Question About Caitlyn

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GoSu sAviOr

04-06-2011

Hey everyone,

I've just recently started to play Caitlyn and I had a few questions about her runes.

I've been mostly sticking to the guide I've found here:

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...th-guide-52122

However, as a new player I have trouble justifying some of these rune choices. Obviously, this could just be because I'm new to the game and I'm still learning how everything works, but I figured I'd ask anyways to understand why exactly I'm doing what I'm doing.

Armor Penetration Runes (Red/Quints): I agree completely with using these runes. I have all my red slots and quint's filled with them.

MP5/s per level (Yellow): I somewhat understand this choice. You wanna be spamming Q as much as possible early game to score multiple last hits and for harassing other champions in your lane. Mana regeneration definitely helps you do this, but it seems like it would be a complete waste in the late game because Q becomes drastically less useful. It's primarily used as a poke against champion's in team fights, and outside of that it's mostly used to 1 shot lanes of creep's, which isn't very mana intensive. So I guess the question is basically if it's worth it to invest so many runes into fixing a problem that's only present in the early game.

Just to give you an idea I used to play Ashe for a ranged carry. In the case of Ashe I think the MP/5 is much more justifiable because mana is an issue the entire match due to how frequently your spamming volley, not to mention her ultimate.

MP5/s per level or CD reduction per level (Blue): So to start, I think more mana regeneration runes seems like a very odd choice because it feels like now we're completely overcompensating for her mana issues in the early game, and leaving her completely gimp, rune-wise, in the late game. I can understand mana regen in one rune type or the other, but not both. As far as CD reduction, again I can better understand its uses for Ashe because she benefits greatly from a shorter volley and arrow CD, which she relies on heavily, even in the late game. However, for Caitlyn I have a hard time justifying it because most of her abilities are so weak in the late game. Also, unlike mana regen I even question how significant having a few fractions of a second shaved off your Q really is while leveling up.

So what do you guys think? Am I completely off base here? Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe it's just a case of their being no better alternatives for blue and yellow slots?

I was thinking maybe even something like AS would be better. I know typically AD>AS for Caitlyn, but AS has some nice synergy with some of the life-steal weapons that are recommended for her, right?

Gunflame

04-06-2011

I'm not a great Caitlyn player but I'll give you my suggestions:

- I like his runes. I use HP quints instead of ArmPen Quints. MP5 are needed to substain your piltover casting. I dont use CDR but they could be useful, not much though.

- By lvl 3 you should have lvl 1 traps. Sometimes I get traps at lvl 1 to keep taps on their jungler or to zone my enemy.

- I believe wriggles is completely awesome on caitlyn. If you hit a minion for 750 (250%*100+500 wriggles) you heal about 15%? 18%? of that? 100-150 health. If you hit for 250 you steal heal 40 with your passive. Amazing item for the laning phase.

- After this I usually get Phage for slow+hp... or go carry with Last whisper (if they are stacking armor) or Infinite Edge. My other items are Phantom Dancers and Frozen mallets, with Banshee and Atma or Guardian angel.

Somtimes My build is something like this
- Wrigles
- Boots (swiftness or mercury)
- Phage/Frozen Mallet
- IE or Last Whisper or Phantom dancer
- Banshee
- Sell Wriggles, buy Atma or Guardian angel.

GoSu sAviOr

04-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunflame View Post
I'm not a great Caitlyn player but I'll give you my suggestions:

- I like his runes. I use HP quints instead of ArmPen Quints. MP5 are needed to substain your piltover casting. I dont use CDR but they could be useful, not much though.

- By lvl 3 you should have lvl 1 traps. Sometimes I get traps at lvl 1 to keep taps on their jungler or to zone my enemy.

- I believe wriggles is completely awesome on caitlyn. If you hit a minion for 750 (250%*100+500 wriggles) you heal about 15%? 18%? of that? 100-150 health. If you hit for 250 you steal heal 40 with your passive. Amazing item for the laning phase.

- After this I usually get Phage for slow+hp... or go carry with Last whisper (if they are stacking armor) or Infinite Edge. My other items are Phantom Dancers and Frozen mallets, with Banshee and Atma or Guardian angel.

Somtimes My build is something like this
- Wrigles
- Boots (swiftness or mercury)
- Phage/Frozen Mallet
- IE or Last Whisper or Phantom dancer
- Banshee
- Sell Wriggles, buy Atma or Guardian angel.
Would you suggest per level mana regen or flat?

Initially I was thinking per level, but since it appears she only has mana issues in the early game you may get more bang for your buck early on.

However, as I'm calculating it it seems like you makeup the deficit by around level 6 or so in most cases so I don't think I can justify not getting the per level runes.

saixx

04-06-2011

I get armor penn red, HP quints, mana regen/lvl yellows, and CDR blues. the cdr blue is mainly because there isnt much worhtwhile for AD in blues its the magicy runes. (red more AD, yellow more tanky, blue more magicy) You can get miniscule AD or ASPD or crit if you want in blue, but its not worthwhile. The yellow is because you should be learning Q is amazing all game. First it hits multiple targets and should be used in teamfights late game as it does more than autoattacking to 1-5 people+minions. Skillshots dont need a target, dang he flashed away over a wall hmmm line up based on movespeed PEW kill. Oh no Twitch or eve went invisible, no autoattack...I know right where u are tho, PEW kill.
Per level runes exceed flat at 5 or 6 for mana making them ideal of course. CDR on the other hand do not beat it until 13, so flat are more useful here.

sorry for grammar, typing inbetween things while at work

Gunflame

04-06-2011

Both flat and per level are useful in MP5. I use MP5/lvl which means I run out of mana by lvl 4-5. But since I use teleport+ghost It is usually good time to return and buy something (wards+boots or Madred's if I have been doing great).

Late game I never run out of mana thanks to my runes. Usually Piltover is the "banshee poper" pre*fight spell, because it is kinda useless in teamfights and It has huge range.

The thing is that both traps and net have a huge CD early game, so you probably won't be spamming them much. Late game their cooldown is much lower so you will probably use 2-3 traps during fights and pushing (your will be throwing traps everywhere to cover your escape routes) or cover bushes, and you can even use your net 2-3 times during the chasing and prefights (someone gets close to you, you do net+piltover BEFORE everyone engages. So per lvl is what I use. Flat mana are good if you want a stronger early game.

saixx

04-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunflame View Post
Usually Piltover is the "banshee poper" pre*fight spell, because it is kinda useless in teamfights and It has huge range.
That huge range is what makes it amazing for teamfights. You can pop a shot for 600-700 damage through their team. I will agree traps aregreat I had a 19/9 match other day(tank could not keep me alive lol, I run flash/ghost to combo with her net kickback for escapes for just this reason. Traps in key locations are nice especially in river. I sntached up 3 kills at dragon since when they tired to escape 2 got stuck in traps on their way out. Piltover range is amazing and its aoe. Also why on earth would u build a madreds BR? She has pretty bad aspd and piltover doesnt apply on hits. She isnt twitch, trist, or MF with aspd steroids. She works much better stacking AD and a little armor penn if needed. Endgame i generally do 600-700 Q pierce aoe with what a 3 sec cd. My auto attacks do 400-500 non crit(dont get much crit since her skills cant crit). My R does 1100-1200. The last game I played with ehr I was taking 1/3-1/2 their hp with a piltover or a headshot. Her passive also isnt effected by BR. Just bad incorporating a magic damage item into an AD char that get 0 benefit outside of auto attack from it...and doesnt even get aspd boost.

sorry for grammar, typing while at work when I can

Marrisa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-06-2011

so ive been playing cait, for a while and i recently tried out that yellow mp5 runes and i noticed a prety big jump in my mana regen. I highly recommend it, like you said op, mana regen isnt really useful late game, but if u can farm well early game and get kills, i think the mp5 is worth it.

Gunflame

04-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by saixx View Post
That huge range is what makes it amazing for teamfights. You can pop a shot for 600-700 damage through their team. I will agree traps aregreat I had a 19/9 match other day(tank could not keep me alive lol, I run flash/ghost to combo with her net kickback for escapes for just this reason. Traps in key locations are nice especially in river. I sntached up 3 kills at dragon since when they tired to escape 2 got stuck in traps on their way out. Piltover range is amazing and its aoe. Also why on earth would u build a madreds BR? She has pretty bad aspd and piltover doesnt apply on hits. She isnt twitch, trist, or MF with aspd steroids. She works much better stacking AD and a little armor penn if needed. Endgame i generally do 600-700 Q pierce aoe with what a 3 sec cd. My auto attacks do 400-500 non crit(dont get much crit since her skills cant crit). My R does 1100-1200. The last game I played with ehr I was taking 1/3-1/2 their hp with a piltover or a headshot. Her passive also isnt effected by BR. Just bad incorporating a magic damage item into an AD char that get 0 benefit outside of auto attack from it...and doesnt even get aspd boost.

sorry for grammar, typing while at work when I can
It is kinda useless in the sense that it "stuns" you while casting it. If anyone decides they want to go for you you can't cast skills. For example Ashe, Tristana, Miss Fortune and Kogmaw all can use their damaging skills while running away. Caitlyn has to play a trap, use her net and pray. Basically Piltover is like a mini-stun with delayed damage.

If you see an openning were you can hit 3-4 champions, sure cast piltover. But if you can only hit 1 or 2 champions it is both safer and more damaging to just keep autottacking. That's why Piltover is not that good in a team fight. Anything that stuns yourself without stunning your enemy is not safe for teamfights (unless it is massive damage like Karthus, WW and Malz ultimates).