Malphite mana woes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dakkas

04-05-2011

Glacial Shround (Frozen heart) and Catalyst (Banshees) should be all the mana you need

Pregnaloons

04-05-2011

Yeah most people here have got it right I think,

- Don't bother harassing with lvl1 Q, the damage isn't worth it unless it can set up a quick first blood with a lane partner
- I personally build glacial shroud as my first core, build it into FH after other cores if I get time.
- I run mp5/lvl blues and yellows as well, start the game off with something like 12mp/5
- Also helped by a 9/0/21 masteries.

Don't just harass willy nilly, have a plan, if you can't harass them effectively without getting low yourself, then build yourself up to a lvl 6 attack, try to get them to half health or less with enough mana to cast R, E then Q, 90% of the time will result in a kill. Playing it safe and getting 1 kill by lvl 6 is better than nothing!

BigDiff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-05-2011

I see lots of Malph's taking Clarity. Since he can afford the ss slot I would take that.

Korpoga

04-06-2011

I would also say clarity. You lose a summoner spell but you are free to use any runes and can start with dorans shield for hp regen and survival. It makes you a beast in laning cause almost noone can trade harass with you and win. Clarity is also quite usefull later in the game since you really need to have some mana to be useful as malph, no more squishys getting away cause you ran out of mana mid combo after a drawn out fight.

Seelyon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-06-2011

Don't run Clarity. Its a wasted summoner spell that could otherwise give your team added utility (Teleport, Exhaust, Ignite) You have a few options:

-Run 9/0/21
-Run Seals and Glyphs Mana Regeneration (my pick)
-Start with Sapphire + Rush Catalyst/Glacial Shroud
-Start with Meki + Rush Chalice (meh option)

Its all early/mid game issues as Banshee + Frozen Heart is all you need for mana.

See Malphite Guide

Claricorp

04-06-2011

I start with a mana crystal and go to build glacial shroud + boots asap

Warrrax

04-06-2011

I start with Meki+2pots and upgrade to Chalice. This fixes your mana problems all game long and lets you use Q and E a lot more for lasthitting and farming even. Magic resistance is certainly appreciated too and it provides 450 gold worth of it. So you are paying 450 more gold to totally fix mana issues which is a steal!

Alchemist Of War

04-06-2011

I use Malph a lot, cause hes my tank. What you should be doing is not spamming any moves until lvl 3, when your Q is at lvl 2, as it will do a lot of damage early game. Save your mana until then, and you should be able to get a kill with help from your lane partner. Then you should have enough gold to go back and buy boots and a mana crystal (which will turn into BV if you need it). If you dont have enough gold, then get boots and go back, get another kill/ farm a little and then go back and buy your crystal. Believe me it works really well.

Warrrax

04-06-2011

Actually one helpful hint is not to save all your mana, but don't go overboard. Spam like crazy at level 1 to damage them and make em gain less health on levelup, but at level 2, save your mana. At level 3, you will have most of your mana back and can spam again. At 4, chill and wait for 5 (unless you are close to getting your chalice which I usually am).

LCS Dyrus

04-06-2011

There are four GOOD ways to deal with malphite's mana shortage.
Way one is to conserve mana carefully, which is stupid because you're not using any of your abilities.
Way number two is Clarity, which can keep your mana up and even support your allies, but limits your spam to after it's been used. Clarity is also limited by your max mana, as it can't put you above your max mana capacity. Also, you only get two summoner spells. You take clarity, that's something else you're not taking.
Way number three is to build a chalice of harmony, which is a good way to build some magic resist, and it's one of the best mana regen items in the game due to its freakishly low price and effect.
Way number four is to build a philosopher's stone. I recommend this one as it helps keep you alive, restores mana, shortens down time between fights, and can be upgraded into reverie, which is an excellent malphite item. After all, reverie is the second best FLAT mana regen item in the game (15/5 is only beaten by an Archangel's 25/5 or a Chalice on someone who's flat out of mana). Also, reverie gives you shortened cooldowns, which is good when you consider that your ultimate has a pretty long cooldown. The extra health is just icing on the cake. On top of that, the active speed boost can help in a variety of ways that can make or break a game (recovering from a bad initiation?)

Wait... wasn't that supposed to be a short thing about a philosopher stone? Why did I go on about reverie? Eh, never mind.