Viewable 'Total Gold Earned" stat in-game

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

vvr

04-10-2011

it would instantly show how good have you been playing in the current game and how well have you spent the money
its hard to know just by quickly looking at the creep score and kills / deaths / assists and build, because its impossible to know how much an assist and a kill are worth, when you assist get money from a pool, and that pull is divided among all the champions that helped to get that kill, so you can actually get really low numbers from assist, also champions that die a lot give less money, that means less money for the killer and assistant.
there are also things you cant see like are gold runes and the mastery, and items that gold per 5 secs
it would also help to improve yourself, you can look at the total gold earned at the 10 min mark and compare how good has been your laning phase

Quote:
I actually do not like this idea, since people do not have an idea of the total cost of each individuals build.
but you can see someone elses total gold acquired, and check his build and see how well did he spent the money

it could also be usefull to see a gold vs time chart at the end, with the total damage done etc, where you can see if you had too many lapses without gaining money

Treecamel

04-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Interesting idea, but I think total gold would be a better indicator of progress in the game. Item builds can be really change depending on team comp and how the other people in the game are building. I don't know that percentage of a fixed build would give productive information.

I would be interested to hear what kind of knowledge people think they can infer from total gold or that they think the current scoreboard does not do a good job of conveying.
I think from any newcomers standpoint it's hard to infer what exactly their kills and assists are doing compared to other peoples in their current game. Also I believe that a lot of people still don't understand the importance of last hitting a minion for their gold. I think a direct gold amount would help people realize that they're doing something wrong as just seeing a "creep score" doesn't implicitly mean extra gold.

Opreich

04-10-2011

I aslo want to see a stat, Wards Placed.

Ko Hakoo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-10-2011

Well for one thing, kills can significantly vary in value. The person who has 1 kill could very well have earned more bounty gold than someone with 4 or more kills.

Person 1 kills a legendary enemy: gets 1000 gold
Person 2 kills a feeding enemy: gets 90ish gold

Currently those are shown as the same thing on the score board, and can be misleading as to who is really fed and who is just captializing on a bad opponent.

skyqula

04-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umahr View Post
I actually do not like this idea, since people do not have an idea of the total cost of each individuals build. IF anything, I would like to see customizable recommended items for each champion, then it takes

(total gold earned - gold spent on wards/potions/elixirs) / (total cost of build) *100%

This way, we actually a quick percentage about how close they are to their build, instead of a gold value
1 problem with that, annyone would just pick 6 times the most exspensive item on carry's and make it look like they arent even close to completing a build, while say some support or tank would pick alot fo cheap items in order to make them look raely fed, when they realy arent.

Umahr

04-11-2011

Quote:
Interesting idea, but I think total gold would be a better indicator of progress in the game. Item builds can be really change depending on team comp and how the other people in the game are building. I don't know that percentage of a fixed build would give productive information.

I would be interested to hear what kind of knowledge people think they can infer from total gold or that they think the current scoreboard does not do a good job of conveying.

I do realize that build are situational, but if you have the ability to change the recommended items, most people have a core, and can change the recommended when they die sometime to reflect their current goal for the game. Total gold earned, to me at least, does not seem like a good enough indicator, because the person may be warding like crazy, buying elixirs, etc which does not help toward a final build directly. Also the average relative gold value of a complete build varies a lot based on the type of character you are playing, thus making the total gold earned stat less helpful then it might appear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyqula View Post
1 problem with that, annyone would just pick 6 times the most exspensive item on carry's and make it look like they arent even close to completing a build, while say some support or tank would pick alot fo cheap items in order to make them look raely fed, when they realy arent.
It cannot be perfect. but if they are decieving the team like that, they would probably go for the minion wave regardless of you asking them not too. By the way this % gold would only be visible to your own team. Would not make sense to let opponents know your build.

Arrlaari

04-11-2011

Quote:

Aggregating creepscore, KDA,and global gold gains in your head is not a trivial task, especially with the bounty system and variable gold value of creeps.

Also, it's sometimes not clear if Dragon was successfully stolen, as the +g display can be delayed and not everyone has their champion on camera all the time. Being able to quickly check for a bump in gold earned across your whole team could clarify that matter.

I believe, like ult readiness, that gold earned should be visible only for friendly champions. It's already measured in the post-game stats.

MeditationError

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-11-2011

Quote:
Build tank for the enemies with the highest gold, as they're almost certainly the most dangerous.

It would be amazingly helpful for new players to learn the raw power of farm. I can remember being in games where a master Yi just farmed quietly for the whole game, and no-one on our team could understand how he could be so incredibly murderous with no kills.

I think it would *massively* accelerate the learning curve of laning - newer players tend to focus on harassing and trying to get kills, and better players tend to focus on last-hitting, because the gold is so much better. It might be very educational to come out of a lane where you kept your opponent at half health for the whole lane, but they earned twice as much money as you did and went on to dominate the match.

Similarly with denying - it would be great to be able to point to the reduced income on the other side, and it might help spot people struggling on your own side too. It would communicate the same as CS in this case, but even with CS gold is a clearer metric because a caster minion, a cannon and a rune are all 1 CS, but the cannon is worth a lot more gold.

It may or may not be good for highlighting the differences between tank/supports and carries. I'm not sure whether teammates would be impressed at how much a Janna or Alistar can still contribute with no farm, or whether they'd just give the support player grief for sucking with so little money - it may reinforce the carry mentality that seems to poison mid elo. On the other hand, it would highlight assist money, which might encourage more people to play support.

It would also help in explaining why jungling is so important if you can actually point at the jungler's team and see how much extra gold the jungler has taken in (even without dragon control). (It's much rarer now, but I used to see people complain about junglers).

Mostly, though, it would just help with optimizing your own play. Gold earned is an incredibly important stat, and being able to check in it game would help you set benchmarks, e.g. comparing your earnings at a specific time in a game where you had some good ganks vs a game where you had a good farm, and using that information to make decisions about whether to gank or not.