Consistency is the Gateway Out of Your ELO Hell

12345 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Druiddroid

04-04-2011

I see a lot of people on these forums complaining about ELO hell and how the matchmaking system pairs them up with feeders and leavers. They say they belong in XX00 and are stuck in (X-5)X00. But there is a solution. Consistency and activity.

If you are consistent, meaning you don't feed, you don't leave, and you play your champion to your capabilities, you will have the highest possible chance of winning games. Play champions you're good at. Play champions that suit the needs of your team (learn to play an AD, AP, jungle, tank, support). Be a team player every game. Play at your potential ELO level in every game and you will migrate towards your potential ELO.

If you are active, you will migrate more and more towards the ELO you belong in. It's like flipping a coin 10 times VS flipping a coin 1000 times. If you flip it 10 times, there's a good chance you will end up with more Tails (loss) than Heads (win). But, if you flip it 1000 times, there will be a great chance that there are ~500 Heads and Tails. And if you play at an ELO rate better than the ELO you're at, some of those Tails will be wins too (not necessarily a lot but enough to push you to your proper ELO).

If you play a thousand games and are still unsatisfied with your ELO, then the problem isn't your team, it's you.

KeepersWay

04-04-2011

consistency won't affect the team mates you get so no.

Druiddroid

04-04-2011

For example, if you are a 1500 player in a 1300 game, you will have one 1500 player and four 1300 players on your team, and five 1300 players on their team (average). Consistency just means playing at the level of a 1500 player every game. You will have a greater than 50% chance of winning these 1300 games (perhaps 55%? 60%?) because you are capable of playing more skillfully than the bracket you are in. When you are 1500, you will have a 50% chance of winning games.

Saanti

04-05-2011

i was at 600 elo now after a week im at 1k, key is pick carry and get a teammate to queue with you

Trickbaby

04-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druiddroid View Post
For example, if you are a 1500 player in a 1300 game, you will have one 1500 player and four 1300 players on your team, and five 1300 players on their team (average). Consistency just means playing at the level of a 1500 player every game. You will have a greater than 50% chance of winning these 1300 games (perhaps 55%? 60%?) because you are capable of playing more skillfully than the bracket you are in. When you are 1500, you will have a 50% chance of winning games.
unfortunately, it doesn't matter how consistent you play if your team is down a person... whether they be afk or feeding, the snowball affect as the other team farms and levels, is too great to overcome once it reaches a certain point.

Benefits

04-05-2011

The concept is sound mathematically; you will always reach your true elo eventually. It's called elo hell not because it's impossible to get out but because it takes ****ing forever. It's frustrating because I'm obviously better than 90% of the people I get in games with and I'd like to be at my true elo now versus 100 games from now.

Trickbaby

04-05-2011

there seems to be a very distinct division between the players who WANT to play ranked, and the players who are just there cuz they are level 30.

considering how often you run into the same people who genuinely DO NOT CARE if they are ruining the game for those who want to compete, within ranked, the disparagy is that there are fewer of those types the higher ELO you go... therefore, it would be safe to say that at least the higher ELO players have a better chance at success, simply due to the fact that they have teammates who want to win just as badly.

Benefits

04-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickbaby View Post
there seems to be a very distinct division between the players who WANT to play ranked, and the players who are just there cuz they are level 30..
I agree, I think there are a lot of players who play ranked just because they can when in actuality they have no interest in improving or learning the metagame.

Druiddroid

04-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickbaby View Post
unfortunately, it doesn't matter how consistent you play if your team is down a person... whether they be afk or feeding, the snowball affect as the other team farms and levels, is too great to overcome once it reaches a certain point.
Of course. If the enemy team has straight up better players, you will lose that game. But if you are better than the majority of players in your ELO, you should end up winning more than 50% of your games in the long run.

Food D 2010

04-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druiddroid View Post
Of course. If the enemy team has straight up better players, you will lose that game. But if you are better than the majority of players in your ELO, you should end up winning more than 50% of your games in the long run.
With hundreds games you played, you need a winning ratio far more than 50% to pull your rating up in the long run. Because the loss is being greater than gain per game.

12345 ... 10