IP Gain Simulator/Chart

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kittoes

04-04-2011

I got bored yesterday at work and wrote a file that would simulate a certain amount of games under a set of conditions and spit out the results. Attached are two screenshots of the results of the simulation under the following conditions (65,000 games simulated):

• Games Per Day: 10
  • Delay Between Games: 5 minutes
  • Win Ratio: 50%
  • Normal Game Length: 20-35 minutes
  • Abnormal Game Length: 15-19 minutes and 36-70 minutes
  • % of Games in Normal Range: 50%
  • % of Games Below Normal Range: 10%

Results;

"Normal" Game Time Range: 20-35 minutes.
IP/Minute - Old: 2.393
IP/Minute - New: 2.304
Average Game Length: 38.37 minutes.

So, yes, IP gains are slightly down. No, it's that that big of a deal since you're losing roughly 0.125 IP/minute under the new system if you're the average player. An average player probably has a 50/50 Win:Loss ratio and 50% or so of his/her games are going to fall within the normal range of 20-35 minutes. The other 50% of those games will fall outside of that range. However, a longer game for the average player is probably about 10x more likely than a shorter one.

BUT! People have also been making the connection that game times are shorter so obviously we're losing out on more IP! The above assumptions is under what I considered current "normal" game times and how often they occur. Below is the results when the simulator is run with settings that closer match the older game format:

"Normal" Game Time Range: 25-40 minutes.
IP/Minute - Old: 2.200
IP/Minute - New: 2.257
Average Game Length: 41.78 minutes.

Comparing the old system vs the new, we see that average IP/minute on the new system with the new times is 2.304/minute vs the old system with the old times coming in at 2.200/minute. This would mean that we would actually see a net gain of 0.104 IP/minute.

FYI:
All of these are assumptions, so feel free to plug in your own numbers and run the simulator under a variety of conditions. Personally I'd probably set it so that a longer game is 25x more likely than a shorter one for myself since I can't remember the last time I had one. I'd also probably set my normal range to 25-40 minutes since I duo queue a lot and we never surrender. If that's all I change, then I end up with a slight boost to my IP gains: Old - 2.157/min. vs New - 2.244/min.

Also, please feel free to check my work for errors as I have gone back and added/changed countless things throughout the development of the sheet and it's entirely possible that I ****ed something up in the process.

IP System Settings:

Old System: 50.5 base for losing, gaining 0.5 IP/minute up to a maximum of 72 at 43 minutes with a minimum of 63 IP per game at or before 25 minutes. 143 base for winning, losing 1 IP/minute up to a minimum of 102 at 43 minutes with a maximum of 119 IP per game at or before 25 minutes.

New System: 16 base for losing, gaining 1.446 IP/minute up to a maximum of 94 at 55 minutes. 18 base for winning, gaining 2.2895 IP/minute up to a maximum of 144 IP at 55 minutes.

Edit: Wanted to credit my sources/inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire393 View Post
Old IP System: 120 IP for a win at or before 25 minutes, minus 1 IP per minute to a minimum of 102 at 43 minutes.
63 IP for a loss at or before 25 minutes, plus a half an IP per minute to a maximum of 72 IP at 43 minutes.

New IP System: 76 IP for a win at or before 25 minutes, plus a little more than 2 IP per minute to a maximum of 144 IP at 55 minutes.
52 Ip for a loss at or before 25 minutes, plus 1.4 IP per minute to a maximum of 94 IP at 55 minutes.
http://eu.leagueoflegends.com/board/...0&d=1298071128 - Chart I matched my end results to.
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board....php?p=6311778 - Zileas's post regarding IP gain alterations.
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...0&highlight=ip - Tamat's post regarding XP changes.

Edit 2: Added change log. Attachments and post updated to reflect changes made.

Bug- Fixed a major issue with one of the calculations. Old system loss cap was set to 94 instead of 72 (a lesson in why you shouldn't copy/paste code).
Change- Altered the formulas for the new and old system to (hopefully) better match source posts.
Change- Added 2 charts to the Results tab that show IP gained/minute for a loss/win on each system (basically a copy of the attached source chart since the math works out).

Wonton55

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-04-2011

Hmm... I like it. A man after my own heart.

Edit: I upped Normal Game Low/Normal Game High/Abnormal Game Low by 5 minutes each (25/40/20), because I think that is more typical for the games I play (I've literally never won in less than 20 minutes), and the IP loss with the new system decreased further, something like 0.05-0.08 IP/minute. Which is literally negligible.

Kittoes

04-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonton55 View Post
Hmm... I like it. A man after my own heart.

Edit: I upped Normal Game Low/Normal Game High/Abnormal Game Low by 5 minutes each (25/40/20), because I think that is more typical for the games I play (I've literally never won in less than 20 minutes), and the IP loss with the new system decreased further, something like 0.05-0.08 IP/minute. Which is literally negligible.
Exactly. There's a lot of different conditions that can apply to different people but, for most, the system should be nearly identical. Others will see a slight benefit. The majority of the people affected by this seem to be people who instantly surrender at 20 minutes and/or people with A LOT of abnormally quick games.

IivenotoneviI

04-04-2011

Can you tell me how you got the data for the old IP? Did you save it? Doesn't seem likely that someone would track IP without knowing they were going to change it.

Kaeoz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-04-2011

Nope. According to your simulator, I've lost 20 IP/hour

Kittoes

04-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorry for ksing View Post
Can you tell me how you got the data for the old IP? Did you save it? Doesn't seem likely that someone would track IP without knowing they were going to change it.
The data is simulated based off of the old IP formula. A set of games is generated with randomized results based off of the settings on the sheet. The IP gain is a set value based on the results of each game. Example: 38 minutes would net 107 IP under the old system and 105 under the new system.

The formulas I used for calculating the IP earned for each system are:

Old System:
Code:
Function OldIP(iDuration As Integer, bEndResult As Boolean) As Double

Const dBaseLoss As Double = 50.5
Const iBaseWin As Integer = 143
Const dPerMinDecay As Double = 1
Const dPerMinGain As Double = 0.5
Const iLossCap As Integer = 72
Const iLossMin As Integer = 63
Const iWinCap As Integer = 119
Const iWinMin As Integer = 102

If bEndResult Then
    OldIP = iBaseWin + (-dPerMinDecay * iDuration)
    If OldIP < iWinMin Then
        OldIP = iWinMin
    Else
        If OldIP > iWinCap Then
            OldIP = iWinCap
        End If
    End If
Else
    OldIP = dBaseLoss + (dPerMinGain * iDuration)
    If OldIP < iLossMin Then
        OldIP = iLossMin
    Else
        If OldIP > iLossCap Then
            OldIP = iLossCap
        End If
    End If
End If

End Function

New System:
Code:
Function NewIP(iDuration As Integer, bEndResult As Boolean) As Double

Const iBonusLoss As Integer = 16
Const iBonusWin As Integer = 18
Const dPerMinGainLoss As Double = 1.446
Const dPerMinGainWin As Double = 2.2895
Const iLossCap As Integer = 94
Const iWinCap As Integer = 144

If bEndResult Then
    NewIP = iBonusWin + (dPerMinGainWin * iDuration)
    If NewIP > iWinCap Then
        NewIP = iWinCap
    End If
Else
    NewIP = iBonusLoss + (dPerMinGainLoss * iDuration) - 1
    If NewIP > iLossCap Then
        NewIP = iLossCap
    End If
End If

End Function

Eotw

04-04-2011

You do realize the old IP system is only valid with the old times for games, right?

As soon as you look at the new times, you can only look at the new system.

IivenotoneviI

04-04-2011

Yes, I'm aware how you used the data. I'm asking how you came to acquire the old data.

Kittoes

04-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eotw View Post
You do realize the old IP system is only valid with the old times for games, right?

As soon as you look at the new times, you can only look at the new system.
Except that you can plug in whatever times you want to so that argument is kind of invalid... I COULD write in another set of code and implement settings for old game times and new game times but you could also just plug in the different times and run the simulator twice to get your comparison.

Kittoes

04-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorry for ksing View Post
Yes, I'm aware how you used the data. I'm asking how you came to acquire the old data.
Based off of the chart that Pendragon, or whatever mod it was, that posted the chart with the new vs old IP gains. I kept changing numbers until my settings for each formula and their results for each minute were an exact match. I'll see if I can find it.

Worth noting is that it's entirely possible that anything less than 25 minutes is inaccurate since their chart started at 25 minutes and stopped at the cap (43 minutes for old, 55 minutes for new).

Edit: Here it is! http://eu.leagueoflegends.com/board/...0&d=1298071128

12345 ... 6