Gragas - From a player that makes the announcer call Gragas "Legendary"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KingsRight

02-19-2010

Yes, you heard it. When i play Gragas, i own!

I am usually unstoppable. Sometimes i am even "Legendary" as the announcer calls it. Hell, sometimes i dont even die in the match. and that is coming from a lvl 30 that wins against stacked teams.

So why is it so many Gragas player's suck then?
Answer: They do the recommended build.. that currently states that he should have AP and Cooldown-redux.

This is incorrect. He doesn't need either.. Cooldown redux is only useful for long-cooldowns. And getting AP ruin's his "Tank" status.

If you want to own, and own hard, you build him like a tank.
Or rather.. build him like I build him, specifically.

And play him aggressively.

Non of this "standing back and chucking barrels" **** that i see so many doing.

Forget that strategy. You chase them down! and chase them hard!

My build, in the order that you buy them:

As fast as you can, rush to get:
1. Innervating Locket (yes, believe it or not, this is your key item and will give you all the mana you will ever need.)

Then, after you get that, lane until you can buy

2. Boots of Swiftness

Then start killing/ganging hero's and neutral-ling a lot.
and save up for:

3. Flame Cape

Those 3 items are your main, unchangeable items.

After that..for items 4, 5 and 6 the items you get depend on the other team's hero's and builds.

if you are being hit by a lot of magic damage, strongly consider Force of nature, or Banshee's veil for more regen or health.
if it's dps you are worried about, get another Flame Cape and/or Thornmail.

so his key items are all about defense, health boosts and passive damage.

Now, why is this build so good?

Because his spells are spammable and that innervating locket benefits him more than it does on Alistar simply because he can cast more stuff in any frame of time, giving him more regen and helping allies stay alive.

Also, when he is "Drunk" his damage redux received seems so much stronger when paired with the armor's and health.

Also, his "Happy Hour" passive is % hp.. so the higher you have your hp, the more you will regen in those short periods, allowing you to stay in the fight longer.

So, that's how you stay alive. but what about killing?

It's all in the chase-downs and deuling.

You must remember that gragas can constantly Body Slam his way into the heat of the action.. and that is why few hero's benefit as much as he does from Flamecapes and thornmail. that passive area damage makes him a terrible threat because few hero's can chase-down other hero's like Gragas can. Burning them the whole way...

And meanwhile, you chuck barrels at them to tick down their life further and sometimes get the kill.

----------------------

How to kill with barrels:

Place them WAY AHEAD of where you think the player is going because it takes time for it to travel there before you can pop it.

When ganging or pushing, use your ultimate by placing a barrel behind them to push the enemy towards your team to finish them off.

---------------------

How to Tank for your Team, and Survive:

You must remember that you are a tank. You get to start the battles. You will be as much of an "Initiator" as Blitzcrank is due to your ultimate and dash ability (body slam).

Your job is simply this:

1. Get drunk

2. body slam your way into them or towards them.

3. Launch your ultimate and seperate their team, knocking at least one guy towards you and your team.

4. kill him. and get drunk again.

5. chase them down til they unload their spells on you.

6. Body-slam your way out of there and run to the back of your team while your team dives in after them while the enemie's spells are on cooldown.

7. follow behind your team while casting barrels into the fight, long range and dashing and getting drunk.. cast everything to keep "happy hour" and "Innervating locket" healing you and your allies..

8. After you have healed up some and got the enemy off your back you charge back in and start cleaning house. usually half their team is low health now and your passive's will burn the rest away.. and slamming them will help, along with some barrels.. usually giving you the kill while your team is on their cooldowns or are too weak to pursue.

Oh, and ALWAYS remember to stay drunk, constantly.
Even in the middle of a fight and enemies are pounding on you.. if it wears off stop moving and get drunk. it may mean 1 second you aren't getting away.. but believe me, you will have a much greater chance of surviving then just trying to make a run for it. Unless if you are already getting away and to stop for 1 second would mean them catching up.. that is the only time you dont get drunk.

and remember, it helps you heal to do so. When i'm playing happy-hour is rarely not in effect.. even if i dont need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carleton View Post
Not a bad concept but you don't mention anything about masteries or runes.
oh yeah, forgot about those.
i haven't really tested many different combo's of runes or masteries with him. For me though, i have most points put in defense and some put into utility.. nothing in damage.

as for runes i focus on armor and cooldown type's and a little bit of armor pen so slam hits harder since it's physical. but primarily armor boosting kinds.. the idea is to make you tank even more. I think my runes only give me like a 5% cooldown redux at lvl 18. Since i said cooldown redux isn't needed it may be beneficial to not use that rune type and get more defense. I only use it in my book due to my use of certain other champs and didn't want to make a new page.

Oh, and for the Summoner Spells.. I use Cleanse and Haste. You want those so you can chase them down and let nothing stop you.

Extra Tip: Cast Body-Slam any time you are slowed or snared as it will allow you to move for a short duration, ignoring those effects like a bull-dozer.

Carleton

02-19-2010

Not a bad concept but you don't mention anything about masteries or runes.

freykin

02-20-2010

Fancy ideas, never thought about innervating on him. I'll have to give this a go!

edit: this worked amazingly well. The innervating was extremely helpful, thanks for showing me a new way to play him.

RamboBatman

02-20-2010

I haven't played a whole lot of gragas (mostly because he draws queue-dodgers worse than warwick) but it definetely seems like tanking is the way to go. I've tried innervating locket and its really amazing how durable it makes you, not to mention your team. Good guide to an underplayed champ, my only suggestion would be the addition of Spirit Visage after the sunfire cape. Exec. Calling is so ubiquitous these days that the healing increase is probably necessary in most games. Visage is cheap, soft-counters the execs carried by physical dps, gives you some more MR vs casters, and gives you a little CD-reduction to boot, sounds like a good deal to me.

Joru

02-20-2010

I'm going to ask the same question that I ask about every straight-tank Gragas build: why would the enemies ever, ever be attacking you? You're not doing any real damage (Drunken Brawler is nice, but it isn't enough to single-handedly make your autoattacks a brutal killing force, and Body Slam does nothing if the damage gets split), you're not debuffing the enemy team significantly (apart form the modest slow on Body Slam, which is very difficult to put on strategically-important enemies because of how awkward its mechanics are), and they KNOW you're super-durable. What's stopping them from totally ignoring you and killing your carry or casters? If they're smart enough to do so, what are you doing to stop them after you've burned your ultimate?

vanin

02-20-2010

after you pop ur ult, u have nothing to stop the enemy from ripping apart ur dps.

ur not gonna get the ideal result from your ult everytime.

e.g. they see the ult coming and flash

KingsRight

02-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joru View Post
I'm going to ask the same question that I ask about every straight-tank Gragas build: why would the enemies ever, ever be attacking you? You're not doing any real damage (Drunken Brawler is nice, but it isn't enough to single-handedly make your autoattacks a brutal killing force, and Body Slam does nothing if the damage gets split), you're not debuffing the enemy team significantly (apart form the modest slow on Body Slam, which is very difficult to put on strategically-important enemies because of how awkward its mechanics are), and they KNOW you're super-durable. What's stopping them from totally ignoring you and killing your carry or casters? If they're smart enough to do so, what are you doing to stop them after you've burned your ultimate?
that is very true. that does happen from time to time. that is why you stick your neck out there as much as you can.. it's not uncommon for me to go ahead of my team quite a bit that it's too much trouble for them to move around me and go after them that they fall for the temptation to just empty their spells on me.

but if they do choose to attack me, then i turn around, cleanse/haste and body-slam my way back as they are 5-man beating the hell out of me and then my team is usually all over them.
Or if my barrel ult is up i will seperate them and single one out.

sometimes i can die from this, of course.. but more often than not this has turned a battle in my favor. Gragas can tank pretty well.. as much as a fed chogath even if you build right.

KingsRight

02-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanin View Post
after you pop ur ult, u have nothing to stop the enemy from ripping apart ur dps.

ur not gonna get the ideal result from your ult everytime.

e.g. they see the ult coming and flash
it is true that you will miss your ult here and there. but you have to move like you aren't going to cast it. often enemies can sense the barrel ult coming before you cast by watching how you are approaching them.

so you have to try to be a little unpredictable.

examples: casting straight out of fogged areas or Brush or walking back and then turning around fast to cast or body-slamming toward to "dash" in and then casting.

it can be tricky but i normally nail someone with my barrel and land them in the clutches of my team. I would go so far as to say i have become good enough at this that it's almost as dependable as blitzcrank's rocketgrab. you just need practice.. cast it way ahead of them because by the time it lands, it slams them just right.

and to answer what you said about after you use your ult and the enemy ripping us appart.. that is the wrong way to use your ult. That is GOOD if you happen to have it ready and the enemies are tearing apart your team.. naturally.
but when it comes down to both teams are awaiting for eachother to make their move, that is when you are the initiator with it.

a lot of it is also learning to sense how the enemy team plays to learn their patterns. but more often than not, use your ult offensively.

All i know is.. that's what i do.. and i win a lot cuz of it. i've played against gragas's before and i have yet to see a gragas own near as hard. but that may change now that i wrote a guide. i'm sure some of you will perfect my game and take it to a whole new level.

xXHyorimaruXx

02-21-2010

Thanks for posting this. This makes me want to play gragas again.
Argh double IP weekend is over

FishermanFrenzy

02-22-2010

Not bad, but at least nothing new for me.
I've been playing since he was released and until now it's my main character.

Someone wrote a tank guide before, focussed on tank / support instead of tank / dd.
Same game anyway and with soul shroud + frozen heart your team gains also great cooldown reduction.
Advantage: Your drunken rage is always ready when it wears out, well pretty nice with the def tree -> steady 30% dmg reduciton.
In addition you can spamm your spells + ulti and if you know how to place them it makes a very big diffrence in the game.

As far as I can judge this, if you play your type or the one I mentioned it above it doesn't really maybe any diffrence at all - Gragas is an all the way forward tank. I love to open any fight, don't care about towers, with flash + ulti.
Right placed, 2 enemys are down easily and then just head forwards to get them all.... nearly like playing pokemon.

I myself prefer hp runes, just with one reason. If you already have 30% damage reduction, why do you need more?
You can get 500 hp through runes - multiplied with the reduction your drunken rage, you gain effective (500/70*100=) 714 hp .
Pretty good for those runes isn't it?

Anyway I think the character has some big issues:
Charge is not really useable - it's useful but sometimes he charges into weird directions. Don't ask me why it just happens sometimes to me. In addition it's hard to aim with it.

The ulti is the hardest using skill i've ever seen. The vector is calculated with the position of the character and the middle the the circle. Within the flight time you can make 1 or 2 steps, enough to change the vector drasticly. Your have to have the right timing and place but.... if you're opponents make some unpredictable moves it's '''''' up.
Plus every creep which wasn't knocked back can block your target, each god **** destroyed tower can block the way from your target etc....
Too much which can go wrong, really.

Gragas has potential, indeed, and he's for me already a good char even for pwning people (they underrate him and I love it) but compared with Cho'Gath there is still some work to do.

The next patch fixes some of this problems and improves him really really much.

Nowadays I play with a friend of mine of is a Karthus player and I've never seen 2 guys on a lane who got more lane control then us 2 except for lame combos such as blitz crank and heimer....
Our enemys were just buried alive, really I'm not kidding.

Good played he can own some.... but with bad luck he can really destroy whole games.
It also depends on your elo rating...

Almost forgot:
You can throw your barrels on mushrooms and they explode - pretty nice.
Works also with traps of Nidalee - so if you're not sure if the place is "mined" try it with your barrel.

It's also sad to see that always people metion something like "are you sure with playing gragas" in every public game. Of course if they don't leave the game instantly....
There is no reason why, only because they saw some bad playing guys? You're kidding right?.....
This is just sad.