Kennen tips?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JOHNNY SUPERNOVA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-06-2011

I just bought Kennen, and I tried him out in coop vs ai, but I got my butt kicked.

Can you guys give me some tips on how to play him? I was stacking AP something fierce, but it made me really squishy.

Slinger O Guns

04-06-2011

I normally rush a Rylais into a death cap. If you're not doing too well you can build a defensive item or get a guinsoo's into a hat. It helps to farm with his Q tons. Also when your looking to gank try to get like 2-3 stuns off, that's what you rock at chain stunning. Try out different types of combos for your marks too. Like let your ult hit twice then surge for the stun so that your ult hits them again with a mark and all you have to do is zap them and then shurkien them for another stun. Uh only other thing I can think of is spam the f*ck out of your Q It's good.

EDIT: Also I run energy runes (Quints) on Kennen because then your only limited by cooldowns and energy is not an issue. But that's not the norm just my play style.

JOHNNY SUPERNOVA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-06-2011

Cool. Thanks!

Would Lich Bane be a good pick for Kennen? I figured it would be a good pick since Kennen has to get up close to use his ult, and his two other abilities.

Edit: i forgot lich bane was a mana item. I guess that doesn't work as well with Kennen.

Crazyflames

04-06-2011

Rylais, abisal sceptor, and zhonyas are all caster items that give great AP and tanky stats. I personaly like GA on kennen actualy because your going to be in the middle of most fights to have max effectiveness.

Seelyon

04-06-2011

This Kennen Guide should help you out.

ZXPrototype

04-06-2011

Learn how to farm well, buy two large rods and upgrade the first into hourglass. Use defensive runes and masteries, this will give you more survivability than rylais alone. Resistance>hp stacking vs almost all teams minus a few.

Also, always run ghost flash, even if it seems like a waste. If you want survivability ghost flash is where its at. (you *could* take ignite or exhaust, but survivability was the OP's concern.)

bottomset

04-06-2011

Being squishy is fine. The secret to playing a squishy Kennen is in learning how to use Zhonya's Hourglass with your ultimate in teamfights. It makes you invulnerable while you stun and burst the enemy team down. Flash is also quite useful in getting in and out of bad situations. You may want to skim through sections of this Kennen guide. It has some good information you might find useful.

DarkKnightKD

04-06-2011

I play Kennen quite a bit. Personally I start with a boots and 3 health pots. Also, try to get mid lane if you can, as Kennen can harass very well with his shuriken

When laning, mid or otherwise, try to hit the opponent with your shuriken, this will apply a mark of the storm, as well as do a nice bit of damage. After that, try to hit them with a lightning surge, as it will hit as long as they have a mark and are within range.

Once you have lightning surge, you will also gain an auto-attack which will apply a mark of the storm on the target it hits, so a great early game combination would be to gain the auto-attack off of minions, then hit with your shuriken, then hit with the auto-attack, and then finally the lightning surge, which will stun the target due to the effect of mark of the storm.

Another useful combination is your lightning dash, and lightning surge. First you run through a champion or minion wave with your dash, then you use lightning surge to attack all the enemies you hit with the dash. This is very useful when farming minions, and later in the game you can take out a whole minion wave with those two moves alone.

For team fights, I would recommend waiting for someone on your team to engage the enemy, then lightning dash in, use your ult, and, before the third mark is applied, use lightning surge. This should leave 2 marks of the storm on your enemies after your ult has ended, and you can hit them with your shuriken to stun them again.

For items, I like to start with boots and 3 health pots. Then I like to pick up sorcerer shoes, as the early game magic penetration is nice. Then I like to build Rylai's Crystal Scepter, as the ability power, health, and slow to your moves makes it a great item, especially since you can slow multiple enemies with your moves. My next item is usually a Rabadon's Deathcap. This item will make your ablilities very powerful, and as another advantage you can usually kill a whole minion wave with your lightning dash and lightning surge at this point, which makes earning gold very quick.

My last 3 items are more situational. If I am doing well, I may pick up a Mejai's Soulstealer. If I need more survivability, I usually pick up a banshee's veil. Another item which can lend to survivability is the Zhonya's Hourglass. This item is great when you enter a team fight, as you can make yourself immune to damage, and your ult will still damage and stun the enemy team. Another item that works very well with Kennen is the Lich Bane, as your shuriken has around a 3 second cooldown at level 18, and Lich Bane's added damage to your auto-attacks will make you a very scary dps.

Lastly, I like to build a 9/21/0 mastery for Kennen. I feel that the defense tree suits Kennen more than the utility tree due to Kennen needing to be close to his enemies in order to deal most of his damage.

I hope my small guide to Kennen helps in any way possible.

reaver99

04-06-2011

Kennen is actually pretty tanky, but because you need to charge in you tend to take a lot of focus fire. You always want Rylai's first.

I really don't like Mejai's since you don't want to give them even more reason to focus you. If you're getting fed then just get Deathcap after Rylai's, and then Void Staff or Abyssal Scepter depending on whether they're stacking MR or not.

If you're dying too fast then get Zhonya's, and then Abyssal Scepter.

Personally I think Lich Bane is really bad since late game you end up being an ult bot anyways. But it can be nice if you need to push towers so it's always an option.

I think your problem with being squishy is as much your playstyle as your build though. Don't initiate with Kennen without Zhonya's and Flash up. Remember that Lightning Rush gives you 50 armor and mr - if you try to use Lightning Rush to run in and then Zhonya's, it will wear off as your ult is still going and you're a) stuck in the middle of the enemy team and b) just lost 50 armor and mr. What you want to do is Flash ult into the other team, use Zhonya's and THEN turn on Lightning Rush, so you can either escape or chase or just tank more damage. Also Lightning Rush does a lot of damage and you don't want to waste it not hitting anyone.

Heavysleeper

04-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY SUPERNOVA View Post
Cool. Thanks!

Would Lich Bane be a good pick for Kennen? I figured it would be a good pick since Kennen has to get up close to use his ult, and his two other abilities.

Edit: i forgot lich bane was a mana item. I guess that doesn't work as well with Kennen.
Givin that kennen has to auto attack to get his w passive, and he can q to proc it for basically free. I like lich bane, or at least sheen.