Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Gangplank help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Moritsuna

02-21-2010

I have heard gangplank has had a nerf regarding his magical to physical damage shot, so would anyone give me a good idea of how to build well in his current state?

My ideas were dorans shield, 2 x avarice, IE, PD, but you guys know more than me.

Runes/Masteries would help as well.

kr4ng

02-21-2010

only build avarice blades. it is the only good item on pirate. no boots either cause it takes up a slot for another avarice blade.

IHelpPro

02-21-2010

I built pirate as this:
Full red APEN and APEN quints (29 armor penetration), blue and yellow MP/5/level.

meki + 2 hp pots to start. Sell meki when required
boots 1
crit cloak
zeal
brutalizer
finish infi edge
atma's impaler
frozen mallet
zeal > phantom dancer.

If they are stacking armor I'll make last whisper after inf edge.

samiamorwas

02-21-2010

Meki pendant + pots is a good way to start. The problem with Doran's Shield is that you don't get any mana regen, which is vital for your laning phase. I usually go Brutalizer + lvl1 boots as my first item, since you can't use Haunting Guise anymore. Then you have a few options. You can just rush IF, but I usually get sheen and finish up on the boots first (usually Merc Treads). I've never tried Zeal, but that could work. After IF, Bloodthirster and Frozen Mallet are your best options.

Try to avoid eve getting an Avarice Blade. It's overplayed, but relying on the random number generator will reduce your DPS overall. A single crit will look nice, but the damage+CDR provided by Brutalizer and Sheen will do more in the long run. Oh, and never buy Beserker's Greaves. Please.

As for runes and masteries, focus on Armor Pen and Cooldown Reduction. You can use Crit Chance/Crit Damage too, if that floats your boat. Go 21/0/9 for masteries.

Fbsunny

02-21-2010

Meki Pendant-> Philo Stone
boots-> berserkers or boots of mobility or merc treads or ninja tabi
IE
PD
BT
LW if they are stacking armor, or BV, or frozen mallet

AmyOverlord

02-21-2010

Love how no one goes for crit chance.

He does a huge ****ed amount of damage to squishies, from a range, simply because of how powerful he can be using Parrrley.

I use the same build I use on Tryn.

Meki Pendant + 3 HP Pots
Beserker Greaves
Avarice
Avarice
Executioner's Calling
Phantom Dancer
Infinity Edge (Sell Meki)
Phantom Dancer (Sell Avaraice)
Last Whisper/Another PD (Sell Avarice)

Fbsunny

02-21-2010

Quote:
AmyOverlord:
Love how no one goes for crit chance.

He does a huge ****ed amount of damage to squishies, from a range, simply because of how powerful he can be using Parrrley.

I use the same build I use on Tryn.

Meki Pendant + 3 HP Pots
Beserker Greaves
Avarice
Avarice
Executioner's Calling
Phantom Dancer
Infinity Edge (Sell Meki)
Phantom Dancer (Sell Avaraice)
Last Whisper/Another PD (Sell Avarice)

This is a horrible horrible build for both trynd and gangplank. The reason is you are wasting money on crit chance you don't need.

If you listen to your build and get 3xPD, 1 IE, boots, and exec calling you have 125% crit chance from items. Not to mention the 20% you should have from runes, and at least 10% from champions base stats. You now have 155% crit chance, 55% (almost 2 PD's worth) of which are totally wasted.

If you look at my build I have IE, PD, 10%+from base champion, 20% from runes which puts me at 80% which is plenty. Then I start getting damage so that my crits do even more damage.

If you seriously build that I hope you are never on my team.

Edit: Wait wait wait, you get a meki pendant on Trynd? I really hope you are a troll. Do you also get clarity and revive for trynd? Also with trynd you need even less crit chance from items, because your passive gives you extra crit chance.

02-21-2010

Quote:
kr4ng:
only build avarice blades. it is the only good item on pirate. no boots either cause it takes up a slot for another avarice blade.

...you sir, are ******ed. :/

That is such fail advice...you call yourself a pirate player? Ugh. Out of pirate threads, NOW.

02-21-2010

Quote:
Fbsunny:
Also with trynd you need even less crit chance from items, because your passive gives you extra crit chance.

Just wanted to point this out. I'm not saying the quoted build was good, but you don't want less crit chance on Trynd just because of his passive. That requires you to have low life, and I don't think relying on being damaged for your DPS is a smart idea. Going a bit lower on crit chance is fine for it, maybe 8-12%, but I wouldn't go too much lower than a GP crit build for him.

Fbsunny

02-21-2010

Quote:
Mr Tibbers:
Just wanted to point this out. I'm not saying the quoted build was good, but you don't want less crit chance on Trynd just because of his passive. That requires you to have low life, and I don't think relying on being damaged for your DPS is a smart idea. Going a bit lower on crit chance is fine for it, maybe 8-12%, but I wouldn't go too much lower than a GP crit build for him.

I certainly still think that Crit chance is still important on Trynd, but with 10%base, 20%from runes, 20% from IE, and 30% from PD you are already at 80%. If you are then using your ult so you are at 105% you would then be wasting that extra 5%. This is not that big of a deal since it is just some of the time, but I certainly would not get any more crit chance then this. Maybe even think about getting only half crit chance runes (10% crit chance) and half armor pen or crit damage (29armor pen or 24% crit damage).

Also the difference between Gangplank and Trynd is that since Gangplanks Parrrley is a 1 shot deal (every 6s), which means it is very important that it crits almost every time so you don''t waste any time.

Trynd on the other hand uses crit for his auto-attacks, so if you want to maximize your damage you need both AS and crit chance. If you have 2 attacks per second and 50% crit chance it will be the same number of crits as 1 attack per second and 100% crit chance. Of course crit chance is easier to get, but more attack speed would mean you get non crit attacks which still add to damage. Basically this means 100%crit chance with no AS is not good on trynd, but would be ok on GP.