Consistency is the Gateway Out of Your ELO Hell

1234567 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Druiddroid

04-06-2011

Quote:
Your team could easily have 1-2 problematic players no matter what.
I agree. It could.

But when you play 1000 or even 100 games, the only consistent variable in all of those games is you.

The only reason why someone would still blame their low ELO after 1000 games on other players was if they thought the grass was greener on the other side.

GreenTeas

04-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druiddroid View Post
Of course. If the enemy team has straight up better players, you will lose that game. But if you are better than the majority of players in your ELO, you should end up winning more than 50% of your games in the long run.

Not necessary true. It depends on if you get first pick or last pick and if your forced to play a tank. Sometimes if your forced to play a tank and your team can not do sufficient amount of damage output, then your just stuck. And also, even if you get first pick, some people are just ignorant and still pick whatever they want, not what the team needs.

Stormwake

04-07-2011

Quote:
I see a lot of people on these forums complaining about ELO hell and how the matchmaking system pairs them up with feeders and leavers. They say they belong in XX00 and are stuck in (X-5)X00. But there is a solution. Consistency and activity.

If you are consistent, meaning you don't feed, you don't leave, and you play your champion to your capabilities, you will have the highest possible chance of winning games. Play champions you're good at. Play champions that suit the needs of your team (learn to play an AD, AP, jungle, tank, support). Be a team player every game. Play at your potential ELO level in every game and you will migrate towards your potential ELO.

If you are active, you will migrate more and more towards the ELO you belong in. It's like flipping a coin 10 times VS flipping a coin 1000 times. If you flip it 10 times, there's a good chance you will end up with more Tails (loss) than Heads (win). But, if you flip it 1000 times, there will be a great chance that there are ~500 Heads and Tails. And if you play at an ELO rate better than the ELO you're at, some of those Tails will be wins too (not necessarily a lot but enough to push you to your proper ELO).

If you play a thousand games and are still unsatisfied with your ELO, then the problem isn't your team, it's you.
Wrong. I've played over 1000 games and im almost 1500, but i've been down to 1000 and up to 1450 about 8-10 times. It's luck mixed with skill, but mostly luck. I'm not saying i'm a pro and 2000 rating, i consider myself probably in the 1600 range, possibly higher but atleast there. I know just about everything about every champion in the game and i can play just about all of them at a 1400 level or above. AFKers feeders leavers trolls. People who will call you bad even though you're the best player, just because you're the tank and your record is worse then theirs. So many stupid things have i seen while playing solo que, that i will never agree that there is a FAIR chance to rise in rating. Sure if you duo que the entire time AND you're a 2000 rating player, you will rise, but how FAST you rise could still be completely random and entirely based on luck.

Infact, if you dont duo que all the time or most of the time, you could potentially never reach your actual skill level of ELO. This is a fact, it's ALL luck. Learn this.

Even at the 1500-1600 rating there are people who just got lucky, and actually deserve to be lower. So for as many people who think they deserve to be higher, there are players who deserve to be much lower. THIS is why the system is in no way, shape or form, a fair competitive ranked ladder.

Players need to be evaluated in a better way, and put at a place that is at least close to their elo level after the evaluation. A good way to try this would be evaluation matches, where if you win you face others who have won their evaluation matches, and each time you win your skill level is tested further. With a much smaller amount of players in the pool, the skill should separate from the lack thereof in a much quicker time period. After your evaluation matches are over you are set at the appropriate elo level. This at least would have newer players learn how ranked works, before they are just thrown in the mix with everyone else at the 1200 bracket. And trust me there are all skill levels at the 1200 bracket, because just because the person is new to ranked doesn't mean their good or bad, they could be a pro dota player, hon player, just good in general, or a secondary account.

This system would need to be used from the start. A new season where everything is started fresh. Something like this is what i hope for next season.

Synesthesia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormwake View Post
Infact, if you dont duo que all the time or most of the time, you could potentially never reach your actual skill level of ELO. This is a fact, it's ALL luck. Learn this.
Luck? What do you think probability is?
I don't understand these people disagreeing about playing a large number of games resulting in you being where you should be.

People keep bringing up new things to complain about and more 'variables' but EVERY ONE of these things applies to the other team as well. If you are better than them, you will eventually be where you should be, the law of large numbers dictates it. You are the ONLY consistent factor between all the games you play.

All the leavers and afkers - you have to understand that there is an equal chance that the other team has them. They are a constant variable for both sides, and if you are better than the pack you will win more overall than you lose if you play 1000 games.This is undeniable, unless you honestly believe League of Legends is programmed specifically to troll you and nobody else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers

Chavez Obama

04-09-2011

First of all, wrt Elo Hell.

There is definitely something IMO to the Elo near 1200. You can't rely on your teammates to be intelligent. You have to carry and carry hard. Simply picking a support/tank and playing will not work nearly as well, although you should statistically win more games than you lose assuming you play a lot of games if your true Elo is higher. The effect is just much less pronounced than going solo carry and rolling everyone. (I personally am sitting at 1330 ish right now with about 100 played, ranged from around 1200-1400 the whole time)

For a gateway system, I was thinking something along the lines of:

A new player would be put into an "entry realm" where they are paired with other people in the same realm.

In order to get out of the realm, the player must have a greater than 50% w/l record after some number of games (20?, no idea on the number)

If the player has more than a certain number of wins (30?), the wins/losses would reset, so they could work on earning more than 50% w/l again.

This would ensure that people need to be at least not terrible, and they can get their feet wet before going into live ranked.

Druiddroid

04-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synesthesia View Post
Luck? What do you think probability is?
I don't understand these people disagreeing about playing a large number of games resulting in you being where you should be.

People keep bringing up new things to complain about and more 'variables' but EVERY ONE of these things applies to the other team as well. If you are better than them, you will eventually be where you should be, the law of large numbers dictates it. You are the ONLY consistent factor between all the games you play.

All the leavers and afkers - you have to understand that there is an equal chance that the other team has them. They are a constant variable for both sides, and if you are better than the pack you will win more overall than you lose if you play 1000 games.This is undeniable, unless you honestly believe League of Legends is programmed specifically to troll you and nobody else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers
Thank you.

Cotilin

04-10-2011

Quote:
Thank you.
People don't understand this. Everyone wants to be at "their" ELO, and they want to be there now. The vast majority of the time, people QQ about ELO hell, then cite one game, as if that one game is what broke their ELO. They state it like they absolutely, positively, would have been 2k ELO, but that one feeding Tryndamere is what ruined it for them. They even provide screenshots, stating it as proof that ELO hell exists.

I'm sure most people have had experiences where a player on their team played without any kind of team concept, then blamed the loss on everyone else. This person may have even been the most detrimental player to the team, yet they still deluded themselves into thinking the loss was not their fault. These are probably the exact people writing on the forums complaining about afkers and trolls.

It is much easier to blame the system than to critique your own game. It is easier to play a game, blame it on bad players, and whine than it is to play a large pool of game and slowly raise your ELO.

I laugh at the people who say they are better than 90% of the other players in their ranked games. This is obvious delusion/denial. Very few bad players think they are bad. In fact, their lack of ability to gauge their own skill is probably the single biggest reason they are bad.

Cotilin

04-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLHx1 View Post
hmm again another moron talking out of his ass.. AND ITS NOT LIKE FLIPPING A COIN YOU IDIOT, BECAUSE A COIN ONLY HAS 2 POSSIBLE OUTCOMES. ****ING ******... AND NOTHER THING.. IF YOU FLIP A COIN 500X AND HEADS = YOU WIN AND TAILS = AFK/LEAVERS/FEEDERS THEN THE BEST YOU CAN GET IS 500 WINS.. BUT REALISTICALLY YOU HAVE NO CHOICE AS TO WHO YOU GET PAIRED UP WITH. SO YOU CAN LAND TAILS ALL 500X OR EVEN 250X AND STILLL BE IN THE EXACT SAME SPOT OR EVEN WORSE. ****ING IDIOTS.
Not only have you completely missed his point, but you basically just attack him. Why do you feel you have to call him an idiot, write in all caps, and use offensive language? Maybe it is because you are trying to make up for a lack of having any real and logical response?

zee ko0sh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotilin View Post
Not only have you completely missed his point, but you basically just attack him. Why do you feel you have to call him an idiot, write in all caps, and use offensive language? Maybe it is because you are trying to make up for a lack of having any real and logical response?
definitely agree on this, not only did he miss his point, but they were talking about leavers then he stated "what about trolls and afk's etc etc" completely not realizing its all the same variable.

on another note: this game is based on ALOT of common sense imo.. knowing your odds of outcome for each team fight / attack decision accounting your HP, mana/energy (if necessary), skills, and i know its tough for some people but realizing what champ/summoner skills are on cooldown compared to the enemy teams. all in all.. a lack of judgement suits best

cLHx1

04-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemo View Post
definitely agree on this, not only did he miss his point, but they were talking about leavers then he stated "what about trolls and afk's etc etc" completely not realizing its all the same variable.

on another note: this game is based on ALOT of common sense imo.. knowing your odds of outcome for each team fight / attack decision accounting your HP, mana/energy (if necessary), skills, and i know its tough for some people but realizing what champ/summoner skills are on cooldown compared to the enemy teams. all in all.. a lack of judgement suits best
First of all I did not miss his point at all... 2nd of all AFK/FEEDERS/IDIOTS ARE NOT THE SAME VARIABLE AT ALL.. infact the chance of you having one of these in a ranked game in low elo is 100% you will probly get 1 out of the 3 on your team. Your only chance of victory here is if the other team has more idiots than your team.

And anybody with brains can tell you the outcome for each team fight before it even happens. You dont understand that team fights are often already decided way before minions spawn. Most people in LOW ELO dont understand that you need to pick champs according to the other teams picks and with your own teams picks to coordinate a better play against them. If this were the case time and time again it would be even games... but its not.

1234567 ... 10