaning you can really zone out your opponents and score some early kills. I usually start off with armour and 5 pots (built into madreds. After that I'll go with Wits End and Boots. Wits End is very underrated and early/midgame will create so much anger when the other team is not only getting zoned out, but when given the chance to attack doesn't have the mana. Boots are situational - I like swiftness because along with those, E and Flash I am extremely mobile so that stacking defensive items isn't a priority.

There is no set way to build the items - it all depends on your opponents and how well you're doing. This build will take your attack speed close to 2.5 turning that sniper rifle you have in a machine gun.

I'm horrible with numbers but the idea is that each time you attack an enemy (at 18) the following happens (these numbers are approximate).

Auto attack hits for 131.
Wits End hits for 42.
Malady hits for 20
Madreds (for arguments sake on a target that has 3000 hp) hits for 120.
SotD (every 4 attacks so we'll divide by 4) hits for 25.
Caitlyns passive (every 6 attacks so we'll divide by 6) hits for 11

= 349 for each auto - with an AS giving you over 2 auto attacks a second.

Lategame this damage doesn't disappear because of Mpen runes and Maladys MR shred. I've also got to the stage a few games where I've had enough money to get a 6th item. So far I've picked Frozen Mallet - AD, HP, Constant slow. The slow coupled with your attack speed mean noone is getting away from you.

Please give my item build a go and let me know what you think.

kwjnfkjsdg

04-07-2011

i use a similar build for miss fortune, madred's, malady, mallet, wit's end, banshee's veil. it works 10x better on mf since she already has built in on-hit effects and an AS steroid.

i don't think it works as well on caitlyn. makeing a build revolving around her passive is like building attack speed Yi. she has no steroid, low natural attack speed, etc. she's better off being built like ashe, kiting and hitting hard with crits.

DeClawd

04-07-2011

Huh I really like the premise of this build. I'm going to give it a go!

Hamilt0n

04-07-2011

Problem I've found with her using AD is that for it to be viable lategame you need to build a hell of a lot of AD which is (1) more expensive than this build and (2) means you can't get items to aid her damage like AS.

To me her passive (and the recent buff to her AS) screams out that AS is the way to go - as it means her DPS mid/late game goes through the roof.

A retort to you last statement - if you think she's better off being built as Ashe then why not just use Ashe? She has more utility and is much more of a supportive AD carry with her slows and stuns.

I see this build as an answer to the stealth nerf AD carrys have had (during the tanky dps meta that is) and I see this build as a great way to combat that.

Wildkarde

04-07-2011

Quote:
Hamilt0n:
Problem I've found with her using AD is that for it to be viable lategame you need to build a hell of a lot of AD which is (1) more expensive than this build and (2) means you can't get items to aid her damage like AS.

To me her passive (and the recent buff to her AS) screams out that AS is the way to go - as it means her DPS mid/late game goes through the roof.

A retort to you last statement - if you think she's better off being built as Ashe then why not just use Ashe? She has more utility and is much more of a supportive AD carry with her slows and stuns.

I see this build as an answer to the stealth nerf AD carrys have had (during the tanky dps meta that is) and I see this build as a great way to combat that.

She benefits too much from AD for it to be ignored. She thrives off of an early BF sword. Switch to AS once you have the damage to back it up. The fact that they have buffed her passive and AS scaling lets you focus more on her AD to improve her deadly early game and then build into a late game crit/as monster.