Sound Lag, FPS drop, and DC

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

beralus

03-04-2012

My LoL runs on

Window 7 64bit
6gb ram
6850 HD radeon
Sound blaster 5.1

Here is what the problem is; about 20 minutes of playing the game will cause my soundcard?(may be not the soundcard's fault) to fail miserably. In game sound will glitch -> FPS drop -> within few mintues I will have miserable lag -> after few minutes it will drop me from the server.

When I have media player running in game sound lag will also lag my media player.

Here are lists of things I tried to come up with the solution:

1. Update my video card and sound card driver - Nothing
2. Play LOL without turning media player - still cause ingame lag then dc happens (so media player does not cause this problem)
3. Play LOL with media player on, when the ingame lag occurs, go to desktop then turn off lagging media player - LOL stops, window fails, Restart my window
4.ignore and play - ingame sound lag occurs, ignore for few minutes and experince huge fps drop and lag, then it dc me from the server. Restarting the client will not fix the problem. I have to restart my window.

jaywatford

Lead Sound Designer

03-05-2012
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Hey beralus,

Have you tried playing with the audio in LoL disabled? Letting us know if the problem still happens with audio disabled will help us narrow down what the problem might be. If you could experiment with that and let us know, it would be a big help.

Thanks!

Akuni

03-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywatford View Post
Hey beralus,

Have you tried playing with the audio in LoL disabled? Letting us know if the problem still happens with audio disabled will help us narrow down what the problem might be. If you could experiment with that and let us know, it would be a big help.

Thanks!
I had the same problem since the Nautilus patch. I tested since then and it seemed that Champs with a lot of voice action (Like Ziggs) let me lag the most. I thin played a lot with all the settings and drivers/CPU throttle, etc Brentmeister wrote up in another thread. In the end the only thing that helped was turning off the announcer sound. Since then I hit lagspikes more rarely but it's still not fully gone yet playable what counts the most for me (Who needs announcer sound anyway...).

Just to leave you some system data:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz 2.34 GHz processor
4.00GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (Product review says compatibility with LoL is soso, yet it was always more than enough + can render Skyrim and higher graphics with ease...)
Realtek HD Audio
Using a WLAN connection (Since over 3 years now, never had problems in LoL before the Naut patch with it though)

(General performance rating: 5.9 (7.1 on RAM, Sound, Graphic, etc but HDD drags it down with 5.9), looking to get a better HDD in the next time for my system and games)

If you need anything else, just say it. My guess would be an issue with audio feedback.

umbrasumus

03-05-2012

I have had the same problem, though it doesn't generally kick me off the server. Also it tends to change when it happens in game, as well as how long the fps stays down.

jaywatford

Lead Sound Designer

03-06-2012
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjavamp View Post
In the end the only thing that helped was turning off the announcer sound. Since then I hit lagspikes more rarely but it's still not fully gone yet playable what counts the most for me (Who needs announcer sound anyway...).
Hey Ninjavamp,

Have you tried disabling sound completely and seeing if that helps with the lag spikes? Because of the way our audio system is setup, you should see any performance benefits from only turning off the announcer, so I'm very curious as to what's going on. Understanding the results of disabling the audio would help us out a lot.

Thanks!

Werewolf Link

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-06-2012

I end up getting terrible FPS about 30 mins in, sometimes earlier if I play with Sound enabled.

The only cure is to Quit League and Reconnect. This affectively "renews" your time until you get lag again.

Akuni

03-06-2012

Quote:
Hey Ninjavamp,

Have you tried disabling sound completely and seeing if that helps with the lag spikes? Because of the way our audio system is setup, you should see any performance benefits from only turning off the announcer, so I'm very curious as to what's going on. Understanding the results of disabling the audio would help us out a lot.

Thanks!
Yeah I tried that, the only option that made things better is in fact the announcer. The rest (Champion voices, effect sounds - background music is generally turned off since I prefer my own btw) does about nothing or at least nothing I could see as advancement. Lag spikes occur rarely with those turned on or off - Getting worse by far with announcer turned on.

Edit: I might want to add that I usually play on EU west, being from the EU. I just stumbled over this topic on the redtracker so I thought I could give it a try.

BlobPower

03-20-2012

@beralus:
The game is reading the sounds from HDD all the time. (source: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1643508) To me this sounds like your issues are caused by this. There are 3 things you can try:
1. Disable everything with HDD access while playing. When you like listening to music while playing, try to find a media player that buffers several seconds, so it does not have to read from HDD all the time. Or put your music on a different HDD(not just a different partition!).
2. Defrag your HDD or just the LoL folder, then reading the sounds might be a bit faster. WinContig allows you to check if files in your LoL folder are fragmented, and it allows to defrag single folders.
3. Mess with your Windows settings to use memory more for caching than for programs. Since you have 6GB, this shouldn't cause any problems, but if you are lucky, only the 1st time an ability is used, the sound for it will lag the game.

Quote:
Hey Ninjavamp,

Thanks!
Because of the way your audio system is setup, there are no performance benefits from muting the sound effects or voices, the game still reads them from HDD on demand.

Can you please explain why you use streaming audio for everything? It's causing lag in the game, and FMOD definatively has the option to play all sounds from memory.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1643508

beralus

03-21-2012

I fresh installed new windows and updated all of my drivers it still gives sound lag in the game. Audio disabled in game would not solve the problem.

BlobPower

03-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by beralus View Post
I fresh installed new windows and updated all of my drivers it still gives sound lag in the game. Audio disabled in game would not solve the problem.
Hmm, ok, if you really disabled all audio instead of just muting it, then your issue is not related to my issue. It even sounds like your issue is not an audio issue at all.

PS: Maybe the client is eating resources again? You can try if suspening the client, while playing, does anything:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1086230