Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What is the purpose of "Normal" games now that vs Bot games are available?

Troll others. Ruin gameplay for others for my own enjoyment. 13 5.04%
Who cares. I do what I want to do. Don't care what other people are in the game for. 21 8.14%
Play new champs. Play seriously, although may not play well due to unfamiliarity with the champ. 32 12.4%
Practice champs. Play the game as effectively as possible whatever my skill level. 97 37.6%
Perfect champs before playing ranked. Expect high level playing by self, teammates, and opponents. 95 36.82%
Voters 258 .

What is the purpose of "normal" games?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.
04-05-2011

I don't get much time to play LoL. I usually get one game at a time, usually one at lunchtime at work, and maybe one or two late at night due to real-life (studying for exams, housework, childcare). Just had a game where I had my setup pre-done for jungle Noct, and another player (Udyr) requested the jungle. Being the nice guy, I said "sure", and respec'ed right before the game started.

The Udyr player (no player account names here) then proceeds to fail at the jungle path (death to minions), fails all ganks, feeds the opponents at all ganks, and then admits "This is my first time playing him".

When I told him that he would be better off practicing in "vs Bots" games, his reply was "Sorry for ruining your non-ranked normal game".

I am sorry, but if I am going to trying something new, such as jungling (which DOES require a lot of practice to do effectively), or a new character, or even both at the same time, I will not subject other people to my "less than my best" game. Inflicting my ineptness on other people WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT is almost as bad as intentionally trolling my own team. At the very least, a heads-up as to his not having played the champ before would have been appreciated, as it would have changed how I was going to play.

Mostly a gripe session, but I do want to know what people consider the purpose of "normal" games ever since "vs Bot" games were released.

Lry

04-05-2011

The issue with "vs bot" games is that the bots are too easy on beginner and brutally punishing on intermediate. So if you wanna test out a new champ you can either faceroll through the beginner bots or get your butt handed to you by the higher level bots. So that leaves you with playing normal games to work out what works and what doesn't since actual people do things that the bots don't, such as counter jungling and don't just forget you exsist if you dive into bushes

EuryBartleby

04-05-2011

Fun.

04-05-2011

Thanks for the replies so far. I would like to know what other people are going to do, so perhaps I'll not set my sights so high.

But you think that the Intermediate level bots are too difficult, that other players are easier to play against? Against bots I have only lost once (due to 2 players leaving and I was playing a tank, not a carry). I just use Bot games as my method of getting used to a champ, or a specific build. Once I know how to play the champ (and skills) correctly, I'll get into regular games to make sure it works against fleshy opponents. Once I am winning (or least not feeding during losing) games, I'll consider going into Ranked.

Arkard

Wrenchman

04-05-2011

Personally, I try whatever jungling path I'm looking to do in a custom game at least a couple of times to check things like finishing time, how much health I have left over, and whether or not certain runes would work better with such a path.

I usually don't even add bots in those games. While I think that most people don't consider normal games 'serious', I wouldn't subject my team to an unpleasant experience by constantly dying to jungle creeps.

Ganking is a different thing, though. I wouldn't practice it in a bot game only because they always overextend(to the point they take tower hits, even on intermediate). They'll also react poorly to ganks from the jungle, which doesn't help prepare you properly to how players act under those conditions.

Devil May LOL

04-05-2011

you sign up for a non try hard game, then blaming your udyr for not trying hard enough.

wtf?

They separate ranked and normal for a reason. If you are trying hard in normal and raging at everyone in there then you are doing it wrong.

FDru

04-05-2011

Trying new champs and trolling in normals is no better than doing it in ranked. Normals are just ranked games without draft mode. You have elo matchmaking, and you will be grouped with and against idiots if you lose enough.

Faunara

04-05-2011

Quote:
Lry:
The issue with "vs bot" games is that the bots are too easy on beginner and brutally punishing on intermediate.

lol i see a baddie

SirBrownie

04-05-2011

I play normals because my ELO in that is way higher than my ranked. So most of the time I get decent teammates, decent enemies, and the trolling definitely isn't as bad as the people in ranked.

LuckyTofu

04-05-2011

to have fun. cuz that's why i'm playing a game for right?